New Compact Jr owner and rebuilder - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr.
Georgia
Registry
New Compact Jr owner and rebuilder

Hi, my name is John and I purchased a derelict 1972 compact Jr back in August of last year to renovate for me and my wife to enjoy. Basically gutted it and started over with minimal carpentry skills and made it into a fiberglass tent with a super queen size bed oriented longways instead of the usual layout. It had already been deprived of all interior galley and such, and I didn't want those items as I do all my cooking outside. Most of that space was converted to storage. I am excited about learning more about the glass campers from this site, Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF4867.jpg   DSCF4863.jpg  

DSCF4865.jpg   DSCF4890.jpg  

airculd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Cute !
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks great and I am sure the bed will be really comfy.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Great looking trailer. Nice re-build.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I am confused. Is your bed 60 inches wide or 72 inches? Longways IS the regular orientation of the bed in a Compact.

I like the spacious feeling, do you have photos with the bed folded out?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi John, welcome to FiberglassRV! Bobbie is correct, one thing that makes this rear-entry trailer unique is the very large bed! Great mods you've done to make it uniquely your own

Love the color, yellow makes me happy!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up Alright! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airculd17 View Post
Basically gutted it and started over with minimal carpentry skills...
Looks way more than minimal to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: compact jr
New York
I have a compact too and I see your little awning. Nice. How is that attached?
raddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Beautiful work! Love the paint job, it's so cute! Now get out and enjoy it!

And welcome, glad you joined us!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
Very nice! I hope you are enjoying it!
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #11

Georgia
Registry
Well, I didn't know that the bed was supposed to be longways. This trailer was basically a hollow shell except for a little homemade bed lying crossways that I thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Have never seen another compact Jr. The awning i bought on ebay and attaches with aluminum rails just as it would on a popup. The bed is actually 72 by 79 inches. You will also notice some previous owner removed the fridge and installed a window on the right side rear. That cause more than one redesign problem. Thanks for the info
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
John,
Way to GO!
Can you tell all of US Compact owners what you dd or where you went to get a NEW CANVAS & Screen windowed Pop-Up collar made??!!!!
Please don't tell me that a gutted trailer had a pristine pop-up canvas collar, 'cause mine "...sure as SHOOTIN' don't.."
I need to redo mine and am not sure where to go...other than to a high priced auto upholstery shop. I checked out the Volkswagon Van site, and they cost approx. $400 NEW....YIKES!!!!!!!!
BB
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #13

Georgia
Registry
BB, I regret to say the pop up canvas and the seat cushions represented approximately half of my entire investment in the restoration. The popup canvas cost appx. 600 bucks and the cushions another 500. I had them done at a marine upholstery place because they were the only ones who could make the windows and sew them in. At least that was the case in this area. I might have taken more time to find a shop with the same capabilities but I was pushed for time , couldn't wait to go camping in it ... I wanted to use an online bulk supplier but they would have had a rough time fitting it with just my dimensions. BTW when I got it the previous owners had installed screen wire in the popup opening, that would have been very interesting considering our first night out in it we had 2 inches of rain fall in about a half hour.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
John
Very good job, a nice clean design. I noticed in your picture that it looks like the pop up sides are inside of the ridge that rises up from the trailer, on all Jr's the pop up should be on the outside of this ridge to prevent rain water from coming into the trailer. I would hate to see all your hard work get water damaged. Enjoy your trailer and welcome to the Compact Jr Family. Its great when you see another one saved and used.
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #15

Georgia
Registry
Rick, It does appear to be on the inside because it is located above the wooden bolsters but it is actually on the outside and has survived a torrential rain without any leakage. Thanks , John
Old 05-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice Job!

Hi John,
Really like what you've done. The exterior looks great, too. I like the color sceme and black outline graphic- What paint did you use on the exterior?

Nice clean work on the inside, and you eliminated the kitchen clutter by cooking outside.

Did you have to do anything to the frame or front tongue area?

I'd be interested in ordering the awning set up you mentioned. Do you have the details on where you got it?

Enjoy it!

Fran
74 compactII
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #17

Georgia
Registry
Hi Francene, Thanks for the compliments, I am ashamed to admit I painted it with regular house paint and a brush and roller. I can spray paint fairly well but automotive paint has reached pricing levels that will put you in cardiac arrest. I also wanted to try my paint scheme with this method first to see how it looked in real life. , I may paint it with urethane later on. here is the link to the awning found on ebay. You will also need the rails for it, they are available from any online rv parts dealer.
COLEMAN BAG AWNING POP UP CAMPER AWNING 8' | eBay
The tongue had already been lowered by welding another similar size tongue on top of the old one which keeps the front end nice and low so the rv doesn't trap air and try to wig wag. It appears that someone also had braced the left side of the frame right where it goes under the fiberglass body by welding a plate the same size as the frame over it for a distance of about 10 inches. I try to limit my tongue weight to appx 100 lbs by the use of plastic containers which i can slide back and forth inside the camper when towing. , John
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
John, welcome! You will love this site! And I love what you did to your little trailer! Thank you for sharing your photos with us. Especially like the color scheme. Also noticed if you wanted to you (rainy day) could put your coleman stove inside on that nice counter top, and you have a big fridge! How luxurious. Enjoy your camping days.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #19

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I turned my bed sideways, since I am not so tall that it matters, and it is easier to get in and out that way. But lots of people like the big original bed. I like how open your interior looks.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #20

Name: Robin
Trailer: Compact Jr. 1971
Washington
I just bought a 1971 Compact Jr for $900. It needs some work. Has a crack in the front. I can fix fiberglass, no problem, but is water got in what is in there. Crack is on outside shell only. The bed looks big. Is there any specs out there?

Any pitfalls to look at before I go camping it next month?
scribeslave is offline   Reply With Quote