Meerkats - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Elaine,

It's irresponsible for a trailer salesman to make a statement like that about tow vehicle ratings. Incidentally, the Ascape would probably impose a great deal of drag on the tow vehicle at higher towing speeds due to its shape.

A possible option for you to consider might be the little Weiscraft Little Joe:

Little Joe Lightweight Trailer - Compact Camper Trailer for 2 by Weiscraft Trailers

Trailers are marketed with a "dry" weight. Adding options will generally result in a higher dry weight than the generic dry weight listed for a trailer model, although this might not apply or be significant in the case of the Meerkat.

Everything you add from water and propane to socks and sheets will be additional to the dry weight number, and it's quite normal for this cargo to amount to 500 lbs or more.

It would be best to have the dealer run your VIN or to review your owner's manual and vehicle nameplate data to determine the towing limitations.

If you do get a higher-rated tow vehicle, it looks like the new North American Eriba is finally coming to market. This has involved a process of having an established European design tweaked for approval under applicable standards, so it's taken a while.

https://www.gohymer.com/erwin-hymer-...er-line-vegas/

There are a few available here in New Jersey, and probably also at other dealers following the Vegas show:

https://www.rvusa.com/rvs-for-sale/t...2500&type_id=5

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #22

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
The Ascape dealer said car manufacturers will give it a low tow rate to be super cautious knowing that it would probably tow more weight without a problem. This covers their *** if any problems do occur. However he may have just wanted to sell me an ascape a little over my Honda recommended pull.
It's a claim made often by unethical or misinformed salesmen, but it's still incorrect and very bad advice. When it comes to matching a tow to a trailer, it's not opinion, it's math. The numbers for GVWR, GCWR, towing capacity, payload capacity and maximum tongue weight either add up, or they don't.

It's been repeated here many times, but the best advice I ever got about choosing a trailer and tow combo was this - figure out what trailer matches your camping style and will meet your needs, then figure out what you're going to tow it with. If that means having to upgrade your tow, so be it.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #23

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Lil Bigfoot and Escape 15a
California
After many years camping with a 87' Westy, we swiched to using a 05' Honda CRV. We bought a nice Coleman tent trailer as it would accomidate our children. It beat sleeping on the ground but was a pain to set up and offered no shelter from noise. After the kids went off to college, I started thinking about an inclosed trailer but was mindful of the 1500# rating for the CRV. I started thinking reardrop trailers looked interesting. Living in SoCal, I found out about LittleGuy trailers in San Diego (maker of the Meerkat and seller of different teardrops). Took a trip down to take a look first hand. I found that they also had a few T@G teardrop trailers they rent.(sadly no Meerkats). We rented the T@G for two weeks a made a loop up through Utah, CO, NM, and AZ. Wonderful trip, and learned, I'm glad we didn't buy a T@G. The bed was too short for 6'2" me. Also didn't like getting in and out in the rain, so ruled out buying a teardrop. I next came across the fiberglassrv forum, and started reading about different makes of FG trailers. While looking at ads, I came across a 97' LitBigfoot. It's like a 13' Bolar or other makes. We bought that and camped in that for three seasons. No bathroom. Has a small dinette up front. Towed nice with the 05' CRV. My parents were down sizing and so, sold us their 07' CRV. It was top of line and low mileage, so seemed like a good upgrade. I added a hitch and tranny cooler. Even though the 05' and 07' CRV have the same engines/transmissions, the 07' didn't like pulling the BF. It would constantly be searching for the right gear, downshifting into a lower gear, and pulling high rpm. Indicated mpg dropped to 13-14! A big disappointment. As we were planning a CO trip, I started researching finding a different tow vehicle. Ended up getting a second hand 07' Lexus RX400h AWD from a retiring MD for $7800. It has the optional tow package and is rated for 3500#. It's much nicer than a CRV. Tows like a dream. At speeds under 25, will run electric, so in campground is whisper quiet. The drive train is like a Prius but with a 3.3 v-6, hooked to a CVT, and with an extra motor in the back for AWD. The window sticker says it should get 27-32 but real life gets 21-24 avg, and 17-18 towing. So, while we liked a lot of things about the Bigfoot, I was still having a problem sleeping. The rounded corners of the trailer body made the bed too small for whoever was sleeping against the back wall. So, I started looking at other trailer designs, especially those with more squared off corners, so the bed would be an honest full sized. I wanted to keep the length no more than 16' and the weight as light as possible. I found a Trillium 4500 locally but it would have been a real fixer. And then I found an 2011 Escape 15a, near by and at a good price. The build quality is night and day better. Tinted, dual glazed windows with pleated shades on guide strings. Thicker fiberglass, with the seem having been glassed too. Well insulated. The bed is a honest full sized. The privious owner put in a memeory foam mattress. It is very, quiet. Sets up quickly. Tows nicely behind the Lexus. I did change out the 3 way Dometic for a TF 130 12 volt fridge. This gained us another cu ft in the same space. Escape only builds trailers to order and has a nice video on their web site walking through how they make their trailers. If I was ordering new, with what I know know, I would make some changes in how it's equipped but they are a well made trailer compared to other fiberglass makes. We did save a boat load buying secondhand.
I wish we had found a fiberglass trailer meet to attend before having bought anything but I think we now have a nice tow vehicle and trailer combo. One last thing. The previous owner had the trailer painted blue with quality aircraft paint. It's not our first choice of color but you wouldn't believe how people stare and take pictures of it. Anytime we are getting fuel, we get asked about the trailer. Escape would be smart to offer colors other than white!
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #24

Name: Lorraine
Trailer: 2008 13' Trillium Outback
British Columbia
Hello, I have seen them in real life in San Diego. Super cute. A big bed and a tiny minimal.kitchen. Good to keep you off the ground and out of the rain. I have a 2098 Trillium. Weighs 1400 lbs. I pull it with a 4 cylender subaru forester. Look at Prolite trailers made in Quebec. Smallest is just over 550 pounds. The one I like sleeps 4 and weighs 1150.

[QUOTE=Chef;710436]Hello all! Newbie here.... and I'm loving all the great info and stories.
Here's my story and I'm looking for some help.
I was so excited to learn about casitas, scamps and Ascapes. Almost exactly what I'm looking for. But after some research I found them to be to much weight for my Honda CRV. My max pull is 1,500 lbs. On the Ascape I could take out the shower that I dont want and switch the AC for a fan. This would lighten it up but I wasn't thrilled about the small windows that didn't open fully.
So then I found out about Meerkats. I spoke at length with a salesperson 2 seperate times. I was going to get a pamphlet in the snail mail, and an email with more information AND a person I could contact that would have one near my northern AZ home. I was told owners love to show them off. So it's been 3 weeks and haven't gotten anything. I went to the website and used the "contact us" field to try that way but still haven't heard anything. When I see them advertised on ebay, craigslist or rv trader it sends me right back to the San Diego factory site. Which hasn't worked out.
Has anyone heard of these and anyone out there have one for sale?
I'm apprehensive to make the drive to San Diego. If they can't respond to me as a future customer what does that say about the company and what kind of service would I get if I did decide to get one. Know what I mean?
ANY info/ suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated. I like how the meerkats have what I need AND what I dont need.[/QUOTE
55goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=55goddess;711549] I have a 2098 Trillium. Weighs 1400 lbs. I pull it with a 4 cylender subaru forester.

Would you please post some pictures of your Trillium? I'd like to see the changes and upgrades made for 80 years in the future .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I bet it's an older Scamp and that's the manufacturers dry weight which is always low. I have a 2006 prefire Scamp 13 that weights a touch over 1700lbs loaded for camping. I don't think you'll find a Scamp much lower in weight.
I agree with Byron.... My '83 Scamp is bare bones.. No water tank, no battery, ice box is now a cupboard, one 5 gal propane tank, no brakes. Scales out on a certified scale at 1600# loaded. I don't think I could get it any lighter.

I am very skeptical of anyone saying theirs weighs 800#. Yes, I know advertisements say "less than a 1,000#". My thinking on that is because some states require brakes on any trailer over 1,000#..... By having a "factory weight" of less brakes are not required. "Factory weights" are always less than true weights...

Just my two cents....
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Vixen
Honda's definition of towing capacity

Be sure to read what your CR-V owner's manual says about towing capacity. If it is like the Pilot, in addition to the dry weight of the trailer, Honda includes all accessories (including the hitch), cargo (luggage, camping equipment, fluids, propane, etc.) in excess of 15 pounds combined whether in the trailer or tow vehicle and all passenger and driver weight in excess of 300 pounds combined. In other words, you have to add those up and subtract them from the towing capacity to get the maximum dry weight of the trailer that you can safely tow.
jimch530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Or you could shop around for a 6 cylinder car that has more towing capacity but similar MPG ratings.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote