Loren and Debbie - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-18-2013, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Loren and Debbie
Trailer: In the market
Arkansas
Loren and Debbie

Loren and Debbie here. We have been following the forum for a couple years now. Everyone is nice and very passionate about their fiberglass trailer. I think this is why we bookmarked the forum. All of you folks, helped us to find something to be excited about. We have research a lot of FG trailers and traveled to see some in person. One of those places we went was Van Buren, Ar. We met a very nice couple , who took the time to show us their FG. We were hooked. Two weeks later we ordered a Lil Snoozy. On October 29, 2012 we took delivery of a Lil Snoozy #146. We have spent every night in it until Friday Feb. 15 , 2013, when we arrived at at our son's house in Springdale, Ar. The weather that night was 27 degrees and we decided to sleep in our son's spare bedroom. We have spent the last two and half months at Estes RV Park in Rockport, Tx. Wow, so many nice people out there. I think, Mike Magee spotted our Lil Snoozy on our trip back to Springdale. One correction, it was towed by a gray Honda Ridgeline. Unless there was two Lil Snoozy on the same road. I believe the interest in FG trailers will multiply like rabbits when everyone discovers how much better they are than stick built trailer. We are both retired and ready to get on the road again.
Loren and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Congratulations Loren and debie on your new snoozy and catching fiberglass fever . I also tow with a ridgline great tv. Sounds like your getting your money's worth camping that long wish I could
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Loren and Debbie, welcome to FiberglasRV So very glad you decided to join us, although lurkers are welcome too Congratulations on the Lil' Snoozy purchase and all the memories you'll make are priceless.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Congrats on your new trailer, and welcome to the fold.

27°F? That is nice camping weather in my books.
But heck, when you have an offer of a warm bedroom.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Glad you got it ,
Old 02-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, debbie and welcome, loren! you bought the trailer that i am extremely interested in viewing!! we plan on stopping in to the factory in NC on our next trip south.

and doesn't it feel good to come out of lurker-land and join the family?!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Woohoo, I'm happy for you! And it probably was you! I was so busy admiring the Snoozy, the truck didn't make a strong impression and I was not certain afterward of it's particulars.

What gas mileage numbers are you seeing with that rig? Have you kept track at all?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #8

Arkansas
Thanks for the welcome.
On my first trip from South Carolina to Arkansas, I averaged 11.5 mpg with out the tonneau cover. On my trip to Rockport, Tx I averaged 12.7 mpg and 12.5 back to Arkansas with a tonneau cover. I packed way too much stuff. I drive 2 to 3 miles under the speed limit and in the tow/haul mode. I have been thinking about a 1/2 ton full size pickup.

Loren Queen
Arkansas
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Loren, you'll figure out what works best for you within whatever STATE speed limits and road you travel. I tow in a state that has a MAXIMUM speed of 65 MPH on the interstates and the basic rule applies on secondary road and have found my tug/tow combination gets the best fuel mileage at 57 MPH.

Safe travels!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Good info, thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren and Debbie View Post
I have been thinking about a 1/2 ton full size pickup.
Loren Queen
Arkansas
Can you tell us why you are thinking of getting a 1/2 ton full size pickup?

thnxs
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #12

Arkansas
When we purchased the Snoozy, Alan at the Lil Snoozy factory, said to expect 5 to 7 miles reduction in mpg with a six cylinder and 4 to 5 mpg with an eight cylinder. I am not sure if it is worth the saving. I really like the F150 eccoboast (23mpg hwy). I am not sure if it is worth it. I would love to hear what others are getting towing their FG trailer.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
When we purchased the Snoozy, Alan at the Lil Snoozy factory, said to expect 5 to 7 miles reduction in mpg with a six cylinder and 4 to 5 mpg with an eight cylinder. I am not sure if it is worth the saving. I really like the F150 eccoboast (23mpg hwy). I am not sure if it is worth it. I would love to hear what others are getting towing their FG trailer.
I'd calculate how much you expect to save in gas vs how much it costs to get into another vehicle including depreciation, financing costs, taxes, insurance cost difference, etc. The whole idea behind FG trailers is that you don't need a big truck to tow them.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Loren and Debbie, I'm sure you are excited. We picked our Lil Snoozy up 10 months ago and we are still excited.
MPG! We use a 2 wheel drive, manual trans., 4 liter/straight six Jeep Cherokee. We generally get 25 mpg on the open road while NOT towing. That drops to 15.8 to 17.2 while towing no matter the type of road and at any speed under 62 mph.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
The Ridge is a very respectable vehicle, probably more reliable than the Ford pick up. It may take many years to get back any savings in fuel useage.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #16

Oklahoma
It seems like the posts I've read previously from Snoozy owners have all indicated about 15 mpg if not a tad better. But I think they mostly drove around 60 mph, and wind resistance penalty rises substantially at higher speeds.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 AM   #17

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
I tow with a half ton chevy 4.3 V6 at no more than 60 mph and still get only 15-17 mpg. Not towing I get 25mpg. A smaller V6 has very little low end torque for towing. The ford ecoboost V6 gets up to 25mpg when not towing. According to trailer life magazine who reviewed the F150 ecoboost last year it only gets 15 mpg towing but it does have enough low end torque to do the job well. So sure it gets good mileage when not towing but otherwise there are no mileage gains to be had. Toss in Financing, Insurance, repairs and maintenance and depreciation. It will be a long time before any savings accumulate.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Small Thought.

We use an engine monitor to tell us what gear is best to tow in, where the engine is most efficient and as it turns out where more torque is available.

On our tow vehicle we find that 4th gear at around 3000 rpm produces better mpgs than 5th. I don't know if this applies to your Ford, but it does to our Honda.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 AM   #19

Arkansas
Thanks for for all the comments. We have decided to keep the Honda and slow down. We will be reducing the amount of stuff that we will be traveling with. I am sure my mpg will increase.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #20

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Small Thought.

We use an engine monitor to tell us what gear is best to tow in, where the engine is most efficient and as it turns out where more torque is available.

On our tow vehicle we find that 4th gear at around 3000 rpm produces better mpgs than 5th. I don't know if this applies to your Ford, but it does to our Honda.
Norm and Ginny,

I am curious about your engine monitor. Is it a separate piece of equipment and does it plug into the diagnostic tool socket?

Can you tell us a bit more about it?

Clayton