"New" Compact II - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
"New" Compact II

Hi all.

Yesterday was a big day for us.

We started out by driving an hour and a half to look at a CT 13. We decided we'd never fit in its tiny bed. Drove home all disconsolate. Then I searched this forum for "bed size" saw the Compact II, realized there was a new ad referral right next to where I was reading!

Quick phone call and jumped back in the car for a run back to within a mile of our previous visit.

VOILA! there sat the camper of our dreams!

We are looking out the window at it this morning in utter amazement!

I suppose everybody goes through this initial euphoria. I just wanted to share it with everybody.

I can't believe we went from Wanna-Bees to Do-Bees so fast!

Denece and Rob V
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

Name: Mary
Trailer: Considering a casita
Nebraska
Wow talk about something being "meant to be!" Congrats! I had never even heard of these things ... when I think of "compact" I think "Shasta Compact" but a FB group I belong to has the owner of one of these. Way to go!
nebraskama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Welcome to our LITTLE Hunter of CA family and...

...ESPECIALLY, that of the Compact II model!

A year or so ago, we spoke in a thread on this forum, of getting all the FG trailers with the pop-up height extenders together at a SPECIAL little rally.
I never followed through with the WHERE, WHEN etc arrangements, as it was summertime and all the campgrounds would not have had enough un-reserved spaces for a group of us to be nestled all together.

BUT, let's try to do it sometime this summer or early FALL!
We'll get the Compact II & Jr and Hunter I, Cadet/Taurus as well as TrailsWest Campster, etc from an on-line search of the FB trailer registry and get them all invited.

Wagons HO!

Hope yours is as much fun as mine's been! It's a sturdy fun-loving retro rig!

Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Congratulations Denece,
Being a "new" owner, I know that euphoria! Would love to see some pictures!
Phil
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
...ESPECIALLY, that of the Compact II model!

A year or so ago, we spoke in a thread on this forum, of getting all the FG trailers with the pop-up height extenders together at a SPECIAL little rally.
<cut|>.

We'll get the Compact II & Jr and Hunter I, Cadet/Taurus as well as TrailsWest Campster, etc from an on-line search of the FB trailer registry and get them all invited.

<cut>

Barbara
Barbara - REALLY! the rest of us are not invited???? Gezzzz I never thought of you as being such a snob!!!! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

California
Registry
First (of many) question

OK it seems our little gem has no battery. Any advice on best placement, installation tips, etc.

We are thinking a gel battery opposite the water tank. We have already ordered the replacement LED lights so draws will be minimal.

Also...
Has anyone installed a rock shield? If you did, what did you use?

Questions, we got questions

Denece
Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Denece, CONGRATS!!!!

My suggestion would be to post out at Care and Feeding... one question per thread. Keeps stuff together for Q&A and sure helps with Search... especially if the title has real meaning.

Post pictures when you can!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

California
Registry
Thanks! Will do. I know I have been making good use of the "search" feature myself and should have thought of that!

D
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Battery Placement

Hi Denece,
Congratulations on finding your Compact II. I remember how long it took me to find mine, after many months of searching online. It's quite exciting to be a new owner, as well. I hope you enjoy working on it as much as I did ( and do, since it's not done yet!).
Concerning the location and installation of a battery:
I welded some angle iron, actually metal cut from a bed frame, to the front tongue. The battery fits snuggly in the metal frame, which has attachment points welded on for securing with straps.
The original battery was located inside the trailer, near the small access door. Because of battery fumes, it's safer to move the battery outside. I'm not familiar with gel batteries, however, so I can't say where it's best to locate one.

Hope this helps,
Fran
74 Compact II
Attached Thumbnails
IM004445.JPG  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #10

California
Registry
battery

Thanks

The good thing about gels is that they don't fume. That's why we figured under the bed was fine. I asked this same question over in care and feeding so hope to get lots of help!

We don't have the door you mention. This must have been the most-stripped-down Compact II ever sold!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 PM   #11

California
Registry
BTW Francine, we are wondering where we might find a nice awning such as you have over your front window. Would you happen to know a source?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Window Guard

Hi Denece,
I found pictures of your trailer on the registry. It looks to have been well cared for, and has had the pop-top fabric replaced. That's a biggy, because it was a big deal to make a new one and put it back on, so consider yourself lucky.
Yes, I saw your trailer did not have the little access door for the battery, like mine has. It was a real rotted out mess in my battery compartment, with corroded wires disconnected, going nowhere.
Looks like you have an openable front window, which mine doesn't have. Nice for ventilation, especially in CA. camping. The cover for this front window is typically called a window guard. My Compact came with the original one. Hopefully the guard is of a standard size so you can hunt one down from a used place. There is an RV 'wrecking yard' of sorts in inland CA probably not too far from you. Perhaps others recall where that place is. I can't remember.
In lieu of finding that part, you might be able to make a cover out of wood and/or fiberglass.

Photo of old battery box compartment:

Fran
Attached Thumbnails
IM003989.jpg  
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Denece, My CT13 has the battery under the back dinette seat, (in a battery box) and it has a small vent tube that goes from the battery box through the outside wall. Might also be an option if you need to vent
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Denece, My CT13 has the battery under the back dinette seat, (in a battery box) and it has a small vent tube that goes from the battery box through the outside wall. Might also be an option if you need to vent
Or if your battery requires venting!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote