m and m - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #1

Name: mike
Trailer: 1988 columbus coach van companion liberty
Missouri
Registry
m and m

hi have been lurking for over a year but have almost finished my trailer on the inside ready to refinish the outside and be ready for this season
take a look 1988 columbus coach van companion 17' liberty

thanks for the great forum
m and m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hi Mike. That's a slick looking unit. I'm curious about the original interior. The registry pix combined with the Amerigo ancestry suggest that this trailer is a molded shell studded out and the frames bays insulated. Do you know how the skin was supported/reinforced originally. Did it have a combination of bulkheads and furnishings acting as beams or a "sticky" sandwich similar to current interior frame? Inquiring minds want to know.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mike, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

WOW, you have done a TON of work. Thanks for adding the pictures and history in your trailer profile.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Your trailer looks awesome, great work ... and welcome to the forum
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #5

Missouri
Registry
the shell had a stick frame, not as heavily built but it was there that all the cabinets hung on with fiberglass bat insulation. they where attached to 1/2 plywood fiberglassed into the shell about 12" up from the floor and another at the top of the sidewall the full perimeter and crossing the roof. the roof plywood was flat and had give up and let the roof sag down. the top side plywood is what i rested the mini trusses on to push the roof back up, held it there with props until after the foam was blown in. now the roof crowns up over 2 inches and is stong enough to support the ac with no problem.

the shell is being prepped now to be painted, going a light champagne with a real light silver accents

thanks for the comments

great to be here
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
You did a fine job of fixing it up, Mike.

Looks cozy with all that spray foam.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
pics

OK, what am I doing wrong? Why can't I see M and M's photos? mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
can't see a thing either !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by h.mike View Post
Mike, click on the "Registry: My Trailer Profile" link at the bottom of their user profile. Their photos will all be displayed there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Beautiful !
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #11

Delaware
Hope you'll post a bit more on the interior spec and amenities included in the rebuild. If you had a target weight for the redone version, did you meet it? How does dry weight now compare to the weight of the original?

jack
Old 01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Click on "Registry" under his name on this post and you will see the pictures of his Beautiful Redo! Great Job! And Welcome.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Super job. Make me one too?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #14

Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Thank you D. Davis. I don't feel too goofy thinking about all the great things I've missed not knowing how to bring up those photos. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #15

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
What a great job!
I have a trailer just like yours just older I am guessing. I am doing a total rebuild and love the work you have done, Where did you put the storage tank for your shower? I am going to put my bath in the front corner I see you have fiberglass sides in the bath too. I was/am going to use a plastic shower base instead of stainless. I also will take anything you want to share in how you designed the lay out.
Thanks
Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #16

Missouri
Registry
sam i have looked at your build earlier, great start
i was there last year
i flattened the walls the way you are thinking of doing to put on my wall board and it worked ok
the shower and sink tank is between the frame rails just ahead of the axle outside, my frame is higher off the ground, with an entry door step and axle springs under the frame not beside it like yours
the toilet tank is above floor. it is part of the shower pan, the step up under the toilet (what is called a short toilet for this application) like casita, holds 13 gal of waste, the dump valve is under the trailer, was all welded together before installing in the trailer, but in and out dozens of times fitting and tacking up
there is nothing on this trailer that is square so everything is built as you go in place. get lots of cardboard for templates, saves a lot of wall board and cabinet material

the roof reinforcement is the most necessary thing i think the body needs, that flat roof is a swimming pool waiting to leak

good luck, don't give up, there is a lot of work ahead, i've been 1 1/2 year to get this far and have at least another 6 months before i get to use it
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #17

Missouri
Registry
jack

i have lots of pics but not real sure how to put them on here or where
the only weight i took was empty before i started at 2200lb axle. now ready to use, 40 gal fresh water, 6 gal hot water, 40lb propane, and batteries came in at 2800 axle and 385 tongue, the tongue was heavier than i wanted but the weight dist will take care of that. i changed the original 205 - 15 6 ply tires to 225 - 15 10 ply tires so that should make the axle safe

mike
Old 01-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #18

Name: Sam
Trailer: Owner 16' Amerigo
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by m and m View Post
sam i have looked at your build earlier, great start
i was there last year
i flattened the walls the way you are thinking of doing to put on my wall board and it worked ok
the shower and sink tank is between the frame rails just ahead of the axle outside, my frame is higher off the ground, with an entry door step and axle springs under the frame not beside it like yours
the toilet tank is above floor. it is part of the shower pan, the step up under the toilet (what is called a short toilet for this application) like casita, holds 13 gal of waste, the dump valve is under the trailer, was all welded together before installing in the trailer, but in and out dozens of times fitting and tacking up
there is nothing on this trailer that is square so everything is built as you go in place. get lots of cardboard for templates, saves a lot of wall board and cabinet material

the roof reinforcement is the most necessary thing i think the body needs, that flat roof is a swimming pool waiting to leak

good luck, don't give up, there is a lot of work ahead, i've been 1 1/2 year to get this far and have at least another 6 months before i get to use it
Thanks for the reply!
I know I have a ways to go.... frame is ready to paint when the temp come up for a day or too. Did you make your shower walls or did you go buy panels? I can raise my trailer off the ground around 6" if I put the axle on the bottom of the springs, maybe enough room for the gray water tank.
I have a ton of cardboard saved up for this! LOL
Also my ceiling has a inside liner that I have to get insulation between, and it's not sag yet..
If you have any more suggestion or idea's let me know! I am open for all the suggestions I can get!
Thanks
Sam
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #19

Delaware
Mike, the fotos in your member registry came thru fine. To add workaday progress photos in the forums, open the Post Reply box (not the Quick Reply) and scroll below the posting box to Additional Options. Cllick on Manage Attachments, "browse" and upload from your photo files. There is no need to use a photo hosting site as photos are archived on this site as a permanent reference. There is a limit on foto attachments per post which escapes me at the moment but I believe at least 8. Photos will show in "preview" after you close Manage Attachments. Everyone has their preferred method of dealing with explanatory text. Perhaps the easiest is one big lump with numerical references to the photo sequence. Insertion of photos in text requires a bit more planning (a script) to execute. There are many here who can offer you a more sophisticated explanation if you need it. I believe there may also be a foto-posting tutorial under FAQ.

jack
Old 01-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #20

Missouri
Registry
more pics

jack

i have put some more pics (20 - 2 different threads) over in the mods and alterations forum

thanks for the help