Led replacement lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Led replacement lights

I have a 2015 Scamp 13 . What do I need to replace existing light bulbs ?
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Jim take one of the bulbs out and do a google search. Use the number on the bulb and led. Lots will come up Amazon is a good source.
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452022347.204574.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	91550

Try this. Cheap, great color temperature, works well for my scamp 16.

Got it from Aliexpress. Use web browser or iPhone app.

Bulb is bright, use less than 2watts. No heat. Really happy with the conversion.

AC
achang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

By the way, the price was for 6 bulbs including s/h.

AC
Old 01-05-2016, 03:11 PM   #5

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Can I switch all my outside marker lights to LED without issue on my 1991 Scamp?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #6

Outside bulb should be the last of your concerns since it's only on when in tow. I left it along. Only replace all interior bulb and porch light bulb.

AC
Old 01-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimp View Post
I have a 2015 Scamp 13 . What do I need to replace existing light bulbs ?
Here is a post I made a few months ago on the subject, perhaps it will help.

So I thought it might be of help to list the bulbs that I replaced with LED bulbs. As I mentioned before, I choose a “trusted source” with good quality products even though the cost might be higher than elsewhere. My source was superbrightleds.com, and in the below list I refer to this source as “SBL” and list their part number. Even if you don’t buy from them, they list the specs which might help you. In fact, the Scamp store is probably a fine source for the dome (921 type) and reading light bulbs. All this information is for a 2015 Scamp 16 Std layout 4, YMMV.

The dome lights are all 921 type bulbs with a wedge base. The stove-side dual bulb dome light fixture appears to use lower wattage bulbs than the single sink side dome. They were marked 12 watts and the sink-side bulb had no marking but did draw more current when I check it with a multi-meter. For the dual bulb dome light, bathroom, and sofa area I used SBL part WLED-WWHP9-DAC: Warm White. For the sink-side dome, I used the same bulb, only brighter, SBL part WLED-WWHP12-DAC: Warm White.

Reading lights use an 1141 bulb, 1156 is a replacement and the SBL part I choose was 67-W15: Natural White. It has LEDs facing forward instead of all around like a standard bulb. I preferred the warm light of the original bulb so I kept one in place and use it when on shore power. In fact all the "warm white" led bulbs are still less "warm" than the bulbs they replaced.

The “porch” light outside the front door, also uses an 1156 and I decided to go with a brighter amber colored bulb since amber light is reported to be less attractive to bugs. SBL part 1156-A27-T: Amber . This was the brightest bulb I bought, and with LEDs you pay for brightness... in this case about $20.

Tail/Brake/Turn is 2057 B14 dual filament, replaced with 1157 bulb (SBL part 1157-R3W-G: Red). Other running lights (marker and second set of tail lights) will be ungraded only after the original bulbs fail.

I choose to leave the front outside light with the original incandescent bulb since it will be turned on only for very short periods of time. I also used a amber LED bulb with little light (30 lumens) in the dome light on the side of the stove-side cabinet for “mood lighting.” It just enough to watch TV by.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #8

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by achang001 View Post
Outside bulb should be the last of your concerns since it's only on when in tow. I left it along. Only replace all interior bulb and porch light bulb.

AC
All of the inside bulbs have been replaced as well as the porch light. I have several markers out now and thought it might be prudent to replace with LEDs. I thought they'd be more durable and therefore longer lasting for outside.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I originally replaced all my interior and porch lights with some of the cheaper LEDs from Amazon. They worked great in all but one of the fixtures, which I assume had it's polarity crossed - incandescent work fine, the cheaper LEDs would not light. These cheaper lights, while labeled as warm, were actually quite blueish, not harshly so, but not as warm as the bulbs they were replacing, plus they were not as bright.

I decided to try a more expensive LED, so ordered one from M4 Products, their "Elite" series, which is their brighter series. I ordered their "warm white", 3200K bulb. It is also polarity neutral.

I must say, I am extremely pleased with this bulb. Very nice color, very similar to the incandescent, and even brighter than the bulbs which were originally in the Scamp. Draws .23 amps, plus it works fine in the apparently reversed polarity fixture. More expensive? You bet, but for the few bulbs we need to replace in a 13 foot Scamp, I'd say well worth the extra cost.

This is the bulb I bought, but they make a less bright series, as well as different color options to suit your needs. Highly recommended, although I have no experience on the bulb's longevity, I expect it to be as expected - LONG.

Elite Series Retrofit Bulb
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I went to local RV dealer for an education. He showed me several RV's and the type of lights they had to demo the actual light that each light type produced.
My wife cannot tolerate most if not all the lights that are not incandescent...
CFL bulbs bother her eyes and are impossible to read under...most LED lights are so un-natural that they would be out of the question.

I purchased one "test bulb" from the RV dealer that was the least objectionable.
My wife did not love it but agreed to the changeover.
The cost of these bulbs at the RV dealership was way too high. Amazon has the best prices on multi-packs...the changeover was simple...I saved the old incandescent bulbs.

Note: the only reason to consider such an expensive changeover is if you boondocks off battery power a lot and for more than a few days at a time.
If you do most of your camping at campgrounds with electric hook-ups save your money. Even at Amazon you will spend over $100 if you own a large Travel Trailer.

Summary: Beware of strange blue light...reading under LED lights can be a problem...IMHO they are no bargain unless you boondocks a lot !!!

Happy Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:45 AM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Got my new LED bulbs at a ham radio festival super cheap, just $00.50 each but had to buy them in lots of 10. They look great and replaced every bulb inside except the reading lights in the rear. May do that later. I know the guy who gets these and at the next ham radio festival I shall buy more!
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post

Note: the only reason to consider such an expensive changeover is if you boondocks off battery power a lot and for more than a few days at a time...
..IMHO they are no bargain unless you boondocks a lot !!!
True, they might not be a bargain however there are other advantages to LEDs beside the lower power draw:

1. They are cooler. The stock bulb over the sink in my Scamp was so hot it was hard to even hold my hand on the floor of the cabinet (inside) where it was mounted. That raises the temp where I store my bread.

2. They last longer. This is more of a benefit for fixtures where it is harder to replace the bulb but its still nice to put a LED in and pretty much forget about it for years.

3. They are more shock resistant. That why I replaced half of my tail lights with LEDs.. a bit of insurance against having my tail lights out.

And you don't have to boondock most of the time.. if the LEDs save your battery from going dead you might well be glad you spent the extra money the first time you do boondock. And if the LEDs help you to avoid discharging your house battery over 50%, then the LEDs will help the house battery last longer before it has to be replaced.

So, the (much) lower power draw is the main benefit, but not the only one.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #13

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
AC - Could you type the bulb number in a text post? My old eyes can't read your phone image so I'm not sure what you used for LED replacements. Also, do you have a TV in your trailer? If so, did the bulbs mess with your reception?
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:50 PM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
If you click on his picture it should open almost full screen and read fine. At least on my desktop PC.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 04:09 PM   #15

Name: Bat Dude
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Our 2014 (oct) 16 Scap uses # 912 bulbs inside and the bayonette style for the porch light.

So inside and outside are Not the same.

Just received 2 packs of 2 LEDs from Amazon type 912 White and they are super.

Very inexpensive. Fist pair of LEDs I bought at an auto supply place were quite dim and nearly 3x the cost by comparison.

We chose to leave the dimmer one in "potty room" so not to blind oneself at night when turned on.

Supplies enough light for aiming for us guys and finding the seat for the rest of the crew. OK Sorry TMI....

HTH

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #16

Herons- here is the text.

Best Sale 6X 1156 BA15S 68 SMD 3528 LED Turn Tail Warm White Car Light Bulb 1073 1141 1129

AC
Old 01-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #17

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
Hi Jim,
We have a 2014 scamp. We replaced all our bulbs with led. If you go to the scamp website and look at parts store, new items it shows led lights. It will give you the what base number you need. We took that info and ordered off of Amazon.
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #18

Name: Elly
Trailer: (Former) Casita 17 SD
Florida
Cheapest not always best. I'm gradually replacing cheapos that came with my new trailer. The cheap LEDs interfere with our hdtv signal. Quality bulbs do not.
Elly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:37 PM   #19

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I discovered that most LED Light Bulbs cause interference with broadcast TV signals.
Which I find strange as my TV is a LED HDTV ! How come it does not interfere with itself ? It does in fact have thousands of LEDs in the screen.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I discovered that most LED Light Bulbs cause interference with broadcast TV signals.
Which I find strange as my TV is a LED HDTV ! How come it does not interfere with itself ? It does in fact have thousands of LEDs in the screen.
Someone with EE background might actually explain it in some detail, but the interference comes from the circuitry, not from the LED light source itself, and those circuits can vary quite a lot.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights