Need advise on whether to add electric brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Name: Rosemarie
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Need advise on whether to add electric brakes

We have just bought a 2007 Trillium and would like advise on Electric Brakes. The trailer didn't come with them and we are wondering if we should get them installed. We are towing this with a 2003 Xterra. Any advise would be appreciated.
slavewoman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Two questions:

First, what does your Xterra's owner's manual say? Many vehicles specify brakes for anything over 1000 lbs., which would include your Trillium. State/provincial laws also address the issue, but are generally less stringent than the manufacturer.

Second, does your trailer's axle have the square mounting plate needed to add brakes (see the square plate with holes on each corner behind the spindle in the lower left of the photo below)? If it does, you should be able to see it easily if you look behind the wheel of your trailer. If it has the plate, brakes are a relatively easy add. If not, an axle replacement is usually called for, a major project.

Name:   Axle with brake flange.jpeg
Views: 129
Size:  3.4 KB
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
First thing I would do is remove the wheel and see if there is a brake flange welded on the axle. If there is then adding brakes is relatively easy. I am a big fan of trailer brakes and can save your backside if the trailer starts waggling out of control. I can't see driving down mountain roads without them. Allot of states require brakes at 1500 lbs of trailer weight so you pretty much have to install them if you put anything inside your trailer. Check state regulations where you live and where you plan to take your trailer. Far cheaper to add brakes before you get into an accident that you could have avoided should you have had brakes. If your due to replace an axle then when you do get one with brake flanges already welded on.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I type too slow.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Having towed both without and with. I prefer having a trailer with brakes. Even if the tow vehicle specs and local laws don't require them. Having them is easier on the tow vehicles brakes and give one more control over the trailer.

I had some brake work done on my Ranger last month. Found out that Ford no longer carries the drums, nor does Mazda. It took my mechanic through 6 aftermarket suppliers to find some.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I type too slow.
At least we agree!

Oh, and welcome to the forum, Rosemarie! An '07 Trillium sounds like a pretty nice unit. Do you have the 1500 or the 4500? We love pictures here!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: Rosemarie
Alberta
Registry
Thank You

Thanks for the advise. The Trillium is build here in Calgary and the fellow that does them says it is an easy install on our trailer. Will post pictures when we get a chance...
slavewoman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to the site Rosemarie.

The fact that your trailer is built in Alberta means it is a 13', (1300). The Trillium brand is kinda confusing. I refer to the manufacturer of your trailer as Trillium / Outback. Until recently there was a US based manufacture that was called Trillium. Not to be confused with the original company, in Ontario, that shut down around 1981.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Saskatchewan
Hello we recently bought a 1979 trillium 4500 and are restoring we need to replace door handle and lock assembly does anyone no if you can get these new from Calgary manufacturer
burger cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by burger cabin View Post
Hello we recently bought a 1979 trillium 4500 and are restoring we need to replace door handle and lock assembly does anyone no if you can get these new from Calgary manufacturer
If your trailer has a Bargman L400, they are no longer made. I am afraid that you are in for a big surprise:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57885.html
Bargman L400 Entry Door Lock L 400 Vintage Trailer Handle Latch Chrome or Grey | eBay

Some have converted to another latch:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ark-51845.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Saskatchewan
Thank you for your information greatly appreciated 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
burger cabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I don't want to tow without trailer brakes. One example happened to me, we just leaving the Las Vegas, around a corner on the freeway traffic was at a dead stop. I had to through out the anchor, on a corner. I glanced in the mirror that on outside of the corner side of the truck and saw the starting to come around. I had no choice but to apply the brakes as hard as possible. When I stopped I looked back the trailer was right behind like a good little trailer. Sure glad I had them trailer brakes.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:58 AM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Howdy, I have never had brakes on any of the utility trailers I've had as they are only used for short distance hauling. I agree with Roy and Byron on brakes on a TT. I wouldn't even concider not having brakes on a TT. I kind of chalk it up to penny wise and pound foolish. Just as an example, when I bought my SD 17 I didn't have the controler in the truck yet and towed it 80 miles home from sea level to 4100' and back down to 500'. After 20+ years driving commercial heavy trucks I knew what to expect without brakes and had no problems. Bottom line....get brakes, world of difference unless you want to have your trailer pushing you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #14

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I pulled the Little Joe without brakes for a few years and had no problems, but my mind was always way out in front of the vehicle. With the new Outback as TV, I added brakes, per Subaru. I feel much better with the brakes than without. Mind mind is still way up front though.

All the info states that you will get better brake life on both the TV and TT if you use a proportional brake controller. There are still time delay units out there, but the savings are small, and installation is really the same.
The Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Add brakes to your trailer for no other reason than maintenance! Replacing tug brakes is expensive when compared to replacing shoe brakes on your trailer. Without trailer brakes you'll go through tug brakes a lot faster. Keep those expensive maintenance expenses in your pocket for use on fuel to get you places.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Anyway you can improve your towing stability or stopping distances is a real good thing.
If you can get brakes added to your trailer then don't hesitate. Go for it. Money well spent.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The two big reasons I would not pull a trailer without brakes even if the tow vehicle is able to stop the trailer well without brakes on it are:

1) Safety - much safer to stop trailer sway by using the controller lever to apply the brakes to the trailer only than it is to use the brakes on the tow vehicle. Using the tow vehicles brakes to stop a sway is a great way to create a bigger sway issue.

2) Cost of replacing brakes on the tow vehicle. Yup the tow vehicle may do a fine job of stopping a trailer without brakes but if you are towing frequently you can be sure that you will be replacing the tow vehicles brake pads frequently.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Lots of good information on brakes! I can see that it should be a requirement to have brakes on all trailers.
I have a question, about Brake Controller's? Which one is the best to buy?
There are a lot of them, I can not figure out which one to get.

Does any one have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A number of good controllers out there but the Prodigy controllers are one of the most popular here when the topic has come up. Lots of folks using the P2.

What every you buy make sure its a proportional brake controller - it will apply the same amount of braking power to the trailer as you are applying to the tug - you will not be sorry!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A number of good controllers out there but the Prodigy controllers are one of the most popular here when the topic has come up. Lots of folks using the P2.

What every you buy make sure its a proportional brake controller - it will apply the same amount of braking power to the trailer as you are applying to the tug - you will not be sorry!!
Carol,
Thank you for the information! I will check out Prodigy controllers!!!!
I will look for the P2.
Thanks,
Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote