Long time Trillium owner in BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Name: Murray
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
BC
Registry
Long time Trillium owner in BC

We bought our 13' around 1998 when our kids were very young so we could camp in the early spring and late fall - prior to this we tented. All we had for a tow vehicle was an Aerostar so the Trillium when we found it was an obvious choice, and back then, fairly cheap.

We used it several times a year in remote locations where the temperature usually ranged from +15C in the day to -10 or lower at night. We spent one week in -5 to -25 which was an experience having everything freeze to the walls. The gravity furnace and propane fridge (refrigeration was rarely required) allowed us to camp for a week in sub-zero conditions in relative comfort - it never got 'warm' but stayed above freezing inside. Cupboards were a different matter.

Anyway, long story short, in 2010 with a larger tow vehicle we got a 24' Nash cheap for a trip to Inuvik and the Trillium had been sitting ever since. This year we planned a trip to northern BC and with only two of us don't need a 24' trailer which greatly limits where you can stop so it was time to refresh and repair the Trillium.

Over the years I've done a bunch of upgrades, most of which I've forgotten until now like a fluorescent light (remember those), lights in the cupboards, a demand water pump, a car stereo and some speaker jacks on the outside. Early on, someone drove into the back of the trailer on a snowy highway so we had to do some major repair and at that point I added on to the back of the frame to carry an aluminum storage box with some LED tail lights (brand new technology at the time) and lengthened the tongue to balance things out, make it a little easier to back up and move the battery outside. I also painted the outside with Endura heavy equipment paint as part of repairing the damage to the shell. It was green so I stayed with a shade of green to keep the inside matching.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	137705

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	137706

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	137707

Both the fridge and furnace were acting up and after some TLC and repairs they are working like new. I cleaned up the frame and painted it, replaced the wheel bearings and marker lights before taking it on our 3600km trip in September and had no issues except the door coming open on the road. I picked up the handle and installed it as insurance against this happening again but it never seemed to unlatch again. It was nice to tow something that is literally not noticeable and it was interesting how many people waved or wanted to talk about the little trailer along the way.

I'll add more about the furnace and fridge repair if people are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0271.jpg  
Chilliwack Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
You have done a nice job on the trailer, maybe post a few photo's of the inside. I spend a fair amount of time traveling the north but have never tried those temps. This year I've spent 57 nights out with the trailer and will be out again Oct. Nov.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #3

Name: Kim
Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Interest in Furnace & Fridge

Hi,
I'd love to hear more about your furnace and fridge repairs. I just bought a 1973 Trillium 1300 and both furnace and fridge are original.
kimnmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium