Looking for a cheap egg - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Looking for a cheap egg

Just signed up for this forum because I'm trying to buy a cheap Casita I found on craigslist, but I suspect he'll sell to someone more local (I've offered to buy sight unseen -- other than his posted pics -- but haven't heard back). But I love the idea of the fiberglass campers, and so I'll keep looking if that falls through.

In any case, just had a baby (3 months old!) and we're looking for a small camper so we can get out! We have 2 dogs (golden retrievers) so a 13' might be too small, but there really only needs to be space on the floor for them to sleep (we don't intend to do much inside the camper except sleep, unless it's raining). Don't need a bathroom.

So this is mostly an introduction post, but 3 questions:

1) Would a 13' be too small for us (2 adults, baby, 2 70 lb dogs)?
2) What types of things should I be looking for in a very used camper? We don't have much money -- babies are expensive! -- so we're looking at very used ones, and I need to know what signs to look for that say "don't buy!"
3) I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier, I have a hitch receiver installed but I don't think I have any special tow package or ball hitch, what do I need to tow one of these suckers?

I'm a complete newb to all this camper stuff so feel free to talk/explain to me like I am a 10 year old child.
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Search here Search All Craig's - Ever wanted to search ALL craigslist sites at once?
I think a 13' would work fine.
Lots of good information on this site. As for Looking for a cheap egg, you have to be quick, these fiberglass trailers sell in a matter of Hours, when they are low priced.
Name:   41gL2h9DCVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  17.7 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #3

Colorado
Thanks Kevin!

I use a similar "search all craigs" site, not that one, but the same idea. And yeah, I jumped on the cheap one I found (and may have been the first person to find it, I don't know), but haven't heard from him. The ad is still up, so I'm still hoping.

But still looking, too! My problem is that I know so little -- and I've been browsing here as much as my job allows trying to learn -- that I'm not always sure what is a good deal and wouldn't know what to look for if I was checking it out in person.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You can make whatever you find work. See if you can go to a rally near you to see what they look like. If you are looking for cheap, though, you might need some skills for fixing it up.

Craigslist might be your best bet. A lot of people sell their small trailers to move up in size. We did.

Welcome.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #5

Registry
How about this one: Small fiberglass camper travel trailer ?

It is a drive to get it, but sometimes you have to do that. We drove from IL to southern Arkansas to get our VT.

CindyL
Old 05-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
17' casita trailer
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Colorado
The green one scares me. :

And I have seen the one in Sedalia, but right now can't even afford that. By next summer, I might be able to, but if we're going camping in a trailer this summer it's going to have to be cheaper. I suppose I could go the pop-up route and then upgrade later.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #8

Registry
There is a cheaper one by 500 dollars in MI if you can afford that.

CindyL
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Your concern for size really amounts to where everyone will sleep. The bed in a 13' sleeps two normal sized adults fine but if you're really tall (or wide), it could be a bit uncomfortable. In most trailers, the front or side dinette converts into a single bed, too. With a small baby, my preference would be for one parent and the baby to use the regular bed and the other adult to use the single bed. The dogs can sleep on the floor pretty nicely.

When scouting out a trailer, I would look for damaged windows that leak a lot, an axle that is really dragging low to the ground, or missing elements in the trailer - furnace, range, closet doors, etc. All of these things can be fixed and/or replaced but they do take extra time and money. A damaged frame or hitch/tongue could cause towing problems, so I would shy away from something that looks like it has been in an accident. Just my 2 cents worth!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

Registry
Personally, I would not take a baby in a popup, but then the tenting folks next to us in Canada last summer were doing fine with their baby, so I guess I am just too careful.

CindyL
Old 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #11

Colorado
why no baby in a pop-up? what's the risk/problem?
Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Registry
My first camper was a popup.They are great when you're done setting up but more work than most people realise.You have to popup to load prior to leaving home,popup again when you get there and then popup again when you get back home to unload.Just something you might want to consider.Anyway,good luck on whichever direction you decide to go.
Brian Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool check list

Welcome,

Here is the link to the check list on this site:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/buy-sell.html

From another thread, comes the admonition to make sure the title is squeaky clean!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lem-45840.html

Otherwise, good luck in your hunt!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
We also had a baby in a popup. With 2 king size beds, a dinette bed (double), full galley and toilet/shower combo it was great. Took us all the way through potti training. We had a portable crib she slept in set up in the isle till she was big enough to sleep in a bed. Our bunk end fabric was permanently attatched so no way a child (or anybody for that matter) could roll out through the canvas. Maybe this is what CindyL was concerned about.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #15

Registry
No, I was just making assumptions that I ought not make, that they were cold and damp. I retract my statement in favor of those who have had a popup.

CindyL
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #16

Colorado
Thanks for the advice, everyone! And Cindy, I definitely plan on a heater/furnace, no matter what I get, because Colorado high country gets cold at night! But "damp", well, that's not a problem we have often.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #17

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I see where you were coming from. Our popup had a Suburban furnace that would chase you out b/c it got so warm, LOL. We usually had to open the small window on the door to keep from roasting even on the lowest setting. We usually had our bunk end fans on too in the dead of winter with the furance running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
No, I was just making assumptions that I ought not make, that they were cold and damp. I retract my statement in favor of those who have had a popup.

CindyL
Old 05-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #18

Registry
There are a couple more that were posted this AM, although VA is a long ways away. Might be, if you bought it, you could find someone who might exchange a chance to camp in it and fly back east.

CindyL
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #19

Colorado
Yeah, I have my eyes open, but with a 3 month old baby, I need one that is reasonably close (not to mention the costs increase the further the drive). I guess it will take a miracle to buy one this summer, but hopefully next summer I will have a little more money and a little more freedom to travel further.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You need to try to buy one in the winter.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper