Looking at buying a used casita 16 LD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Looking at buying a used casita 16 LD

After several years of thinking about casitas and scamps, I am going this weekend to see a 98 16 ft casita LD. The camper dealership is holding it for me with a refundable credit card deposit. I'm hoping everything is nice as the photos so I can drive away with it.
Any advice on inspecting for defects in this vintage is appreciated.
Thanks

From Savannah, GA
outdoorman
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Print out the buyers check list from the files
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #3

Name: Richard
Massachusetts
Hi EJ,

Good luck on the purchase! We have a 1995 16' FD and it is a really nice trailer.

Some things I would check:
1. Make sure all appliances work. Not sure what your trailer has, but within reason make sure everything seems to at least light/turn on etc. The fridge (if present) will not be easily testable.

2. Have a propane safety test done.

3. Have the electric brakes checked.

I am sure others will chime in with more.

Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Contact the dealer asap and tell them to turn the refrigerator on with LP at least 6 hours before you are due to get there. Although your Casita is fairly new, refrigerators can be vey expensive to fix/replace. Ya gotta see everything actually work before you take it.

BTW: What are you going to tow it home with? Is it set up for towing?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #5

Name: outdoorman
Georgia
I called the dealership today and was told the trailer was checked over by their technicians but I won't take assurance on their word so how is a propane safety test done and how are the electric brakes tested (if they are present).
I am driving my 96 Ford Bronco V8 351 with tow package. Its a 2 1/2 hr interstate drive back home. The casita does not have a sway bar so will I need one?
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
EJ, first you need to have a controller in the TV to really test the brakes out as far as I know. With your Bronco as your TV you sure won't be doing the "tail wagging the dog" towing a 16 footer or any of the Scamp or Casita models. You won't need brakes to get it home, just be aware that you need to be looking farther ahead than normal for anything that may cause you to have to brake. When I bought my Casita 17 SD I towed it from the west coast over the mountains and down into the desert where I live. My TV is an '02 Ranger with a 4.0 V6 and I had no problems even though I didn't have a contoller installed yet. Yup, I knew it was behind me in braking but I knew I had to be ahead of it. Contoller is in now...perfect. As far as your LP question, I would think that any reputable RV sales company would be fine saying the unit has been checked out. Anyway, congrats on your new egg.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A propane test is usually done by putting a pressure gauge on-line after the regulator and applying pressure. Then the tank is turned off and the residual pressure is observed. There is a specification for how soon it can leak down to "0" pressure. If it leaks down to fast it means that there is a leak. I have seen them hold pressure for days on end so I have no idea what the minimum leak down time might be.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita