Loren and Debbie - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren and Debbie View Post
Thanks for for all the comments. We have decided to keep the Honda and slow down. We will be reducing the amount of stuff that we will be traveling with. I am sure my mpg will increase.
Sounds good!

Once you get used to taking less stuff and still want to improve on the fuel saving check out the Jetta diesel. 30+ mpg.... towing an egg could just about make anyone happy.

RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ultra gauge

A link to our Ultra Gauge follows. We've had ours for a couple of years and mount it right in front of the RPM gauge and behind the steering wheel so basically I can see it at a glance. It plugs right into the OBD connector and gets it's power from it.

Somewhere in Preparing a !991 Scamp in Modifications I think there's a picture of the installation. If you can't find it let me know.

It appears they have changed a little since we bought ours. I recall the price was in the $60 ball park. We leave ours set so we can see engine efficiency and Instantaneous MPG.

UltraGauge Support

As to the VW diesel as a tow vehicle, it's certainly a realistic option.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
As to the VW diesel as a tow vehicle, it's certainly a realistic option.
Agree Norn. I just wish the VW's had a reliability record like the yours and my vehicle. I did talk to Mr. T about using the Jetta to tow our 23'. We got the thumbs up. Politicians are saying that high octane fuel (which we use) could go to $7.00 a gallon this summer in Canada. Not...
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #24

Name: Loren
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RBI
California
Thanks for the welcome, I purchased my bigfoot in Utah after looking thru the classifieds. I tow it with a Dodge Ram Rumblebee with a Hemi. We live in Northern California, Redding and do quite a bit of camping up here and along the Oregon coast. I have a problem with the rear window after a bump off a bridge, when a truck passed me and took all the air off the trailer.
Ljklaassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:24 AM   #25

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Loren and Debbie to the FGRV family.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #26

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Loren,

We returned at the end of October from a 6700 mile journey through the west. I tow with a 2005 Ford ranger 4.0 V-6. My mileage varied from 11.5 to 16 MPH. Overall I got slightly more than 15. I found it is best with my truck to use overdrive at 70 and over and lock it out at less. You will notice some improvement the more you tow as one learns the best speeds etc. I plan on getting and Ultra gauge for my next trip. Being able to see instantaneous MPH is bound to help.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #27

North Carolina
Registry
Forgot to mention. Our trailer is a 2014 Lil Snoozy. The loaded weight is around 2800-3000.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #28

North Carolina
Registry
Sorry Floyd, I fail to see how 70 or 75 on a good smooth road can be any worse than 60 or 65. There are some roads where it is dangerous to drive slower when all the other traffic is faster. I agree with you on the fuel savings.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Sorry Floyd, I fail to see how 70 or 75 on a good smooth road can be any worse than 60 or 65. There are some roads where it is dangerous to drive slower when all the other traffic is faster. I agree with you on the fuel savings.
Well, for one thing, unless you changed from the standard ST trailer tires, they are speed rated at a maximum of 65MPH.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
Take that trip around the block in the trailer!
I don't really care much about how fast you drive (most RV accidents are single car anyway) and it is true that you would have to drive in the High 70s to "keep up" with traffic on the interstate.
Minimum speeds are set for safety (usually 45MPH)...
15mph above the posted minimum is certainly not too slow for safety on any road in the U.S.

When driving in faster traffic, learn to stay in the right lane and watch your mirrors a little more closely. Traffic always responds better to a slow trailer than to an unexpectedly slow car in the lane ahead.
Enjoy yourself and drive safely, but try to find a more convincing excuse to drive too fast for your rig.

I don't believe that any car or light truck can be driven at the same maximum safe speed with a trailer as without, and common sense dictates that moderate speeds are easier on equipment.

Lastly, my comment was meant to help you protect your trailer, not to chastise you. I have owned more than two dozen fiberglass trailers and fixed a lot more. I have seen how they respond to the treatment they receive.
My Scamp13D is in good shape with well over 60,000 miles towed.
Maybe my advice is only worth what you paid.... Consider it, then do what you think is best. I wouldn't ask anything more!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #31

North Carolina
Registry
I do appreciate your advise. I realize that our trailers don't have much in the way of suspension travel. I also agree that the speed limits are designed for safety. Unfortunately they are generally ignored, especially around the larger cities. I am not convinced that 60 is better when everyone else is doing 80 and darting around the rig. Although I will not drive at 70 all the time or hang the left lane . I am convinced it is safer in these circumstances. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV