New & looking at light weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Name: Lori
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
New & looking at light weight

Hi everyone. I'm 4 years out from retirement and I'm in the information gathering stage of buying an RV and traveling/living in it full-time.

After considering all types of RVs and going to many shows, I've narrowed it down to wanting a light weight trailer. For a long time I was certain I wanted a Class C but it's only going to be me and my Golden Retriever so I don't need a lot of room. Plus I like the idea of having only one engine to worry about since I know I'd want a toad if I got a Class C.

Now I only need to narrow it down to which lightweight I want. I won't ask opinions because I know everyone has a reason for their preference and it might not be the same as mine.

So I just wanted to say "hey there" and now I'll start searching the forums for much-needed information.

Have a great evening!
rvdevdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Welcome to FGRV Lori. Your best bet to see a lot of molded trailers is going to a rally and talking to folks. There is a rally drop down box for times and locations. Good luck with your search.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Hi!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:39 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Lori, I agree with your decision. When you have a motorhome you eventually endup with two vehicles, the motorhome and the car you tow behind. I know people start off thinking they'll break cam and drive their Class C around. After awhile for most it doesn't work out. At minimum whether they tow it or not everyone will own a vehicle beside their motorhome and it might as well be a tow vehicle.

The advantage of the trailer is that changing tow vehicles after 10 years is a lot easier and less expensive than changing motorhomes.

One decision is do you want a bathroom or not. This is often the dividing line between a 13 and a 16 foot or larger trailer begins, particularly with the space required for a large dog.

Visit a fiberglass rally is a must.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #5

Name: Randy J.
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Hi Lori. You may already follow RV Sue's full-time RV blog. But if not you may find a lot of ideas and even answers here: rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more It's also a very well done blog - nice travel stories and great photography. Good luck with your search.
Randy J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, weight