New Escape Future FTer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Christine
Trailer: Escape
California
New Escape Future FTer

Hello, 2021 is a big year for me. In May, I married my high school girlfriend after a 38-year hiatus. In July, we pick up our new Escape 21C in WA. In October, I retire after 22 years with the state of CA. Beyond that, we’ll rent out the house in the SF Bay Area and travel full time, open to adventure.

We’re new RVers, now planning our first trip to begin when we pick up the trailer. We’ll start with a reservation not too far from the pickup in Sumas. It was challenging to find available park sites, so we plan to stay at Harvest Host locations this round.

I’m looking forward to mostly dry camping in parks, some boondocking, and occasional full hookups in RV parks. It would be nice to attend rally’s and meet ups along the way.

Thanks in advance for info and advice. I hope to see you on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
03C11EC8-815F-45F3-BA73-F456C660424C.jpg  
Chris94901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome to both of you! Escape makes a very nice trailer. Are you planning to add any solar cells?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #3

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
Thumbs up

welcome...
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #4

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Hi, you two, congratulations on becoming free at last! If you really have no experience with RV camping, it might be wise to break in a little slower by using electric hookups in an RV park for a couple weeks. There’s a lot to take in, especially if you’re coping with power issues. Fellow campers will be happy to help, if frustration hits. Just backing into your parking slot takes practice.

We molded fiberglass camper owners are here to get you over the rough spots, answer questions, point out useful resources, and cheer you on. There are many helpful Facebook groups for RVing women and everybody else that can help you learn. Obviously, you’ve already done extensive research about molded fiberglass living to know to buy an Escape! Have fun, go slow, and welcome to our world!
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Welcome to both of you! Escape makes a very nice trailer. Are you planning to add any solar cells?
Hi David, We got the two 190 watt GoPower solar panels, Zamp port, 1500 watt inverter, and two 100ah batteries, and controller that Escape offered. Ultimately, we’d like to add two more panels on tracks that slide out from under the two existing roof mounted ones. It’ll be our full time home, so likely also be a journey of constant fine tuning and upgrades.

What type do you have, and what were the first changes you made?
Old 06-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Underwood View Post
welcome...
Thanks
Old 06-12-2021, 08:53 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Hi, you two, congratulations on becoming free at last! If you really have no experience with RV camping, it might be wise to break in a little slower by using electric hookups in an RV park for a couple weeks. There’s a lot to take in, especially if you’re coping with power issues. Fellow campers will be happy to help, if frustration hits. Just backing into your parking slot takes practice.

We molded fiberglass camper owners are here to get you over the rough spots, answer questions, point out useful resources, and cheer you on. There are many helpful Facebook groups for RVing women and everybody else that can help you learn. Obviously, you’ve already done extensive research about molded fiberglass living to know to buy an Escape! Have fun, go slow, and welcome to our world!
Thank you, Wendy, for your warm words of welcome and encouragement.

Rhonda has spent some time in her mother’s 40’ class A, and had a list of desires - two axles and no slide outs in a layout for a couple and weighing less than 5,000 lbs. My list included a kitchen I can enjoy, and an interior I can make into a home. We watched a tv show called RV Living, but most of the options were huge, heavy, and not my taste.

We first looked at Airstream, which I find very attractive, but they were heavy and expensive. Then we saw a one year old stick built that was already falling apart with screws tearing out of pressboard, dangling cupboard doors, etc.

I first learned about Escape on YouTube and an ambassador kindly showed us his 5 year old 21C. It was really nice, and he still liked it very much after years of traveling back and forth between Texas and Ontario. It had held up so well and felt like quality. Soooo, we put down a deposit.

I think the Olivers are very nice but too heavy for us. The Scamps and Casitas are nice, too, though a bit too small for us. I sound like Goldilocks.

We are diving in head first. It seems that this is a community of helpful people. Our first nights will be with full hookups. As you’ve suggested, I’m going to see if I can find something with full hookups for our second location as well.

Thanks again,
Old 06-13-2021, 07:08 AM   #8

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Welcome Chris!

I see you're already a Escape Trailer Owners Community member and now a member here. Between the two you should be able to find enough questions and answers to keep you busy for a while.

Unless you're energy hogs, the two 190 watt panels and two 100 ah lithium (?) batteries should work just fine. We have an Escape 5.0 with a single 170 watt panel that works great if in the sun. 1,000 watts on the roof does little if you're in the shade.

We also have a 100 watt portable that is needed on rare occasions. Before adding more panels on the roof I'd suggest to purchase a 100 watt portable and 30-50 ft of wire so you can reach sun when your camper is in the shade. Shade is guaranteed to happen! Our 100 watt portable has no problems keeping our batteries full because it can be angled and pointed perfectly to the south for maximum solar harvest.

We have 260 available amp hours of batteries and now don't have to scrimp on battery use anymore. Unless you plan on running your AC, your 200 ah's of lithiums should be more than plenty.

Which model Escape did you purchase?

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris94901 View Post
Hi David, We got the two 190 watt GoPower solar panels, Zamp port, 1500 watt inverter, and two 100ah batteries, and controller that Escape offered. Ultimately, we’d like to add two more panels on tracks that slide out from under the two existing roof mounted ones. It’ll be our full time home, so likely also be a journey of constant fine tuning and upgrades.

What type do you have, and what were the first changes you made?
I'm a big fan of the portable suitcase style panels. First, I tend to camp in the SHADE, so I can put the portable panels in the sun, and keep the camper in the shade.

Secondly, I have two campers. So the same portable panel serves both campers.

Third, I have no interest in putting additional holes in my two trailers.

Now I have the 100 watt Renogy suitcase panel. If I were to do it now, I would get a 200 watt suitcase instead. Panel costs have dropped since I got mine.

If I was FT, I would also invest in a better battery (lithium, several choices there, and pricing on batteries has steadily dropped too).

You are right IMO picking a compromise trailer. As you go up in size and features, you go up in weight too, and you can start that tow vehicle upgrade cycle. Years ago I had a nice, bigger fifth wheel trailer. RV salmon "assured me" I had more than enough truck to tow it......Thats when I learned to do my own research.

I started with a 1/2 ton pickup, totally inadequate. In the end I had a one ton dually. This time I wanted to stick with my 1/2 ton pickup, and the length was dictated by the lack of clearance I have in my yard to reach the storage area. So I ended up with an Escape 19. If not for the yard limitations, we would own a E21.

Depending on your cycle with replacing cars, a well built Escape should outlast your current car.

Another advantage of these smaller trailers is you can fit them in almost any campsite. As the size goes up, the available sites goes down, particularly in national and state parks. One unexpected advantage for me is the width of the Escape trailer. It is narrower than an Airstream or other typical trailers out there. As a result, my camper is the same width as my truck. So if my truck (with tow mirrors) can make it through a tight spot, then my trailer can make it too. A lot easier to maintain lane spacing on narrower roads with a trailer that is 6 1/2 feet wide than one that is 8 feet wide or even wider (some Airstreams are 8 1/2 feet wide).

Tip outs tend to be a future source of leaks and also can fail. Imagine being at a campsite and its time to leave but your slide outs won't retract. Or arrive at your next site and the slide outs won't extend. I'm on a RV restoration forum, and at least once a day I see a posting on slide out issues.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:47 PM   #10

California
Hi Perry, We’re getting a 21C. I think it’s a good option for us as I love to cook and it has the largest escape kitchen. There’s also a good bit of storage. We’re getting it without a fridge and adding a 12v one ourselves, so that’s the main driver of our power needs. We will look at adding a ground deployed panel(s) as you suggested. I’m very interested to see the mods people have done.
Thanks!
Old 06-21-2021, 08:59 PM   #11

California
Hey Thrifty Bill, I think parking in the shade and using portable panels makes a lot of sense. We will be in our current Honda Pilot for a couple of years, but we plan to keep the Escape longer than the car. Next will probably be another suv with greater towing capacity. I like the interior space for our pets - two cats and a dog.

One of the draws of the 21C is the opportunity to camp in state, provincial, and national parks. We definitely didn’t want anything over 24’.

My mother in law has a 40’ class A. She’s hesitant to take it anywhere because of the cost of gas. It’s cheaper to fly than to drive it. As a result, it sits in an RV park and seldom moves. The number one thing we wanted our trailer to be is used.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #12

California
Wendy, After some thought, we decided to get hookups for the bulk of our trip home. Thanks for making me think that through.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:32 PM   #13

California
����

Tags
escape