New Casita owner in Colorado - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
New Casita owner in Colorado

Hello, my wife and I are new Casita owners from northern Colorado! Recently purchased 2005 17ft Casita and looking forward to Spring and setting out on some new adventures. Any suggestions for nearby spots would be appreciated.
Flyfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bob, and congratulations on your new trailer!

I don't know what you consider "nearby," but Arizona has some great spots for winter camping ranging from RV resorts to boondocking on public lands. State and county parks are our favorite option. Most accept reservations, recommended during the peak winter season.

Temperatures have been below normal this year, so not exactly balmy, but your Casita should be cozy enough at night. Daytime temperatures (between storms, anyway) are nice for hiking and active outdoor pursuits.

Best wishes in your travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #3

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bob!

Congratulations! My DW and I bought a new to us '05 Casita 17' FD about 6 weeks ago. Welcome to the Casita family, but most importantly welcome to the community of FG egg campers. Also, based on only being a member of FGRV.com since August, this website and its forum is an amazing resource of wonderful folks, wisdom, energy, and passion.

Happy Camping,

Dean
Old 12-28-2015, 03:49 PM   #4

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Bob,
I'm also in Colorado. maybe our paths will cross sometime.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:54 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Bob welcome to the zoo. There are plenty of great tips and tricks in the site.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Welcome to the FGRV world! Northern Colorado, wow. How long a list would you like? So many wonderful and interesting sights in the area.

Agate Fossil Beds, NE, Rocky Mountain NP, Dinosaur NP, Toadstools, The Sinks near Lander,WY, Rifle, CO falls, and on, and on. Just go out there and discover!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:18 AM   #7

Name: mike
Trailer: CASITA
New York
head south ASAP .

Come back in spring

enjoy
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:35 AM   #8

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
Welcome to,the world of fiberglass eggs! Ours is up on jacks, covered, and gorged with antifreeze! Each day now that I wake up, it's one day closer to spring! We have a pristine 16 ft. Scamp, totally modded out with many great options.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #9

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Hi, Bob,
We live in Fort Collins, and this year we discovered an easily overlooked campground in the Denver area (Wheatridge). The Prospect RV Park
We camp here sometimes and "do" Denver plus other things that are within reach, like Red Rocks, Mt Evans, etc. In addition to being closer to lots of Colorado stuff, this campground is very nice. The people and facilities are great. The person at the check in desk is the same person that built the campground with her father a long time ago. They are still there running things. Plus the campground backs up to an open space and Clear Creek Trail for some nice hiking/biking. There are quite a few permanent residents at the campground, but it's a nice environment. Not "seedy" at all. The last time we were there, we saw two, not just one, but two campers who have some dogs that are trained to chase away geese! I'd never heard of this kind of service before, but there were two of them here. I guess they just follow the geese wherever they go and hire out there services as needed. All in all, this is a great urban campground with lots to offer.

Also, we are very keen on Vedauwoo Campground, which is between Laramie and Cheyenne. It's a really neat place.
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
We are also in Colorado, in the Denver Metro area and there are SO MANY great places to camp. My FAVORITE book, is Camping Colorado, A Falcon Guide, by Melinda Crow. It breaks the state into various areas, with great info regarding costs, on line reservations, amenities, etc. There are tons of great spots along the Poudre river, the Medicine Bow mountains (where Snowy Range Ski Hill is, near Laramie) are lovely and would be close for you. Golden Gate State Park is beautiful. We also LOVE Utah and Arizona for camping. Olive Ridge campground near Estes Park is one of our favorites, as well as camping in Rocky Mountain National Park. I would suggest going on line to reserveamerica.com and looking at campsites as well. You can reserve on line beginning six months in advance. Campgrounds fill up quickly in this beautiful state, so definitely worth making some reservations if you can! Enjoy! Maybe we'll see you out there!
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:01 PM   #11

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganza View Post

Also, we are very keen on Vedauwoo Campground, which is between Laramie and Cheyenne. It's a really neat place.
We've driven by Vedauwoo several times and keep saying we need to go there! Maybe this will be the year! Thanks for reminding me of that
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #12

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 22' Home Built
Ohio
Registry
Hi Flyfisher, congratulations ! My fav place in the world (haven't been there since 1977 but I am hoping for late spring) is Lost Lake Slough which is northwest of Crested Butte and south of Paonia. Take a side trip to Marble, Co. No hook ups, boondocking at it's best though, good fishing. Then over to Silverton,Co for a train ride, then Zion National Park in Utah, the coastal road in California, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe. Oregon, the Olympic Peninsula...on and on. Leave now, quit your job, camping wanderlust is about to set in, don't fight it, give in to the green side, live off what you catch, make up a sign..."Will work for food, gas and campsite fees". Sorry, I got carried away just thinking about your future adventures. Now where is that nurse with my meds?
OhTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:25 PM   #13

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Bob,

Be sure to visit Mueller State Park, west of Colo Springs. We have visited many CO state parks but Mueller is one of the very best....
Attached Thumbnails
20150907_174904001.jpg  
Old 12-30-2015, 12:13 AM   #14

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
We go up the Poudre canyon a bunch; there is good dispersed camping up pingree park road. Dowdy lake near red feather is nice, too.

Further away...I like lake Irwin/lost lake near crested butte....great fishing and nice hikes. The sand dunes are fun, and the black canyon of the gunnison (north side) is spectacular.
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 AM   #15

Name: Dean
Kentucky
Registry
Thomas,

LOL! Love your post!!! Your passion, energy, and zest for camping/ travel/ wanderlust are contagious. Don't take any medication for that!!!

Dean
Old 02-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #16

Name: Guy
Trailer: Casita LD & Coleman 1805
Colorado
Where in NOCO are you?
Guy Larimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #17

Colorado
Thank you all for your fun and interesting suggestions and responses. With the temps nearing 70 today and a new Toyota Forerunner I am chomping at the bit to set things into action. I have reservations at Boyd Lake State Park for a close to home first time out; a weekend in RMNP Aspenglen campground; a state park near Hartsel and a long weekend in Saratoga WY. Can't wait!!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #18

Colorado
Longmont during the week and Tabernash other times... YOU??
Old 02-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #19

Name: Guy
Trailer: Casita LD & Coleman 1805
Colorado
Loveland
Guy Larimer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita