Looking for a cheap egg - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
good point, Greg. I was busy with a pregnant wife and then newborn this past winter, but if the miracle doesn't happen this summer, I will try to look in the winter. While the idea of driving a few hundred miles and then towing a trailer home in the winter is less appealing, it is probably worth it.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
I'd personally be a bit concerned about buying sight unseen on Craig's list. Every time I advertise something for sale, I get a number of very obvious scammers.... I'd imagine it works both ways.
Ebay and pay pay have a few more safety measures, though not perfect. Caution there, too.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #23

Colorado
Going to check out a local 13' 1973 Scamp tonight, he's asking $2000 and said "Needs some minor fiberglass work and some adjustments to the door" in the ad but also said (via email) that it is ready to go (ie, whatever work it needs isn't so major as to keep it from being towed/used).

I realize that y'all can't predict what the problems might be, but any insight on how easy any fiberglass issues and door alignment might be to fix?

Also, is the ball hitch a standard size? I have a hitch receiver but not the ball hitch, what size do I need?

I have the checklist from this site to help me look at things. For $2k, if the thing isn't trashed, I'm likely to buy it. If I do, you'll be seeing more posts from me in maintenance forums.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The door thing is probably the hinges, the ball is probably 1 7/8 " , could be 2" but should be 1 7/8".
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #25

Colorado
I assume hinges is an easy fix?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #26

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Yeah, buy new ones from Scamp.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:47 PM   #27

Colorado
excellent! Thanks!

Now I just hope that "Needs some minor fiberglass work" doesn't mean gaping holes.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryNPaul View Post
I'd personally be a bit concerned about buying sight unseen on Craig's list. Every time I advertise something for sale, I get a number of very obvious scammers.... I'd imagine it works both ways.
Ebay and pay pay have a few more safety measures, though not perfect. Caution there, too.
Sherry
I purchased my trailer sight unseen off of Craigs list & no photos! I am in Vancouver BC and he was in Couer D'Alene Idaho. No short trip. I called him as soon as he listed it - nice fellow who could tell me the whole history of the trailer etc etc and he did not own a digital camera. I told him I was leaving in the AM but in the meantime I would get a certified cheque in his name in the amount he was asking. In exchange he promised not to sell it to anyone else until I got there 2 days later. Left the next morning. The trailer was as promised (actually a bit better) and I only had to wait while he went to his bank and confirmed the cheque I gave him was good - I gave his bank manager the direct number to my bank at home. Happy ending for both of us. I did call him a couple of times while I was traveling down to make sure he had not sold it on me and to confirm I really was coming for it. He told me he had lots of intreasted parties and some told him not to bother to wait for me and just sell it them. Had it not been in the condition that he said it was in then I would have just walked away. No big deal as it was a nice drive down (although I hit a snow storm and a major wind storm coming home) and I used the trip to take a nephew out for Easter dinner who was attending the Univ. of Idaho at the time.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #29

Colorado
Well, I bought it! It has some issues, mostly a terribly misaligned door and some fiberglass cracking around the door (maybe related, maybe not). But it towed nicely; still need to get the lights hooked up -- don't have the right wiring -- but I barely felt the thing while towing/braking.

It was somewhat beat up (it's a 1973 after all) and I have never owned a camper or towed anything, and am not terribly handy, so I'll be posting in the other forums a lot! I need help! But it didn't seem to leak (other than around the door) -- we've had an unusual amount of rain the last 2 days so if it leaked I think I would have been able to tell -- and it seemed functional otherwise. He said the heater and stove worked but we couldn't test them (no propane). He took $1800 (and he gave me a hitch ball/extender and put it on my truck, so I threw him $40 more). I figured for $1800 I couldn't go wrong.

I'm going out of town for the weekend but will post pics of my new baby soon. Thanks for the advice, and the advice that I will receive in the future!
Old 05-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #30

Colorado
Oh, one question I have right now: storage. My driveway is a little sloped, is it ok to store it on a slope? And what should I get to store it, what should I do? Right now it's sitting on the street in front of my house with the front thing down (what is that called?), the rear levellers/supports down, and some 2x4's on the front and back of each tire. I'd prefer to have it in the driveway but my street is quiet with lots of parking, so if the slope is a concern that can't be addressed safely, I can live with the street.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #31

Registry
How little is a little sloped? I have a sloped parking spot for mine as well and I use a number of blocks under the wheels on one of the sides to try and level it out a bit more. I only do that as I like to start up my fridge before a trip to give it time to cool down so the more level it is the better. You can also use blocks under the tongue as well.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #32

Colorado
I don't really know how to measure the slope. Sloped enough that when I take my car out of gear, it rolls down, but flat enough that flat bottomed things can be set on the ground without risk of falling over. How's that for a description!
Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM   #33

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Congratulations, Dan! Sounds like a good deal and you'll enjoy it!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I would invest in some chocks, these are at Harbor freight and fit the small tires better than the ones you get at a RV supply store.

Bill K
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #35

Colorado
Thanks Bill, those look great, just what I was looking for.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #36

Colorado
My new folly. Oh, lord, what have I gotten myself into?!?!?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It was somewhat beat up (it's a 1973 after all) and I have never owned a camper or towed anything, and am not terribly handy, so I'll be posting in the other forums a lot! I need help!
Are you sure this is a 1973???????
By the windows etc I find that hard to think possible - my guess would sometime in the 90's due to window style.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #38

Colorado
Carol, I have no idea. That is what I was told.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
It was somewhat beat up (it's a 1973 after all) and I have never owned a camper or towed anything, and am not terribly handy, so I'll be posting in the other forums a lot! I need help!
Are you sure this is a 1973???????
By the windows etc I find that hard to think possible - my guess would sometime in the 90's due to window style.
You should call Scamp with your VIN number and have them confirm what year it was built - you should know for sure for insurance etc.
Old 05-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #40

Colorado
WHere do I find the VIN # on the trailer? The title I have has a vin but very little info otherwise, I'd like to confirm on the trailer.

Tags
eggcamper