New Canadian U-Haul CT-13 Owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: U-Haul CT-13 1985
Quebec
New Canadian U-Haul CT-13 Owner

I wanted a small fiberglass camper long time ago. Here in Canada, there are not a lot of them available. I finally found a U-Haul CT-13 1985 and all I can tell is that I am very satisfied with my purchase so far. I did not have the chance to really try it but I am convinced that I will love it. This winter I am doing some customization such as install of a permanent King size bed in place of the dining table, bunker's bed removal and replace it with a 2 seat dining table, A/C install, Microwave support over the dining table, removal of the roof carper, install of dimming 2 LED strips, add water pump second circuit, etc,etc.

I miss you my little egg...
Youhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Dan, welcome to FiberglassRV.... brrrr poor U-haul looks cold

Appears you tried to upload a thumbnail? Here's the direct link to your Photobucket pages: Youhauler Dan
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #3

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Dan, Welcome to the Forum
"Cool" picture of your "youhaul". Would be great to see some interior pics when you have time.
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'm curious as to how you're going to fit a king size bed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
We are new owners of a uhaul - 1985 ourselves and would love to see all of your renovations in that I veiw this trailer as a blank canvas and I want to paint and make the interior cozy and the outside special. We'll be picking it up this week so anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated.
Darnold12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Deb,

Check out my camper pix for the interior images of our Uhaul VT. Also Mike Meyer (mmeyer) and Roger Kimble (my apologies if I have forgotten other VT owners) Search for CindyL, mmeyer, and Roger Kimble and click on our avatars. It will take you to the pictures we have uploaded.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #7

Name: Deb
Trailer: Sold:::SCAMP
Arizona
Sorry Cindy - new to this site. Where am I searching to view the pictures?
Darnold12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Click on my name that is a link. It will take you there.

Cindy
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #9

Quebec
King size bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I'm curious as to how you're going to fit a king size bed.
First, I want to appologize for my poor English.

I removed the table/bed assembly and replaced it by a same size plywood sheet. I installed a slide-out that can be pulled between until it is flush to the refrigerator. To hold the slide-out in place, there is an aluminium tubing inserted between the side cabinets.

We sleep 90 degree from the standard way. So we have plenty of space for ours arms and body (72 inches). But for the feet, we only have about 36 inches wide. We sleep an afternoon to try this new configuration and it was way better than the normal minimal 48 inches wide.

Here are a few pics. Of course, the cushion are not installed.

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps8c2a9fa8.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...psc92c03ae.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps3af0308a.jpg

By the way, a big thanks to everybody that contributed to this forum. There is a lot of good info here.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Interesting bed setup. When you do your A/C install, there is some debate over whether the roof on the CT is strong enough to support a roof mount unit. We installed a Fantastic Fan on our Uhaul. My opinion is to not install a A/C unit on the roof, but that is up to each individual owner to decide. I made an opening under the original furnace location for storage, and another opening for a new power converter near where the original was, and reinforced those openings with plywood. Also reinforced the horizontal areas for the rear bed and use plywood instead of the original table for the bed.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #11

Quebec
Hello Bob,
I agree with you about the roof not strong enough for an A/C. I ordered a Vortex I upgrade kit (similar function that a fantastic fan) and I will modify it to add a flow direction switch and add a motor speed controller. I will use it when it is not too hot. I will also install a window A/C under the seat close to the entry (not installed yet).

Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #12

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Welcome to Fiberglass, and the U-Hall family, yes you will love the trailer.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #13

Name: Chris
Trailer: U-Haul
Georgia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youhauler View Post
Hello Bob,
I agree with you about the roof not strong enough for an A/C. I ordered a Vortex I upgrade kit (similar function that a fantastic fan) and I will modify it to add a flow direction switch and add a motor speed controller. I will use it when it is not too hot. I will also install a window A/C under the seat close to the entry (not installed yet).
Mine has a cut out in the front right at the door. PO said it was for a small AC unit. I can't see how it would take much to cool it off. I like the extension to the bed you have.
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome, fellow UH owner! They're great little campers. Your bed extension is genius!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #15

Name: Diane
Trailer: 19' 2002 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Diane R.
Welcome! We have an original 85 Uhaul that has made many memories for us in the past 5 years. I dream about doing some special touches some day, and enjoy seeing what others do. I will watch for updates on your mods.
Diane R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hi Dan, welcome.

No worries about your English, it is much better to understand than many who speak it as a first language.

Cool bed modification. A member of the Escape forum did a similar thing to her 17' Escape to get more leg room for the two of them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
We have an '86 13' boler and we've been sleeping that way for about 7 years. We have one small dog, and a cat who sleep on the bed so we had to make it bigger. During the day our slide-out slips back under the bed on "c" channels and we pop the little extension mattress up on the bed so the furbabies can sit up there looking out the window. Then we have our full floor space back for during the day. We converted our couch/bunk beds at the front into 3-way couch/bunkbeds/table and seating for two at the same time so the big dinette stays down as a bed. We topped that new bed off with memory foam and it's actually more confortable than our "in the house" bed.
Sleeping 90 degrees from normal makes for lots of room where our bodies are and who cares about our feet? The 36" width there works just fine.
I posted pics and instructions on how we did it a couple of years ago but have no idea where to look for them now.
We just finished putting two 5/8" square aluminum tubes curved to the proper shape, on the inside of our roof to prop it back up after an over-load of ice and snow and the addition of a Fantastic Fan made it sag over 2". These new additions are working really well and the roof is back to it's original height. We installed them on the inside right over the carpet and you really don't even notice them.
Lots of luck with your travels.
Bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #18

Quebec
Thank you very much to all of you for your kindly feedback. I will keep you in touch when I have finished my mods. It will take some time because it is so cold here in winter.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
They always look so sad when they're covered in snow like that
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #20

Quebec
My mod completed (almost)

Yesssss. The winter is finished and I am ready to try my new portable little house on the road. I am posting some pics of the modifications I did this winter.

Tags
u-haul