New Burro owner in GA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #1

Name: Donald
Trailer: Burro 13'
Georgia
New Burro owner in GA

Just wanted to say howdy from GA! I am Donald and I just recently acquired, yesterday, a classic Burro in need of A LOT of work. I love a hands on project, even though I have SO many going on right now, and am looking forward to redoing this camper, even if it isn't in the near future.

I will soon be graduating from college and Air Force ROTC and wanted to use the trailer for a cross country drive to Alaska this Summer. Unfortunately, due to this magnitude of work it needs I may have to get an additional camper, probably a teardrop, for this trip. It's all good because I have big plans for the Burro and a good use for it until I can give it the full attention it needs.

I know, I know, this thread is useless without pics. They will be delivered in the near future
aws140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome Donald.

Look at it this way, if it tows safely and doesn't leak, you have a super tent on wheels. You can use a sleeping bag, a portable LP stove and a folding table for your adventure, then fix it up when you have the time.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by aws140 View Post

I will soon be graduating from college and Air Force ROTC and wanted to use the trailer for a cross country drive to Alaska this Summer. Unfortunately, due to this magnitude of work it needs I may have to get an additional camper, probably a teardrop, for this trip. It's all good because I have big plans for the Burro and a good use for it until I can give it the full attention it needs.
Welcome to the world of fiberglass and congratulations on your "new" camper.

If the Burro is towable I would suggest that you use it for your Alaska trip. Think of it as a hard side tent as Tom suggested.

Do a complete inspection, make sure the running lights work and repack the wheel bearings. A set of tires might also be in order and don't forget a spare (or two).

Are you going on active duty on graduation and, if so, are you going to be stationed in Alaska? If so you will find that the value of the Burro will increase when you arrive there. Everything costs more in AK (except snow cones).

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #4

Georgia
When I say a lot of work, I mean a lot. Whoever the PO got it from had swapped it onto another trailer, which has 10" wheels and MAJOR rust problems. It is not road worthy. We drove over 10 hours with a trailer to KY to pick it up for this reason. The PO before last also must have let the door get caught in the wind. This resulted in fiberglass damage to the camper, which was repaired, and installing crappy hinges and the door about 1" low, so it doesn't shut properly. So, at a minimum, it needs a trailer swap and fiberglass work on the door.

These aren't deal breakers for Alaska use, as it's mostly for my puppies anyways, but the wind resistance compared to the teardrop I looked at is the biggest issue. Trying to minimize the projected $3k gas bill for this trip. It still isn't out of the question. I still need to do measurements, calculations, and lots of research.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Donald, welcome to FiberglassRV! You're going to find a bunch of kind and helpful people here. You've probably noticed we love at pictures and following others rehabs/rebuilds is a treat! With pictures of course
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Name: Landy
Trailer: 17ft. Burro
Florida
Welcome, Donald. We have a 1988 Burro and just love it. Fortunately, the 2 previous owners took good care of it. I have made a few changes, but nothing major yet. I don't have a tremendous amount of knowledge about the Burro, but I would be glad to chat with you anytime. We did install a residential air conditioner in the shower stall and it works fine. It does not take up any space from the toilet area. I don't know how many Burro owners out there in our part of the world, but we should get together some time. We just went to a Scamp Camp in Highlands Hammock,FL and we were the ONLY Burro there. We had a lot of folks come by and look at our rig. If you want to e-mail me direct, my address is landyl@fairpoint.net. Keep on Burrowing!!
Landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, donald! you have quite a project on your hands but it WILL be worth it!
there's nothing quite like these little guys and they do get under one's skin....
even if you do go to alaska hauling a tear drop, i know that i would be very interested in following your journey ..... and am sure others here would as well. if you'd post photos along the way, we can all go there with you!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #8

Georgia
Thanks for the support. After further inspection of the Burro, I definitely have a large project on my hands. Good thing I enjoy projects. Bad thing I have sooo many. At least it keeps me productive.

I have created a thread about the camper, which has pictures, and here is the link:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post369306

If people want to follow my journey, then I will make a thread, blog, or something and share if with you kind folks

Tags
burro