m and m - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
And thanks for the headsup. I'll have a look.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #22

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Hi M&M and welcome!!! As you can see we have something in common
Thank you for the history lesson on our Van Companions. I have tried to find out the story on this uncommon trailer after we purchased ours in the Fall of 2010. I had no luck finding any info.
I love the reno you did. What a beauty she is!!! (OK, yes I am drooling)
We are not planning a renovation; but hope you don't mind if we may ask you some questions from time to time regarding "structure" issues. Sure is nice to know someone who has gutted out the exact same trailer that we own. Will be watching your future posts with great interest!
Mike & Ellen
Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:36 AM   #23

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
mikell

yours is in a lot better shape than mine when i brought it home
mine has a roof rack and ladder that had came loose and leaked everywhere in the roof and on the cabinets, 24 screw holes that let a lot of water in
does yours have the hot water in the road side front corner also, didn't see a pic of that side

great looking trailer

mike
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #24

Michigan
Registry
Hi Mike, We had the roof rack & ladder also. Hubby took the roof rack off (for prevention of future leak problems) and we kept the ladder. When we brought ours home we dealt w/a leaking belly band and some leaking windows. Not sure if you saw my original post from 4/30/12 regarding our story and a few more pics that on our registry has.
We do not have a hot water heater, hence no shower for us.
I will be showing hubby (Mike) your posts & pics tonight. I'm sure he will come up w/some quesitons for you. He is the "handy-man" of our duo, I like to make things "clean & cute".
Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #25

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
mikell

looked at that 4-30 post
the road side front sidewall corner indention is for the hot water heater
a 6 gal suburban fits right in it
mine was already there but it could be added easily to yours, gas right under it on frame rail, water going by to the toilet.
my window wood was also damaged, the 5 windows on mine were put in dry, then just SILICONE around the frame. the Masonite ceiling was all bowed and sagging from holding water, that cloth wrap held water real good
i did put my rack back on but i put green wood under the holes while ceiling was out to run screws into, should do better than just the fiberglass they went into before and put dycor roof sealer under each standoff before a screw went in, the sealer would hold rack on with out screws once it sets up so hopefully it won't leak again

hope to get mine finished for the maiden trip this summer to get the bugs worked out and then a longer trip this fall

mike
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
....... my window wood was also damaged, the 5 windows on mine were put in dry, then just SILICONE around the frame.
mike

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #27

Michigan
Registry
Hi Mike,
Thx for your info on the hot water heater for our trailer. We were just looking at the pix of your rig and hubby figured that was where your hot water heater was when your post came thru.
Keep us posted on your work in progress. We really enjoy watching this transformation. If by chance your longer trip in the fall takes you to the beautiful Michigan area; we are having a 2nd annual Glassic Egg Scramble at Algonac State Park the weekend after Labor Day. Would love to see your completed "labor of love" in person!!
Ellen