Kinda new guy in South Carolina - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: Oliver Elite II (Pick up in April 2018)
South Carolina
Kinda new guy in South Carolina

Hello folks, My name is Ray. I'm a 61yr old newly retired due to a herniated disc. I've been on this site before asking questions but I never did properly introduce myself. I've owned several stick built campers over the years always progressing toward one with easy maintenance. I hated the rubber roof and all the bad things that come with them. I saw my first FGC in 2002. It was a little Scamp and I was very interested in the concept of fiberglass construction.
Well here I am 15yrs later and I'm about to buy my first fiberglass and I hope my last camper. I have a place in line to purchase a Scamp 5th wheel and would take delivery in May 2018. Then I read about the Oliver. Well unless I really don't like the camper when I visit the plant this Wednesday I'm probably going to purchase one. It just has all the stuff I want like solar, great battery placement and other electronics to keep you connected. I also like the fact that there is no wood to root. I know they are expensive but they offer what I want and they are made in the USA.
MrBig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From a Scamp to an Oliver... That's a big jump! I agree that molded fiberglass (of any stripe) is the way to go, having owned a few conventional RVs is myself.

I also suffered a herniated disc over 25 years ago. I can attest that with therapy, exercise, and some adjustments to lifestyle, there is life after a disc injury. Having a camper with a raised bed is one of the adjustments. No more sleeping bags on the ground!

Best wishes selecting the right trailer for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome Ray from the North Western part of Oconee County South Carolina!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
weicome ray from mo

welcome ray hope your disc problems don't turn into mine its not fun.

good luck on the new camper

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
From a Scamp to an Oliver... That's a big jump! I agree that molded fiberglass (of any stripe) is the way to go, having owned a few conventional RVs is myself.

I also suffered a herniated disc over 25 years ago. I can attest that with therapy, exercise, and some adjustments to lifestyle, there is life after a disc injury. Having a camper with a raised bed is one of the adjustments. No more sleeping bags on the ground!

Best wishes selecting the right trailer for you!
Hi Jon, good to meet you. Yes the price difference between an Oliver and a Scamp is quite profound. Oliver is the only American Made 4 season fiberglass camper. I've compared them to Bigfoot and Escape really not that much difference in quality. It was the technology packages, 4 season ability and being US made that sealed the deal for me. If I'm shelling out that much money I want it to stay in my country. Old steel mill worker here, can't help it. The 5th wheel Scamp is just so cool and at their price you can afford to upgrade them. No slam at all to Scamp. I still like that camper. I just wasn't sure if I'd be able to pull off the work physically so I'm opting for the ready made deal.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:52 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Welcome Ray from the North Western part of Oconee County South Carolina!
Hey there, Berkeley County here right next to Lake Moultrie. Love the Oconee area and the State park named after it.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
welcome ray hope your disc problems don't turn into mine its not fun.

good luck on the new camper

bob
Bob, you got me worried now. I've never hurt like that in my life. I almost picked the doctor up and kissed him on top of his head after I got fixed up. What happened to you to make it worse?
Old 10-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might want to research all the bits that make up an Oliver, Escape, Scamp or Casita, and the bits that make up those bits.
You might have to change your requirement to "assembled in the USA" ( from parts made all over the world ).

Brother Baglo.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You might want to research all the bits that make up an Oliver, Escape, Scamp or Casita, and the bits that make up those bits.
You might have to change your requirement to "assembled in the USA" ( from parts made all over the world ).

Brother Baglo.
The factory's in the US. Close enough.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
The factory's in the US. Close enough.
Couldn't have said it better myself. At my plant we got components from all over the world but our steel was made in the USA. Like I said, sorry I can't help myself. lol
Old 10-29-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
LOL. I carry a Leatherman and a Maglite on my belt, because they are good products. That's my criteria.
Have a read of this for fun: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/05...od-enough.html
Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
LOL. I carry a Leatherman and a Maglite on my belt, because they are good products. That's my criteria.
Have a read of this for fun: When mostly 'Made in America' is not good enough | Fox News
You ever heard the joke that goes "What do you call 10,000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean? Answer: A good start." That article is a whole lot about what's wrong here. Thanks for the read I'll watch what I say when I'm in California. lol
Old 10-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig1 View Post
Hey there, Berkeley County here right next to Lake Moultrie. Love the Oconee area and the State park named after it.
Ok you're near the coast! At least a lot closer than we are! LOL We try to go once a year to Hunting Island campground. We didn't go last year because of the Hurricane damage and didn't go this year as we sold our camper and ordered our Snoozy. Just picked it up in September and already have reservations in March. Of course we have other trips planned as well. Hope to see you some time!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:04 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Ok you're near the coast! At least a lot closer than we are! LOL We try to go once a year to Hunting Island campground. We didn't go last year because of the Hurricane damage and didn't go this year as we sold our camper and ordered our Snoozy. Just picked it up in September and already have reservations in March. Of course we have other trips planned as well. Hope to see you some time!
Hunting Island is another great South Carolina State Park. I love winter camping there. Lots of peace and quiet and long beaches. Sure thing about the get together. The world really is a small place.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:46 AM   #15

Name: Tryonbrewer
Trailer: Northern Lite
South Carolina
Greetings from the Landrum area

Hi Ray,

Good luck with the search. I've been all over the country with my Northern Lite truck camper and can't say enough good things about fiberglass campers.

Maybe those of us in SC should consider a rally since there seem to be a lot of us!!!
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
ray da back

I have had a life time of back trouble am 75 now I guess once again I will get in trouble but one back operation disc 30 years ago did fairly well and everything blew up.

Had a shot fixed it for a year then nothing off to the surgeon for a fix 8 discs fused 2 rods put in. Did great then everything blew up again then 2 more discs fused longer rods this time 75 took a long time to recover still not there yet.

my lifting days are over now and let me tell you I know everything you are feeling! Stay off pain killers as long as you can when I hurt real bad I wear ice packs they have special belts to wear now with the ice on your back.

this brings me some relief!!

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:19 AM   #17

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschager View Post
Hi Ray,

Good luck with the search. I've been all over the country with my Northern Lite truck camper and can't say enough good things about fiberglass campers.

Maybe those of us in SC should consider a rally since there seem to be a lot of us!!!
I'm certainly in for that. It'd have to be up state if we had it in the summer. It gets hot and humid down here. I really wanna head west find some dry warmth. I like it between 75dF and 85dF and low humidity.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:42 PM   #18

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
New Season

Reading this thread made me realize how small a world this is. I suffered a herniated disc in '98, spend about half my week in Berkeley Co SC on Lake Moultrie (Pinopolis), and have camped at Huntington Beach SP and Hunting Island SP. I too have looked at Oliver and I understand why that might be a great choice for you. We do love our 17' Casita Independence and at this time cannot justify the extra expense associating in trading.

Retirement has been great for me, if I stay busy. We manage 7-8 weeks on the road each year, principally in the summer to escape the Lowcountry heat.

Enjoy this new season and travel well. I am always on the hunt for Egg Rallies, especially ones close by SC. You may want to checkout Kings of the Wild Frontier schedule for David Crockett Birthplace State Park in Limestone TN Oct. 17-212018. Park reservations for campsites is open and filling fast. Last I saw there were 30 registered campers with only 24 full hookups remaining. This will be our first year but everything I read sounds that it will be a fun week.

Additionally, last spring while camping in Huntington Beach SP we met a number of Casita owners from across the eastern seaboard. Several of us have reserved the same week this year April 16-21. Some are staying longer.
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I have had a life time of back trouble am 75 now I guess once again I will get in trouble but one back operation disc 30 years ago did fairly well and everything blew up.

Had a shot fixed it for a year then nothing off to the surgeon for a fix 8 discs fused 2 rods put in. Did great then everything blew up again then 2 more discs fused longer rods this time 75 took a long time to recover still not there yet.

my lifting days are over now and let me tell you I know everything you are feeling! Stay off pain killers as long as you can when I hurt real bad I wear ice packs they have special belts to wear now with the ice on your back.

this brings me some relief!!

good luck

bob
Wow Bob, Honestly I can't imagine. I know with my little experience dealing with my back the pain was from disc pressure on the nerve. Never have felt that kind of pain. I've always considered myself to be kinda tough but this was something I couldn't deal with. Here's hoping for you a complete recovery and some relief. As far as pain meds, well, the residual nerve damage has got me seeking some relief just to remain mobile. I'm careful and honestly afraid of the stuff. I've heard what they can do to some peoples lives. Be well Bob, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #20

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrymcs View Post
Reading this thread made me realize how small a world this is. I suffered a herniated disc in '98, spend about half my week in Berkeley Co SC on Lake Moultrie (Pinopolis), and have camped at Huntington Beach SP and Hunting Island SP. I too have looked at Oliver and I understand why that might be a great choice for you. We do love our 17' Casita Independence and at this time cannot justify the extra expense associating in trading.

Retirement has been great for me, if I stay busy. We manage 7-8 weeks on the road each year, principally in the summer to escape the Lowcountry heat.
Jerry, you're right about the small world. Pinopolis is where I grew up and you must be talking about Somerset. The place was built when I was a kid. I spent a lot of summers there. Knew the caretaker Mr. Bean and his kids. I've never seen a Casita on the road. I considered them before deciding to go with the Scamp 5th wheel but chose Scamp for the 5th wheel. The Oliver just has all the bells and whistles I was gonna add to the Scamp with no work on my part. Options like 4-6V AGM batteries on a slide out tray would be beyond my abilities. I guess I just don't relish a challenge anymore.