New Bigfoot B17 owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #1

Name: Martin
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
New Bigfoot B17 owner!

Hi, I'm Martin and my family and I just bought a 1984 Bigfoot B17 trailer. I had been looking at fiberglass trailers for a long time as something I would like for my family camping adventures. Mainly because I live on the west coast of Canada on Vancouver Island also known as the "wet coast" and I've always thought fiberglass trailer are the least prone to leaking.

So we decided to bite the bullet and buy a used camper that came up for sale at a reasonable price. The only thing is that most fiberglass trailers here sell quickly and a person doesn't have much time to investigate it thoroughly before having to make a decision. I was able to give the trailer a look over before we purchased it and despite some of my intuition telling me to walk away we bought it!

Obviously it is a 36 year old trailer and is showing its age. However, I am fairly apprehensive I won't be opening up a can of worms when I start to repair/maintain our new unit. I am sure I wiil be leaning on these forums heavily going forward. I have long looked on here for advice and inspiration about all things fiberglass and I will now likely be posting and asking question s about all things fiberglass camper.
Nice to meet you all
Marty_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:08 PM   #2

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Welcome! And congratulations on your new to you trailer. I think you’ll find this to be a warm and supportive community of like minded (in some ways) folks. Here’s hoping you’ll have plenty of opportunity to use it in the not too distant future.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:22 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_3000 View Post
Obviously it is a 36 year old trailer and is showing its age.
Welcome Martin!

Your introduction reminds me of when my Dad remarked many years ago "my youngest is 50."

I did the math, and 1984 was in fact 36 years ago.

Yikes!

Welcome to the forum. I wish you the best on your new adventure.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Welcome to the family

You'll soon find out, though hopefully not the hard way, that fiberglass trailers definitely do leak. But yeah, not as much as other types of trailers. Make sure those roof vents and windows are sealed.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot B-17'
Washington
Welcome.

We own a 1988 B-17. We keep it covered and heated to 12-16 degrees while stored. It is used mostly in winter when we go south. I know too there is a healthy support group in western BC with beaucoup advice and rendezvous several times a year. And don’t forget the Bigfoot Facebook pages and BOCI.com(Bigfoot Owners Club International). BOCI has an annual rendezvous, this years is in Coos Bay, Oregon, and several mini rallies that can happen anywhere on the North American continent. We look forward to your posts here.
Glass House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Welcome Marty and congrats on your find. There are still many '80s Bigfoot trailers around so I'm sure you can find all the help you need. And don't forget, Bigfoot itself is right around the corner in Armstrong. When I had my BF I stopped in there one time and they were very helpful.

Walt
Old 04-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #7

Name: Derek
British Columbia
Hey Martin. Welcome to the happy family of BF 17 owners. I've had mine ('89) for two years now and she's a peach. I'm a B.C.'er too.

I have most of the manuals so if you're looking for info and can't find it online let me know. This website is a great place for info and sane solutions that cause insanity.
If the Covid-19 is settled by Fall we're taking the trailer to Tuktoyaktuk. Our 2nd trip to the Yukon and 1st to NWT.

If I may, my first suggestion is to sign up with the 'Bigfoot Owners Club International' Google them - a bottomless pit of relevant info. Last year we went to one of their mini rallies in Wa. It felt like extended family. We were finishing each others. sentences!
Once again congrats on making a good move!
Derek
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:55 PM   #8

British Columbia
Thank you for all the info and warm welcome everyone! You may very well see us at a rally one day...
Old 04-04-2020, 07:47 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrorojo View Post
Hey Martin. Welcome to the happy family of BF 17 owners. I've had mine ('89) for two years now and she's a peach. I'm a B.C.'er too.

I have most of the manuals so if you're looking for info and can't find it online let me know. This website is a great place for info and sane solutions that cause insanity.
If the Covid-19 is settled by Fall we're taking the trailer to Tuktoyaktuk. Our 2nd trip to the Yukon and 1st to NWT.

If I may, my first suggestion is to sign up with the 'Bigfoot Owners Club International' Google them - a bottomless pit of relevant info. Last year we went to one of their mini rallies in Wa. It felt like extended family. We were finishing each others. sentences!
Once again congrats on making a good move!
Derek
I was aware of the "Bigfoot owners club international" but upon closer investigation I didn't realize that there is an annual membership fee$$$ Do you think it is worth the cost of admission to join? Do you pay for a mbership?
Old 04-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I joined when I first bought my bigfoot but dropped it after a couple of years. I didn't think it was nearly as useful as the free forums like this one and Casitaforum.

Walt
Old 04-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #11

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Congratulations!

Welcome to the wonderful world of fiberglass trailers, Marty, especially the Bigfoot variety!

I just sold my beloved 1988 Bigfoot 17' DLX, named "Marty." My parents bought it brand-new, and I bought it from my Dad after my Mom passed. It now lives in the Seattle, WA, area and the young man who bought it acted like a kid on Christmas morning. I couldn't have found a better home for it.

I lived in Marty full-time for 5-1/2 years and would probably still be living in her if the deal of a lifetime hadn't dropped into my lap last year. My new 5th wheel home isn't fiberglass (gasp!), but at some point I hope to add a 13-foot Bigfoot for camping trips.

The adventures have just begun for you and your family!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot