Me, too! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Me, too!

Well Rita D., I just bought a Burro as well! Mine is an '83 that seems to have spent most of its life residing in Michigan. I was fortunate in that the most recent owner had done almost all of the major structural repairs (frame off resto with complete new floor! ) leaving me only the front window, wiring, gas lines and interior decorating to do. I dragged it back from the Chicago area home to Central VA behind my Astro mini-van and other than the expected abominable gas mileage, I could hardly tell it was back there. It will be going with me this week out to my sporting club where it will serve as the command center for my rifle match this weekend.

To all, I'm planning on replacing my front (sliding) window with a one piece Lexan unit. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion and wish to comment on it (pro or con?? )

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV Charlie, we're glad you found us!

I really, really wish the front window in my Scamp opened. If your window doesn't leak, be glad you have the option of open or closed. IMHO you may want to camp in it for a season (or longer) before you jerk it out and replace with a solid window. Just opening some windows for cross ventilation may be better than turning on the A/C.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Donna,

Scamp does make 13s that have opening front windows. Why not the 13? I'd be happy to have a window just like the rear window. 'll have to compare the sizes in the morning.

Norm

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Charlie
Welcome to the forum. Good to have another member from Va. I'm with everyone else, The extra sliding window would be nice. I have a Scamp 16 that has a front sliding window. It would leak a little water when traveling in the rain even with the gravel shield in place. I placed a 1/2" piece of closed cell foam between the window and gravel shield and that took care of almost all of the water issue.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

Norm, Scamp USED to make the 13-16' trailers that had the opening front windows. Not any longer. Too many leak issues and you can't even buy a front window from them. Trust me, I've tried. It's the compound curve. They've even quit putting in the front window in the 5th wheels over the nose. It's now an option.... and they do everything they can to discourage it. That's why you see 5th wheels that have solid noses.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Norm, Scamp USED to make the 13-16' trailers that had the opening front windows. Not any longer. Too many leak issues and you can't even buy a front window from them. Trust me, I've tried. It's the compound curve. They've even quit putting in the front window in the 5th wheels over the nose. It's now an option.... and they do everything they can to discourage it. That's why you see 5th wheels that have solid noses.
Donna;
AFAIK they have quit offering the front window even as an option on the 5er,the mold has now been changed and no longer has the flat spot for the window.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
The '83 I have has three good windows that open, have screens, and seem to hold out rain like they should. The front window, on the other hand, doesn't completely close, lacks the screen, and leaks like a sieve. The window frame itself is pretty marginal, so I'm not sure it would even be possible to repair it and achieve normal, original function. I figure the hot tip is to make the best of the situation by placing a solid replacement window in the front track and sealing the whole thing up... I understand some folks have done just that, and would really like to hear from some of them with pros and cons.

Donna, I hear you on your situation with the Scamp, but I figure the 3 open windows and the Fan-tastic I am planning on installing ASAP will give me as much air as I want/need. Oh yeah, the window on the door also has a great window that opens and still has its own screen too, just in case I want some more air flow!

Thanks to all for the welcome and for input!
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Charlie, we're waiting for pictures of your rollin' home
Old 06-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
To all, I'm planning on replacing my front (sliding) window with a one piece Lexan unit. Does anyone have any experience with this conversion and wish to comment on it (pro or con?? )
Once you get the old window frame off, it should go like a regular install.
Have you seen these?
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...deo-34521.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...deo-34530.html
Old 06-20-2011, 11:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking Remember Green Frog?

The originator of this thread has a Burro. Burros have those strange window bosses so that the windows can be flat. I would think that this would immensly simplify the installation of anything.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote