Just bought our new baby:) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Wisconsin
Just bought our new baby:)

Hello all,
We are new to the world of fiberglass campers having just bought our first, a 1980 Trillium 5500 Everything seems to be in decent shape. As far as we can see it is just in major need of some serious cleaning and a few easy fixes. I've been working all day cleaning the 'elephant skin' interior and have so far dumped out 3 large buckets of very brown rinse water from my efforts I haven't even gotten to the ceiling yet! It is adorable though and we get wait to get it all fixed up and take it out for a weekend of camping with our 3 and 6 year old kids. We are taking it into an RV dealership just to have them give it a once-over to make sure the stove and furnace and other mechanicals are safe to use since we are newbies and don't feel comfortable making that decision ourselves. (The man we bought it from said everything works)
One thing-a previous owner removed the front dinette and converted it into a permanent bed platform with storage underneath instead. We are looking to have a custom mattress made to fit the area. Has anyone else done this? Any suggestions? We're thinking we'll use it as a futon-type sitting area during the day with cushions and pillows along the back like a couch and then of course a bed at night.
Thanks!
Nicole and John
Zuge Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. Good choice in brands. While at the RV place have them grease the bearings and check and adjust the brakes. Also you should check the date on the tires.

Pictures are always welcome. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Nicole, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

You are embarking on a journey that's going to provide your entire family with some life long memories. Be sure to take lots of pictures (and share with us ).

Ditto to what Raz said.

BTW: you can cut foam with an electric knive... cut likes butter DON'T sneeze! A piece of foam may work for your needs.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #4

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Some futon shops will make a mattress to your dimensions with minimal surcharge above cost of mattress that size. Did that for a home built school bus camper master bed. We wanted it 4" narrower than a standard Full/Double width mattress to leave more floor space for changing.

Yellow pages for Elkhart Indiana might be a good source for custom cushions. Many RV's are manufactured there so there are lots of shops that supply cushions and will make to your dimensions, one we contancted sent us fabric samples in the mail. Price was pretty decent.
Also a lot of RV salvage shops around Elkhart. Wife like shipshawana shopping, guess where I like to shop in that area?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I suggest you look up "Memory Foam" in the "Search" feature of this forum for entries written previously by other folks. Following is my posting which talks about our mattress solution for a bed that converts to a dinette in our 13' Scamp. You can cut memory foam with a serrated knife. A long bread knife works well. If you or someone you know has basic sewing skills, this project is totally doable. If not, perhaps the people who do alterations at the cleaners would do the sewing for you. You can also look up this project on the Internet.

"We had the same concerns for our 2011 13' Scamp. The seating cushions turned out to be so uncomfortable (like sleeping on a table) we finally splurged and purchased a 2" memory foam topper from Target for about $30. I cut the foam to the exact size of the bed then cut it into two long strips each 22 1/2" wide by 76" long. One cushion is a rectangle and the other has two curves to match the inside of the Scamp. I covered each memory foam piece with 100% cotton knit (think T-shirt soft) as if it were a cushion, with a zipper on the end. Now we have the softest, cushiest, mattress pad! We sleep right on the pad and on top of us we place one or more comforters depending on the temperature. In warmer weather we sleep between the two comforters; one on top and one on the bottom. This method eliminates the need for sheets. We wash the mattress cover and comforters (as needed) after each trip.

As for storage; each 1/2 mattress cover rolls into a cylinder about 22 1/2" wide by 10" high (each one is about the size of one sleeping bag). We secure the roll with luggage straps and store the rolls under the dinette bench (see photo). The bigger question is where to store the comforters! I have several solutions. #1) For when I leave the bed set up for the day. (see photo) Fold the comforter in half (mine are about 90" wide by 76" long) so they are 45" wide by 76" long. When folded this way they fit flat on top of the bed when it is set up and looks like a neatly made-up bed. #2) Fold the comforter in half and place over the dinette cushions (no photo). Put one comforter over each dinette chair and tuck in over the top, at the seat back and over the cushion front. This way the comforters add a decorative touch to the seats without requiring more storage space. #3 More recently, I roll the comforters over a cylinder (ask for an empty fabric roll from a fabric store) a little over 45" wide (2-3" diameter) and secure the roll with luggage straps (see photo). I place the roll resting between the dinette chairs spanning the leg space under the table (no photo). This way the comforters are out of the way and ready to use at a moment's notice without using precious cargo space!

I'd also like to share another bedding tip (see photos). You can see in my photos that I have two medium-weight comforters with two different designs. Depending on my decorating mood I put one or the other design on top. A big issue for my husband and me is the shifting of covers in the night. We each have different preferences for covers AND the covers tend to shift and fall off during the night. We ruled out sleeping bags or zippers connecting the comforters as being too confining and hot. The solution we came up with is to connect the comforters with loop and button connectors. It is easy for me to unbutton one comforter layer while my husband sleeps blissfully with two comforters!"
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 025.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 026.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 028.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 030.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #6

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Trillium 5500
Wisconsin
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the mattress. Great to have some leads of where/what to start looking for
~Nicole
PS- Raz, your Golden looks just like ours!
Zuge Family is offline   Reply With Quote