Might buy amerigo fg16 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

Name: Alan
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
Might buy amerigo fg16

I’m going to look at an amerigo fg16, and would love to get a little advice. I plan to tow it with my Toyota Highlander 270hp rated for 3,500 tow capacity

How and where should I look for water damage in an amerigo? Is there wood in the walls? How extensive Is replacing a rotted floor? Any advice would be appreciated. This is a fixer upper, but my hope is to just remake the cabinets and beds, not get into insulation and stuff like that. I’m pretty handy, but I’d love to get a better idea of what I’m signing up for.

Also, they look pretty low. I don’t want to do a lot offroading, but we may try to take it to the ski area parking lot a few times. Maybe clearance will be an issue if it snows too much while we’re on the slopes.

Alan
Roby4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #2

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
trailer road clearance

While I've not seen an Amerigo, I have had issues with road clearance with my 2002 Scamp with standard axel height. I've successfully removed a mixing valve under the trailer in a pothole. I have to slow way down for speed bumps, some RR tracks and to avoid potholes. Years earlier I got high-centered and really stuck in heavy snow while driving a toyota celica... that's why I always carry a shovel in winter.

Parking in ski lots is usually very crowded and driving is difficult as lots are generally plowed before/after operating hours. It's also interesting as skiers speed to ski areas, roads crowded leaving areas. I've been skiing for 40 years..No, would not take a travel trailer to a ski area parking lot.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 01:42 AM   #3

Washington
M Scott, thanks for the input. I’m definitely hesitant to be driving on bad roads ... maybe just for spring skiing.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
There is a lot of wood in an Amerigo, more than most. I would expect to find a lot of rot in a project condition unit, so inspect carefully. Walls, ceiling, floor and cabinets.

There are threads in the Amerigo section that you might find sobering.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:29 PM   #5

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: Amerigo F-16 1978?
New Hampshire
Registry
Amerigo Owner fully gutted

Hello Roby,
Mine came out of the woods of Maine. Flat roof had sagged dramatically from years of ice and snow build up, the more it sagged the more it held. It could not be flattened without removing the inner ceiling shell. So watch for pooling on the roof. As for the interior mine was a complete gutting. Lots of water damage from water at the louvered vent and windows draining inside. Behind the rear wheel wells hold water if there is no drainage holes. The front of the cabin is usually the worst as there are a couple of pockets in the floor that again will hold water. The rear upper flooring is a 4x6 approximate sheet the bottom front flooring at the door entry way is made up from two pieces of plywood with a seam about two feet from the front. The pocket in the center is designed for a strip of plywood to reinforce the seam. This is where the water pools and does not drain. So the front of the flooring is usually the worst shape. It also uses pink fiberglass insulation which seems to get moved around or totally removed by varmints.
Please check out the gallery photos under Amerigo for some pictures of what is on the inside and underside.
JonnyX151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:44 PM   #6

Washington
Thanks so much for that info. I just want to make sure I know what to look for. It’s a long drive, I think I’ll ask for a photo of the roof first. Pretty sure I don’t want to take the ceiling apart.

It seems like a pretty cool trailer, although a scamp would also be a good option for us. There seems to be a shortage right now, so they’re all so expensive. maybe I should just be patient if this one doesn’t work out.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #7

Name: Danny
Trailer: Amerigo
Texas
The design of the roof isintegral to the structure. Do not take apart if you dont know what you are doing. (read some threads on mistakes, things I wish I knew before...)
They are a nice camper. Mine (72) is getting new suspension/wheels in a few days/weeks. Looking forward to having working brakes on it and not scraping as it crosses the painted lines in the road
HippoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #8

Texas
Wow, didnt realize how quickly a few weeks could turn into a few years! (just graduated college, now time/money to spend on my Amerigo)
This is today 10/19/2021. Got the frame off and ready for blasting. There is minor surface corrosion, but the welds are all in good shape. I may add reinforcements as well.
Hope to have on the road by Winter and "presentable" by Summer. (note I didnt include any years, lol)
Going to use an Eco Flow Delta Pro w/solar for electricity.
Click image for larger version

Name:	63155.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	143835
HippoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 03:11 PM   #9

Texas
New suspension, new wheels, new tires, sanded and primed/painted
Click image for larger version