long-time owner, new to forum - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #1

Name: george
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
long-time owner, new to forum

Hello all, I've lurked here for several years. My 'shell is a '76 Trillium 1300. I'm readying it for sale and have a few questions:
1. The ensolite has shrunken back in one corner, leaving a space of 2" between it and the f/g. Is this repairable? What's your recommendation?
2.The t-rail has also shrunken in a few seams and "wrinkled" up. How do I fix this?
3. The suspension seems slightly "sagged" on one side. Can this be repaired?
4. One window handle crank is damaged. Where can a replacement be found?

Looking forward to your responses.
Geo
gmcgilli66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi George, well... I'm sorry you joined us and will be leaving fairly soon... maybe you'd like to share the forum address with the buyer?

Sorry, I don't own a Trillium so I can't help... just wanted to say
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Name: george
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Smile Thanks Donna,

It appears I'll be around for a longer time ... I just completed purchase of a 19.5' Bigfoot!! So, Trillium to Bigfoot, It's all good!!!
gmcgilli66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
George,

We really do like pictures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgilli66 View Post
1. The ensolite has shrunken back in one corner, leaving a space of 2" between it and the f/g. Is this repairable? What's your recommendation?
This is repairable. but it is no small job. The ensolite will need new contact cement. I am assuming that it is seperating at the upper corner. That is a common problem spot. Carefully shave as close to the fibreglass as possible to expose a flap of ensolite. Clean off the old glue from both the ensolite and the fibreglass. Using your choice of contact cement, (I would pick a low VOC water based product) coat both the ensolite and the fibreglass. The way contact cement works is, once it is dry, you press it together. Get it right the first time, because once it sticks, that is it. You won't be able to pull it off. You will have to start shaving again.
Assuming you are fixing the upper coroner, the trick is to attach it at the corner where it meets the roof piece and the side piece. Then carefully attach the edges. This will leave a bubble of unattached ensolite. It is important that you either do this on a warm day, or use a blow dryer to heat the ensolite. Once it is warm and pliable, slowly work your way from the outside in. Stretching the ensolite as you go.
It may help if you pre-stretch it. Before you shave a flap, heat the ensolite and push it into corner. Then brace it with something, (pillow on a stick?) and let it cool. This way, when you are working it into the corner, it will be more evenly stretched and not get so tight by the time you reach the end.

Quote:
2.The t-rail has also shrunken in a few seams and "wrinkled" up. How do I fix this?
This time, you are in luck. this is a quick and easy fix. Take the T-rail off. It just snaps into a grove that is glued to the fibreglass. Then boil the T-rail. It will soften up and become pliable. Lay it flat till it cools. Then snap it back in. A rubber mallet helps.

Quote:
3. The suspension seems slightly "sagged" on one side. Can this be repaired?
Sort of. It is probably best to just leave it and sell it the way it is. Otherwise, you need a new axle. Not cheap.

Quote:
4. One window handle crank is damaged. Where can a replacement be found?
Also an easy fix. Any RV shop will have new ones for like $5 each. They might not match exactly, but there are likely only six of them, so just buy a complete set.

Hope that helps.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
It appears I'll be around for a longer time ... I just completed purchase of a 19.5' Bigfoot!! So, Trillium to Bigfoot, It's all good!!!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
I think you're Hooked!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote