New Boler Owner! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2016, 04:54 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
New Boler Owner!

Hi there,
I've been wanting a Boler ever since I saw my first one a few years ago and today I can say that my lady and I are proud owners of a 73 Boler. Just wondering what your thoughts are on ours and where we should start with regards to the rejuvenation of this little guy. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1700.jpg  
John Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, and congratulations, John!

First, get it thoroughly clean inside and out. Your dirt is cleaner than anyone else's.

Second, make it safe to tow. Check axle, tires, bearings, brakes (if equipped), running lights, wiring harness, coupler. While you're at it, inspect the frame carefully for cracks, especially under the front of the cabin where the frame bends into the tongue and around the door.

Third, check for leaks and deal with what you find. A garden hose with a sprayer is helpful if the weather doesn't cooperate. Make sure you look inside the cabinets and benches around the perimeter of the shell. Water can enter at a window and run behind the insulation and come out at the floor. You may have to reseal windows and/or vents. At this point you hope you don't find floor rot from long-neglected leaks in the past.

Fourth, determine what works and what doesn't (appliances, plumbing, AC and DC wiring). You don't need to fix everything at once- you can bypass non-functional components (i.e., use an ice chest in place of a broken fridge). Just make sure there are no hazards, such as leaking propane or electrical faults.

The rest, including the fun cosmetic updates, you can deal with as time and funds permit. Just don't let renovations keep you from using the trailer- it doesn't have to be perfect to have a good time camping!

Member Ian G. has written a helpful guide to common issues with old Bolers: Boler Buyer's Guide

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Good advice Jon....use it if at all possible and do things as you go.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Everyone has their own ideas/ways of camping so yes by all means camp in it first if at all possible (at least a few times would be a good idea) so you can decide what works and what doesn't before you made any changes...that is the only thing I would do different about our, we started modifiying ours right away and found a few things that we modified were not ideal and have since changed them.

Oh and Jon I like the "Your dirt is cleaner than anyone else's."
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
...Oh and Jon I like the "Your dirt is cleaner than anyone else's."
Not mine. I believe Donna D. once said something of the kind and the phrase stuck in my mind. So true!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Ontario Boler

Hi John; Welcome to the forum, and to the Ontario Boler family. Ours is identical to yours. '73, and currently under initial renovation. You haven't indicated where you are located in our huge province; but you should look up Paul Nieumeister in Sebringville. We're in the Algonquin area; but, he's the accepted 'guru' for Bolers, Trilliums, and many other FGRV's too in Ontario as well as several northern US states. He helped us with a new axle, with brakes as our first reno. PM me and perhaps we could exchange further Boler info. Havagudtime with yours, and get out for some initial camping before the white stuff comes again.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome John, your Boler looks great. Any inside pics? Love the cooler too,did it come with it?
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Name: Nicole
Trailer: Eco
Colorado
Talking Congratulations!

Congrats on the "new" Boler. We have an Eco which is very similar and ours is a 1974. Once I get on my phone, I will post some photos of how far we have come with ours. It has been about 2 1/2 weeks but we had it gutted, painted the interior, ripped up the flooring, and removed some dry rotted wood on the inside where the table goes. Enjoy! It has certainly been a very fun project.
BrowningSchubarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the advice! First we started off with a good scrubbing in and out, removal of the cushion covers, and new wheels and rims. Next up we are looking to get the original tail lights working again (would also like to install an internal battery too), re-upholster the cushion / switch out the drapes. We had a pretty good rain storm here the other day and were happy to see minimal leaking! The Door has some sag to it up near the top which i hope is due to the hinges (looking like our biggest issue). And yes the sweet cooler came with it! (along with many other things we are still sorting through) More pics to come.
John Bain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #10

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
John,
Welcome. I just bought one that looks just like yours. Mine is a 1974 and from your picture you have the same sun beaten green I do. I to have the same interior work to do that you do. I have just taken the frame from under mine for a little welding and sand blasting then paint. My wheels were so loose and worn that I bought new hub kits about $50 bucks. Not a bad way to go if you need it. I did notice one difference and that is that you have lights in the front of the body like the back. It must be in '74 they didn't do that.

Enjoy the project as I am also,

Rick W.
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler