Looking to buy 1st rv - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Looking to buy 1st rv

Hi,

I am new to this site, and looking to to buy a travel trailer for my family of 4: My hubby and I and our two young kids.

Fiberglass is our first choice, I just don't know if we are going to want to put up the money for what we need/want.

We like the Scamps and Trilliums a lot. We are thinking 13'-16'. No potty/bathroom, and we need bunk bed for the kiddos.

Our reason for moving from tent camping to a trailer is for easier set up and take down as we travel long distances. As well as a feeling of order and predictablility when it come to cooking meals. We don't like anything too fancy. We like to still 'feel' like we are camping and spend most of our time of the rv.

We have a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX to for pulling.

I grew up trailer and tent camping. My parents first had a tent trailer, then a 60s Aristocrat Lo Liner(probably aprx 16'). I'm looking for a similar experience, but lighter weight so our van cam pull the trailer.

Any suggestions or guesses on roughly how much money we are going to need to spend to get a used trailer with the set up I have mentioned?
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The Fiberglass RV's for sale site will give you a pretty good idea as to the cost of various trailers based on age, size and location.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Tina, The site Carol linked you to is great for looking for your perfect trailer. But first thing first, do you know your vehicles tow cap? There should be several options that will meet your camping needs. Especially since a bathroom model isn't needed. Hope you find exactly what you want in a trailer soon.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Tina, The site Carol linked you to is great for looking for your perfect trailer. But first thing first, do you know your vehicles tow cap? There should be several options that will meet your camping needs. Especially since a bathroom model isn't needed. Hope you find exactly what you want in a trailer soon.
Thanks for the link!

Our vans towing capacity is 3,000lbs. That is taking in to consideration our family size plus up to two more riding in the van.

I feel like I come across so many trailers with bathrooms. I live in Arizona and it looks like we are probably going to have to be willing to travel to get what we are looking for. However I have only been actively searching for less than a week .
Old 04-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

So you do have lot's of options to consider. Yepper's you may have to travel, but many times it's worth every mile.

You say, 2 more riding along? Are you saying to need to sleep 6?

I think bunk options were found in many older models, thou some current manufactures do have bunk options in trailer's being sold currently.

Burro?
Scamp,
Casita,
Trilliums,

Ummmm, help me out here people with bunks!

Good Luck! Tina.........
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
So you do have lot's of options to consider. Yepper's you may have to travel, but many times it's worth every mile.

You say, 2 more riding along? Are you saying to need to sleep 6?

I think bunk options were found in many older models, thou some current manufactures do have bunk options in trailer's being sold currently.

Burro?
Scamp,
Casita,
Trilliums,

Ummmm, help me out here people with bunks!

Good Luck! Tina.........
I am only looking to sleep 4.

I just want to be cautious in not pushing to close to our weight limit. I am planning that if the kids want to bring friends along, it will not be a problem. And if/when they do they can set up their own tent. But that is probably looking a couple of years down the road. Long story short, we want to sleep 4. Our kiddos are currently about ages 2 and 5.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina in AZ View Post
Thanks for the link!
I live in Arizona and it looks like we are probably going to have to be willing to travel to get what we are looking for.

Yep I have traveled for a few eggs, we just make a trip out of it.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Tina,
The Boler or the Trillium with front bunks would be perfect for your family. Also, I met a family of 4 at a campground last summer and they had just pulled their Boler 13 all the way across Canada with a Honda Odyssey and the guy was raving about what a great tow vehicle it is.
Good luck on your search!!! Hope you find just what you're looking for.
Phil
Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As a mother who took her child camping alone (both tent and trailer), let me tell you... you'd never regret having a bathroom inside the trailer (or a porta potty). I do believe my CHILD needed to use the loo more often at night, than I DID... now at my age... that's reversed
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Ya know what I've found, now that we have a porta potti (dont know why we didnt in the tent before) the kids no longer have to go in the night! What's up with that?????
Old 04-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Tina,
The Boler or the Trillium with front bunks would be perfect for your family. Also, I met a family of 4 at a campground last summer and they had just pulled their Boler 13 all the way across Canada with a Honda Odyssey and the guy was raving about what a great tow vehicle it is.
Good luck on your search!!! Hope you find just what you're looking for.
Phil
Thanks for the input. I from what I see online, I'm really liking the Trilliums with the front bunk layout. I am a bit confused. Are there two different Trillium companies, one in Canada and one in the US? Or are they the same company?

That is great to hear about the Honda Odyssey! We love our van and want to be able to tow a little trailer easily.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
I am a bit confused. Are there two different Trillium companies, one in Canada and one in the US? Or are they the same company?
Yes, absolutely yes different companies. Trillium Trailers in Alberta Canada makes the Outback Trillium. Trillium RV in the US makes "Trillium" trailers.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
A porta potti is not a bad idea. However, both my hubby and I are grossed out about having a toilet or porta potti to have to deal with. I'm sure it's not near as bad as I imagine it to be.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm sure it's not near as bad as I imagine it to be.
It's not, truly. You've changed dirty diapers right? Well, at least with porta potties or black water tanks... you get to wear gloves!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It's not, truly. You've changed dirty diapers right? Well, at least with porta potties or black water tanks... you get to wear gloves!
We use cloth diapers! LOL, I never thought of it that way.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yes, absolutely yes different companies. Trillium Trailers in Alberta Canada makes the Outback Trillium. Trillium RV in the US makes "Trillium" trailers.
Thank you for the distinction on those. There is so much to learn!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #17

AND, you'd add chemicals (digester)... while it doesn't smell like Chanel No. 5... it's not as disgusting as a baby's blow out
Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

Quote:
A porta potti is not a bad idea. However, both my hubby and I are grossed out about having a toilet or porta potti to have to deal with. I'm sure it's not near as bad as I imagine it to be.

Personally for me, I would much rather deal with my own than ever sit down on a public toilet that some gross person left their stuff on......... Whatever that stuff is!

I guess having grown up with rv's with bathrooms I learned early on that my bathroom in my rv is much cleaner and more comfortable experience than sitting down on a unknown toilet seat....

Having owned several business that provided bathrooms to our customer's, I can tell you no matter how clean you think a bathroom is, they are not........ I cleaned some pretty gross stuff up on a daily basis!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Personally for me, I would much rather deal with my own than ever sit down on a public toilet that some gross person left their stuff on......... Whatever that stuff is!

I guess having grown up with rv's with bathrooms I learned early on that my bathroom in my rv is much cleaner and more comfortable experience than sitting down on a unknown toilet seat....

Having owned several business that provided bathrooms to our customer's, I can tell you no matter how clean you think a bathroom is, they are not........ I cleaned some pretty gross stuff up on a daily basis!
True. I grew up with the opposite experience. We had trailers without potti's and that is normal for me. My hubby grew up tent camping and backpacking. So for him, I guess 'normal' is a hole you dig in the ground!