New Burro owners...1st time trailering - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
New Burro owners...1st time trailering

We are excited to be entering the world of fiberglass trailers! We have purchased a 1999 Burro 17' and will be picking it up next week.

After 20 years of tent camping and a *very cold* week spent at Steens Mountain in SE Oregon last year, we decided it was time to move our 50+ year old bodies to a higher level of comfort. My husband has had a phobia about the slippery slide of trailers/rvs, fearing that once we got started we would somehow keep upsizing until we ended up with a 45' diesel pusher!

Last Fall we discovered the world of fiberglass trailers. We rented a 16' Scamp and spent 2 1/2 weeks traveling around N. California with our 2 dogs to test things out, and LOVED it! We realized that these little beauties have everything we need (and more) and we didn't have to succumb to big ugly aluminum box. We started checking out the options and decided that we liked features of the Burro. It took months and months of watching for the right one to come along, but it finally did.

We are jumping in with both feet and will be spending one night at the NOG gathering in April, hoping to pick the brains of those with far more experience than us. This forum has been an invaluable tool as we researched for our purchase, found the trailer posted here, and have had help from others as we prepare to tow with our Volvo XC70.

As we pick it up next week we trust it's just the beginning of many years of adventures ahead for us. Excited about the journey!

//Marcia & Peter (with Hodie & Libby the traveling dogs)
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Marcia. After you purchase it post some pictures please. Good luck on the purchase.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry

Welcome and yes, we'd love to see photos of your Burro!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:25 PM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
Hi Marcia,

Welcome!

Enjoy the Burro and have fun at NOG. We attended our first FG rally last year and it was great fun and very informative.

Rick and Jessica
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Glad you got encouragement on tv suitability. Post pix. Mods or resto? Post more pix. Memorable campsite? Post pix. We luv em. Best regards.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Here's some thoughts for when you pick it up, especially if you have to tow it very far to get home.

If this is your first adventure in FGRV's you will have the opportunity to learn a lot, but be sure to ask each and every question you may or may not think of asking.

Because it's new-to-you, first concerns might be tire age and wheel bearing service, tires should be less than 5 years old and wheel bearings need to be repacked every year or so, as well as having the brakes checked while the drums are off.

Next might be checking out all the appliances and verify that they work as intended, especially the refrigerator and furnace if so equipped. Have the seller show you that they actually work.

How's that for the first few hours with your new Burro?

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro