new bigfoot owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #1

Name: Clayton
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
new bigfoot owner

Hello all

I am a new trailer owner and glad to now be a part of this site. Tons of great info on here and I haven't even got to deep into it.

So as mentioned I recently bought a 1981 17.5' bigfoot. It is in not to bad of shape and was pretty well exactly what I was after. Lacking hot water, it would be my only thing I would like to change. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear what others have done around this issue. Also I have heard of converter issues on these old power units with over charging batteries? In looking into my system someone has added a newmark charge control module and I can't find any info on this addition. If anyone has info on control modules I would like to know if this unit is the answer to the common converter issue. Now this is not the place I should be asking these questions so I should just finish with the fact I am super stoked to own a fibreglass trailer as I'm sure all on here are aswell.
bigfoot-clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Clayton.
Glad you found what you were looking for.
There will be lots of help for you here.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 PM   #3

Name: Jaybird
Trailer: Bigfoot
Washington
Congratulations on your BF trailer

I have owned 2 BF campers, 1 BF motorhome, and 2 BF 25rQ trailers. I currently have the RQ and we use it for winter ski area camping. TRAILER TRASH You will have some ups and downs with the trailer as you use it. It is nice to have things fixed that we really like. Good Luck J
Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
A great find!!

We looked at many BF's when we started to get back into trailering.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #5

Name: Francois
British Columbia
Registry
Hi...

if your converter is still working, you're doing better than me. My newly acquired 97 CB came with a converter that does not charge the batteries anymore...I have been considering several options...repairing the existing does not look like a good or desirable option. So the choices appear to be (a) buy and install a new power center (b) buy and install an electronic converter/charger "module" specifically made/sized to replace the original in my power center (c) "redneck engineering"...get rid of the converter/charger and wiring in a good quality charger in the system, rewiring so all the DC power comes from the batteries....

still considering options (I got all winter).....(a) would be nice especially since I could relocate to power center to a space that is not really usable at the moment and free up the space where the ex. PC now sits

(b) is popular apparently....there is a fan with all these electronic cnv./ch. and I worry in the present location if it wouldn't be a "problem" (in option (a) the sound muffling would be better and this would not be a concern)

both these options are very expensive when I check them out at my local "RV bandits" just for the parts, let alone the install (I'm planning on doing that myself...but still...)

so I'm still looking...if I can source a part that I won't have to get a second mortgage for...I'll go with that otherwise it'll plan "c"....

Our power centers are probably different though....here's a picture of mine......Where are you in BC?....I'm in Courtenay

good luck....F
Attached Thumbnails
elecp.jpg   elecp3.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Replacing the Magnetek converter.

Guys:
I successfully replaced my Magnetek, obsolete and dangerous converter, with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 Inteli-Power unit purchased online at under $150.
See this modification <http://home.comcast.net/~rabarber/magnetek.htm> which turned out almost exactly as mine.
In my unit, the floor under the transformer was scorched almost black.
See my whole story:
<http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/93-bigfoot-17cb-magnetek-converter-bad-30463.html>
I have added an additional battery under the curbside settee bunk, so I have a total of 200 AHr in 2 AGM batteries.
It really wasn't that hard a job and has been working fine for over 6 years.
I use a Xantex Link 20 to monitor ALL the battery parameters and my batteries, commercial size 27 AGMs, removed from a medical backup system routinely after 5 years are still testing good after 11 years. However, if they last next season, I will be changing them out!
Good luck.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #7

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Welcome to the Bigfoot and fiberglass gang.
Wish you happy traveling and best of uck

Ron
Old 12-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Mike...and a question.....

yeah I saw one of those intellipower units that fits right into the bottom compartment.......price was 300 and there was another thing (charging monitor or something) to buy as well......but that's at my local "RV bandit"...at that price I'm considering a whole new power center (smaller size wise)......anyway could you comment on the fan, how often it comes on in normal use.....and is it a "problem" noise wise in your unit....TIA, F
Attached Thumbnails
elecpar.jpg   elecpar3.jpg  

Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Fan noise from converter.

In normal use the fan does not come on. When it does, such as charging the batteries after boondocking a few days, the fan comes on at several speeds, depending on the heat buildup. It is very quiet and I hardly notice it.
I do see several (many) types of RV converters on eBay at much more reasonable prices than the $300 quoted to you. Mine is still $150 + $13 shipping while other suitable units are at the $100 mark. I would normally suggest to just change out the lower unit but this year the 12V distribution panel went intermittent on 2 fuses. They just suddenly go open, then a wiggle and they are good again. However, my radio needs to be reset every time. I think that the Magnetek System, while good in 1993, has now turned to c--p!
Again, on eBay I picked up a replacement 12V panel, with leds showing blown fuses, for $12 and will change out the old panel in the spring.
So, maybe, a complete replacement of the converter, 12V fuse panel and 120VAC circuit breaker system wouldn't hurt.
I've sure spent too many hours on my Magnetek POS!
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #10

British Columbia
Registry
thanks again Mike....

good info on the fan noise...yeah I know what you mean about time spent on your magnatek....same here.....I notice your's is a CB model as well....if I find a whole new PC for a decent price, the two I posted earlier would fit real well in the space behind left side seat back (by the bathroom wall)...the wires would all reach (instead of being secured to the floor they would go up).....and it would use up space there that is really sort of inaccessible....I'd just put a bulkhead in that storage compartment in line with the side of the access door......the bonus would be to free up all that space under the seat and unclutter it (no more wires)...very usable, easy access space...can't never have enough of that cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails
bedmod9.jpg   bedmod1.jpg  

Old 12-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #11

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
1981 Bigfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot-clayton View Post
Hello all

I am a new trailer owner and glad to now be a part of this site. Tons of great info on here and I haven't even got to deep into it.

So as mentioned I recently bought a 1981 17.5' bigfoot. It is in not to bad of shape and was pretty well exactly what I was after. Lacking hot water, it would be my only thing I would like to change. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear what others have done around this issue. Also I have heard of converter issues on these old power units with over charging batteries? In looking into my system someone has added a newmark charge control module and I can't find any info on this addition. If anyone has info on control modules I would like to know if this unit is the answer to the common converter issue. Now this is not the place I should be asking these questions so I should just finish with the fact I am super stoked to own a fibreglass trailer as I'm sure all on here are aswell.
Your Bigfoot only be a 17ft. The 17.5 came out years later in the 2000 years.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

British Columbia
That makes more sense cause I pulled a tape on it and couldn't figure out why it was called a 17.5' as claimed by the lady which owned it before me when it was closer to 17' even. Learn something new everyday

Thanks for the info
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The model name for your trailer (and mine) is 15B17G. The "15" part means it's a 1500 series. The "B" is for Bigfoot. The "17" is for 17 ft. length. And, the "G" is for gaucho. A 17.5 ft. model is a 2500 series.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #14

British Columbia
Registry
yep, 1500 series....

and for awhile there they even labeled them that way....Hey, Clayton. where you at, anyway?
Attached Thumbnails
15002.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #15

British Columbia
I live just south of Nanaimo.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:47 PM   #16

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I have a 15B21RB a 2001.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
ok....so about your inquiries....

I'm afraid I'm of no help with the hot water issue....Was there no hot water heater in your coach at all when it came out of the factory?? Like there's no dead water heater in there now?

If so, just from my limited experience, adding HW is probably going to be a challenge....not impossible but a PIA for sure. The way these things are built make them really hard to get at installed systems/wiring......in mine the main wiring run (bundle) was put in and secured to the floor...THEN they installed the hot water heater OVER it....good luck with changing/tracing anything...gotta live with it as is....

You having a charge controller is probably a good sign....sorta tells me that your PO was aware that the converter/chargers in these things were pretty lame and put up a defense against the worst (overcharging the battery(ies)).......that's a plus....

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"....so if it was me I'd be inclined to leave it as is....get a meter and monitor what is going on at different times......myself I'm going to install a digital readout meter right by the dinette table....won't cost much but I'll know where my batteries are at all the time.......but first, as I said earlier, I have to ditch my dead converter/charger as the charger part is not working anymore (just a little detail my DPO "forgot" to mention)...not worth fixing.....that'll happen in the spring.....

and speaking of electrical....I was browsing through "Crappy Tire" today and happened on a Coleman solar power kit.....on sale! 50% off!!!....had to get it....forty watt panel with charge controller.....now I got more electrical stuff to figure out.....LOL...Cheers from Courtenay and good luck to ya, F
Attached Thumbnails
mort3.jpg  
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The early 17 ft model had 3 different sub models; standard, deluxe, and spirit wing. The standard had no shower or hot water heater. Also, it had no separate gray water tank. The kitchen sink connected to the small (9 gal.)black water tank.

Tags
bigfoot