My "new" 2003 scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
My "new" 2003 scamp

I just became proud owner of a 2003 scamp.
First I wanted a pop-up, than an Apache Mesa hard-sided pop-up and finally settled on a scamp. Buying one was kind of an adventure- I found a very reasonable priced scamp - but it was in NJ and did not have a title- being in PA the DMV told me there is nearly no way to get it registered so I had to let it go.

I ended up looking at a total of 4 scamps and all had at least one soft spot in the wood of the floor. So when I found this one I wasn't to concerned about what seemed to be a 4"x4" soft spot under the water tank. After removing the tank however it turned out that the whole area under the tank is rotten- I'm just doing a git rot treatment and plan to cover it up with epoxy paste and a thin sheet of plywood - hope it will fix it. The water came from the window which had clogged drains and shrunken rubber seals- no water came in since I cleaned it and duct-taped the gaps (see the tape in the picture).

This one does not have any decals- never saw one without before. Just got a red stripe and some small scamp decals from the factory.

chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. Looks pretty clean.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Welcome Chris
Good to have another east coast Scamp owner. The NJ Scamp with no title is not a problem as long as you have the NJ plate registration card and Bill of Sale if you bringing it into Va. I have had previous dealings with Pa. DMV agents and I can understand why you let it go.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Welcome. Looks pretty clean.
I had quite a session with some marine polisher- now I read about the floor sealer treatment here.... maybe after the winter.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Welcome Chris
Good to have another east coast Scamp owner. The NJ Scamp with no title is not a problem as long as you have the NJ plate registration card and Bill of Sale if you bringing it into Va. I have had previous dealings with Pa. DMV agents and I can understand why you let it go.
Eddie
Thanks! PA seems to be special with titles, while other states like NJ do not have titles for small trailers. I heard about several tricks - easiest is to tell a NJ notary that you mostly use it there and register it in NJ again (but that is not really legal in PA). Another way would be to take the NJ registration to NY and get a transferable NY registration which is accepted as title in PA. The DMV told me to take the bill of sale and NJ registration to the small claims court and claim ownership . I am glad I asked the NJ seller to hold the camper for a day so I can find out about registering it in PA.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Chris, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I thoroughly understand the problem with titles, we need them in Oregon and Oregon DMV is quite often not helpful

Looks like you're good to go with your nice lookin' new-to-you egg
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp