Maybe I should buy a small travel trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 07:44 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Promaster Self Build Class B
Michigan
Maybe I should buy a small travel trailer?

Hello! I'm currently a fulltime van dweller, but I'm strongly considering "upgrading" to a small travel trailer. I hope to gather some useful information here so I can choose a trailer that will best suit my needs. Big thanks to whomever it is that runs and maintains this forum! Johnny.
JohnnyRambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Welcome, Johnny. What part of Michigan are you from? I grew up near Standish.

If you travel alone, a 13' Scamp or Casite might suit you. Or if you want a full time bed, full time place to sit, and wet bath all in one package, a 16'-17' should do the trick. Your van probably will do fine towing either one. Let us all know if we can help.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Molded FG trailers are an acquired taste. And they are much more expensive than their stick build cousins.

FWIW, I met a couple that had been living full time in a Trillium 1300. No bathroom, no AC, small bed. They had been doing it for over 2years and 45,000 miles. They loved it. So solo, with the right attitude a 13 foot can work: Scamp, Casita, Trillium, Boler,Burro, U Haul to name just a few of the brands.

If you are used to portapotty they can be added to any I listed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 PM   #4

Michigan
Hi Mike! I'm originally from the far Western suburbs of Detroit. The van I have now is fully converted to an RV, so if I do buy a trailer I will be selling it and purchasing another. I'll definitely be checking out the Scamps and Casitas. I also plan on looking at the 17.5 Bigfoot units as well. Even though I spend the bulk of my Winter in Florida, I typically don't leave Michigan until after Christmas. So the heavier insulation might be a bonus.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #5

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Johnny, welcome to the forum. It is hard to know from your post just what kind of info you need? You seem to be familiar with the different brands of trailers and the different models offered.
If you need further help please be specific. There are many very knowledgeable folks here who are willing to help, once we know what you need.

Happy Camping!

Mark
Old 06-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #6

Name: Alex
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Registry
Tell us what you want...

Hi Johnny,
I recently got a new Bigfoot 17.5. We were looking at the Class B market for a long time, trying to find room for a family of three and the dog and cat. We gave up after about six months and thought we found a solution with a truck camper. They seem to have just a bit more room (even with no slides) and basically the same maneuverability as the Class B. It turns out that the geometry of matching truck to camper is a bit more complicated nowadays with all the different pickup bed sizes. So we kinda stumbled into the Bigfoot at the truck camper dealer and love the quality level. But more importantly, the size and layout match our purposes.

I think the most important thing is to write down what you want to accomplish and accommodate with your camper. If you shared that you would probably get much more insightful and specific responses.
SnowballCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
The beauty of a trailer vs. a van is that that you can set up camp, disconnect, and use your towing vehicle (TV) for shopping, touring around the area, etc.
Your TV is your daily driver at home.
A 13' Scamp's table/bed can be modified so you can just flip the bedding back and have a small dinette. But for "luxury" a 16 ft with side dinette and bathroom is the way to go. You Pays Your Money and Takes Your Choice.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:18 AM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Molded FG trailers are an acquired taste. And they are much more expensive than their stick build cousins.

FWIW, I met a couple that had been living full time in a Trillium 1300. No bathroom, no AC, small bed. They had been doing it for over 2years and 45,000 miles. They loved it. So solo, with the right attitude a 13 foot can work: Scamp, Casita, Trillium, Boler,Burro, U Haul to name just a few of the brands.

If you are used to portapotty they can be added to any I listed.
Hi Bill, I'd like to keep it small, maybe a 13ft, but would go up to about 17. Under 40ft (including the van) would be ideal so I can double park it in most lots. That said, the lack of a bathroom would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I have a Nature's Head composting toilet in the van build, and after using that I plan on having the same in any trailer I might buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
The beauty of a trailer vs. a van is that that you can set up camp, disconnect, and use your towing vehicle (TV) for shopping, touring around the area, etc.
Your TV is your daily driver at home.
A 13' Scamp's table/bed can be modified so you can just flip the bedding back and have a small dinette. But for "luxury" a 16 ft with side dinette and bathroom is the way to go. You Pays Your Money and Takes Your Choice.
Hi Wayne, The option to disconnect and leave the trailer behind and still have a maneuverable van is definitely the biggest selling point to the change. I'm one of those people that always wants to see what's over the next hill, or around the next bend in the river. Being lightly tied down to a site for short periods might benefit me a bit (And save some gas money).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK Evenson View Post
Johnny, welcome to the forum. It is hard to know from your post just what kind of info you need? You seem to be familiar with the different brands of trailers and the different models offered.
If you need further help please be specific. There are many very knowledgeable folks here who are willing to help, once we know what you need.

Happy Camping!

Mark
Hi Mark, No real particular questions at the moment, but I'm sure I will have some soon. Just wanted to introduce myself a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Hi Johnny,
I recently got a new Bigfoot 17.5. We were looking at the Class B market for a long time, trying to find room for a family of three and the dog and cat. We gave up after about six months and thought we found a solution with a truck camper. They seem to have just a bit more room (even with no slides) and basically the same maneuverability as the Class B. It turns out that the geometry of matching truck to camper is a bit more complicated nowadays with all the different pickup bed sizes. So we kinda stumbled into the Bigfoot at the truck camper dealer and love the quality level. But more importantly, the size and layout match our purposes.

I think the most important thing is to write down what you want to accomplish and accommodate with your camper. If you shared that you would probably get much more insightful and specific responses.
The 17.5 Bigfoot is definitely near the top my list right now. Specifically the Gaucho model as I don't need the full time bed. (I'm a bit of an oddball and have slept fulltime in hammock for close to 5 years ).

The main reasons I'm considering switching to van & trailer are the possibilities of a shower, AC and basically a set place to go back to every day. Finding a place to park the van is grating on me a bit. I know my time in South Florida will be quite a bit more expensive having to pay for sites, but I think it may be a fair trade off. Plus the added room of the empty van mean I'll be able to carry many things that I normally have to mostly leave behind in storage. My kayak, scuba gear, pier cart, large fishing rods. I won't have to pass by all those awesome spots and think "Only if I had my _____!".
Old 06-03-2019, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Not all Bigfoots are four season, particularly the older ones. If you want AC and a shower I’d be looking at either a Scamp 16 or a Casita Spirit Deluxe (16 or 17).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #10

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Adding a trailer TO your van would double your life space! I'd say go for it and best to you on finding the right trailer!

Be sure your van can tow what you buy--before you buy it! (Check manufacturer's recommended tongue and total tow weights.) (Check the real life weight of a loaded trailer of your choice--you can see "Trailer Weights in the Real World) here on FGRV if you'll go to the Search at the top of one of these forum pages and type it into the lower blank. Or maybe someone will post a link for you.

BEST

"K"
Old 06-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #11

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Adding a trailer TO your van would double your life space! I'd say go for it and best to you on finding the right trailer!

Be sure your van can tow what you buy--before you buy it! (Check manufacturer's recommended tongue and total tow weights.) (Check the real life weight of a loaded trailer of your choice--you can see "Trailer Weights in the Real World) here on FGRV if you'll go to the Search at the top of one of these forum pages and type it into the lower blank. Or maybe someone will post a link for you.

BEST

"K"
I'll definitely keep the weight in mind. Especially if I were to go with something like the insulated 17.5 Bigfoot which is a bit heavier. The van is rated to tow 5100, and the Bigfoot supposedly comes in around 3400 dry. That leaves about 1500lbs, but the majority of my gear would be in the van anyhow. No matter what I'd be well under the van's 11.5K GCWR rating in total.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #12

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Sounds like a Bigfoot (as well as other trailers) would suit your needs really well. If you go with an older Bigfoot they're even lighter. Mine is right around 3,000 with somewhat full tanks. They have showers, and I don't see why any less of them would have AC than any other fiberglass trailers, which of course can also be added to any trailer after you buy it. If you're really looking for a 17.5', though, the 2500 series will be four season. My trailer is older and is 17'.

Depending on how you plan to use the trailer in the winter, "true four season" isn't really necessary.

I live in mine 6 months of the year. It works great for me and I've considered going to a van for a tow vehicle, so I can leave the trailer behind sometimes and use the van as my camper.

Good luck!
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Johnny Rambles: sounds real good, you've thought this through well!

BEST,
"K"
Old 06-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Maybe I should buy a small travel trailer?

Vans are great if you’re on the move a lot. Trailers are better if you stay several days or more at each stop. Vans are better if you “stealth” camp in populated areas. Trailers usually cannot be left unhitched in public and street parking and require oversized parking when hitched. Trailers are better for developed campgrounds and dispersed camping on undeveloped public land (where permitted). It’s easier to get service work done on a regular tow vehicle, and you don’t have to give up your home when your vehicle is in the shop. Similarly, you’ll still have wheels when your camper needs working on.

The Bigfoot 17.5 models are nice for full-time use thanks to four-season insulation, dual pane windows, and enclosed tanks. Downside is weight, so you’ll likely need a truck to tow it. That diminishes the value of giving up the van as your everyday driver.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23 AM   #15

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Johnny, Welcome.

I don't know where in Michigan you are, but if you would like to check out a 2019 Scamp 16, layout #4, I'm in the thumb. You are welcome to come and take a leisurely look at it to judge size, construction, etc. Let me know if you might be interested.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:35 AM   #16

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRambles View Post
I have a Nature's Head composting toilet in the van build, and after using that I plan on having the same in any trailer I might buy.

I have a C-head, works GREAT in a Scamp

I know my time in South Florida will be quite a bit more expensive having to pay for sites, but I think it may be a fair trade off.

Check out the South Florida Water District Campgrounds. I stayed at Hickory Hammock this past winter. You just register on their website, then can stay for a total of 30 days per year at their campsites free of charge. They provide a site, potable water is available, pit toilets, cold outdoor shower. No electric or sewer. Can't beat the price. :-)

My comments are in blue.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Vans are great if you’re on the move a lot. Trailers are better if you stay several days or more at each stop. Vans are better if you “stealth” camp in populated areas. Trailers usually cannot be left unhitched in public and street parking and require oversized parking when hitched. Trailers are better for developed campgrounds and dispersed camping on undeveloped public land (where permitted). It’s easier to get service work done on a regular tow vehicle, and you don’t have to give up your home when your vehicle is in the shop. Similarly, you’ll still have wheels when your camper needs working on.

The Bigfoot 17.5 models are nice for full-time use thanks to four-season insulation, dual pane windows, and enclosed tanks. Downside is weight, so you’ll likely need a truck to tow it. That diminishes the value of giving up the van as your everyday driver.
The Ram Promaster is rated to handle that much weight and more. The V6 will probably feel sluggish on grades and in the mountains with the less-aero, heavier Bigfoot but it should be a safe tow.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRambles View Post
... That said, the lack of a bathroom would definitely be a deal breaker for me. I have a Nature's Head composting toilet in the van build, and after using that I plan on having the same in any trailer I might buy....
After using a bucket with seat ring and sawdust for last summer's camping in my cargo trailer, I don't see the allure of those composting toilets. But if you like that sort of thing, more power to ya. Last month I ordered a new porta potti. Aaahhhhhhh..... much better. Now if only it had a bidet attachment.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #19

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
After using a bucket with seat ring and sawdust for last summer's camping in my cargo trailer, I don't see the allure of those composting toilets. But if you like that sort of thing, more power to ya. Last month I ordered a new porta potti. Aaahhhhhhh..... much better. Now if only it had a bidet attachment.
A proper composting toilet with urine diverter is nothing like using a bucket with sawdust. I've used both, urine diversion is necessary to avoid the smells and grossness. Plus, using a bucket with sawdust does not allow nearly as long between emptying the waste.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #20

Michigan
Quote:
The Ram Promaster is rated to handle that much weight and more. The V6 will probably feel sluggish on grades and in the mountains with the less-aero, heavier Bigfoot but it should be a safe tow.
I've been towing a 7x12 enclosed trailer with mine for a few years and you're right. It's no speed demon, but it gets the job done! The one nice thing is because the van is so large, there's little additional air drag when towing a trailer. When my empty 1300lb aluminum enclosed is behind it's hardly felt at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Johnny, Welcome.

I don't know where in Michigan you are, but if you would like to check out a 2019 Scamp 16, layout #4, I'm in the thumb. You are welcome to come and take a leisurely look at it to judge size, construction, etc. Let me know if you might be interested.
Thank you very much for the offer. I do get up that way on occasion and might just take you up on it.

Quote:
I've done the bucket thing in the past, but it's just a nice luxury to have a full sized toilet. As Lyle mentioned, the big advantage is the infrequency of disposal, and the lack of any objectionable odor (As long as they are properly maintained). I use mine daily and the solids bin only needs to be emptied about once per month, the liquids container every 2-3 days depending on use (I also have a portable bottle I use).

The main reason I would want one in any trailer I end up having is so that I can avoid the hassles of using a sewer hose and the black tank. It should help keep the weight down, and increase the grey water capacity if I combine them.