Just joined, saying hi - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Just joined, saying hi

Hello everyone,
I chose the name Oldballer, because I played Rugby in high school, and baseball in college years ago. I don't know, I may change it.
I just joined this site because, like many others, I'm interested in a fiberglass travel trailer. Never had a trailer before, but have camped in the back of a pickup with an insulated cap. Other than that, I've always been a tent camper, and unless I'm backpacking, I've had about enough of that. My brother just bought a new travel trailer, and my brother in law just upgraded his large trailer to a smaller unit. After much research, I've decided I want a fiberglass trailer.

I'm ready to buy, so I came here to look for used and do more research. I'm not afraid of buying used. I can fix things. I've been a self employed sole proprietor contractor and do-it-yourselfer for over 30 years. Nothing is really that difficult if you work smart, have the proper tools, and can improvise.
It's just my wife and I, so a smaller trailer will be fine and a huge upgrade over tenting. We're leaning towards the dual axle Bigfoot and Escapes if I can find one nearby, and may also look at a Casita Deluxe. Also hard to find locally.
Why doesn't someone make these on the east coast???
Anyhow, best regards
Oldballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:31 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Welcome to the forum John.

It sounds like you are prepared to enjoy a travel trailer. There's always either something "gone wrong", or for the stubborn, something that just "could be better". They are great platforms for tinkering.

While they all have the common factor of molded shells, there's quite a few differences between Bigfoot, Escape and Casita. It's generally best to spend time in them to see and feel what sort of space and storage each will offer.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi John. Welcome to the world of molded fiberglass trailers. You'll not find a friendlier or more helpful group. Happy hunting and let us know what you wind up with.
I assume that's Lansdale, PA?
If you can find a rally to visit (see elsewhere on the forum)that's probably the best way to see several brands to help decide.

Walt
Old 08-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
I found a 21RB foot Bigfoot that is 15 years old and the new owner has never used it as they just bought it. Says in excellent condition, but at 25 grand I don't know if that's a good value or not from someone that has not had any experience with the trailer. The blue book says the average base is $12,550. Not sure if I'm allowed to ask this, but what does a Bigfoot 21RB go for when they are 15 years old and the description is not that great? I'd have to travel across several states to see it.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
You should spend some time going through the sold listings here to get an idea of historic sales.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-trailers-sold

Even though they only show the last asking price in these listings of sold trailers, actual sale prices on these trailers are generally in line with what was asked. You can also select other brands at the linked site too.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
John. You have to ignore Blue Book and similar lists when it comes to fiberglass.
From what I've seen recently, $25k sounds about right to me provided it's in good shape. I get the sense that prices on good used FG have been going up a bit. Over the past 10 years I've sold 4 and seen the same models recently asking more than I sold them for.
It would be nice if you could find someone knowledgeable nearby to take a look at it.

Walt
Old 08-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #7
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
John IMHO before I would spend $25 on a 15 yr. old 21' Bigfoot I would consider spending $30 on a new 21' Escape with a 2 yr. warranty. Good luck.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
I appreciate the input. We are going to take it a little slower and check some out before making a decision. The rally idea sounded good, and I have written to Escape to see if there is someone local that has signed on to let others look at their trailer. Looking through youtube video's is nice, but actually looking seems to be the best. I just can't drive 400 miles to go look see. The guy with the Bigfoot just sent me a whole bunch more pictures. Looks good in the pics, and looking at sold pics in comparison, it looks as nice as a newer one. Price wise, it's at the high end, but I'm reluctant because it just seems like the guy is flipping it. It's a fun trip so far, and I haven't even gone anywhere.