New, exploring possibilities, trailer virgin - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
New, exploring possibilities, trailer virgin

Hi, my name is Mike. I live in Louisiana. Love camping, long walks on the beach and puppies
Seriously, I love camping. I'm starting a search for a fiberglass camper my VW can pull. I would love an Eriba Puck, but I know they're hard to find in the US. So I've been looking around the site and see lots of great little campers that look like they will fit the bill. My problem is I'm a total newbie at pulling trailers, total weight, stopping and other things one may want to know a bit about before they attach to the vehicle and try to make it to the nearby National Forest.
I will peruse the site a bit more and probably ask some questions that have been answered a million times -sorry in advance.
My VW is a 1971 single cab with a freshly built 1776cc engine. The truck is rated a 1-ton. I don't know what that means in towing abilities,though.
I'm moving from a 1974 Westfalia to the truck so I can reduce my "herd" of vehicles.
Here's a pic of each vehicle (sorry for the blurry one). The truck actually has sides to the bed- they just aren't on yet.
Thanks for letting me pick your brains and possibly make a connection concerning a purchase!

itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Nice-looking SC. I have a blue one that I hope I live long enough to be able to get running for VW shows with our Uhaul.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #3

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Nice-looking SC. I have a blue one that I hope I live long enough to be able to get running for VW shows with our Uhaul.

CindyL
Sweet! There's not a whole bunch of them around anymore!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #4

Registry
Go to the Gallery and to the Uhauls. On something like the second page are two pix of Rick H's DC with his CT that he painted to match. Very cool setup!

CindyL
Old 06-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's one for sale in Texas. Looks like a good buy: Uhaul camper | Houston area, TX | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:09 AM   #6

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Here's one for sale in Texas. Looks like a good buy: Uhaul camper | Houston area, TX | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Thanks Donna!
It's been deleted <_<

I am still doing my homework on the pulling capabilities of my truck. I have another engine I may put in it. I sent Rick H a PM asking about his engine/tranny set up but he hasn't got back yet. I think if I REALLY want to, I could pull a 19' Scamp with a fifth wheel on the truck. I would dfinitely have to put in another engine, though.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Registry
Mike,

My hubby says we can't pull our VT Uhaul with our SC. He thinks the rear suspension, engine, and transmission could not handle this. He says to read up on the specs on everything. He says that if you are able to do it, tell us how you do it.

CindyL
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Mike,

My hubby says we can't pull our VT Uhaul with our SC. He thinks the rear suspension, engine, and transmission could not handle this. He says to read up on the specs on everything. He says that if you are able to do it, tell us how you do it.

CindyL
Hubby's prolly right about the transmission. There's a company (Ranchero- I think) that "beef's" up VW trannies for racing. If they can be worked to handle 300 HP. They can also pull a small trailer with no probs. M y friend has a VW camper similar to mine. He put a 2.8L Chevy engine in his.
After thinking awhile, I believe I want to stay with a 13' body.
Now, I have to go look up VT Uhaul!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

Registry
VTs are nearly impossible to find and larger than 13' if you want that. For 13', you want a CT. The one in TX looks nice. Rick H is pulling a CT. Can ' t remember if he said he did something to beef it up or not. Hubby says not to use a bumper tow bar.
CindyL
Old 06-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #10

Registry
Now that we are finally at a campground with wifi, here is our SC. And here is how we tow our Uhaul VT. We also have a '69 Autostickshift Beetle, and we had a '99 Beetle until a tree branch fell on it this week. I am now shopping for another New Beetle, as they are going to total it out. The old Beetle runs and it our daily driver when one of the others is getting fixed.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
uhauldubuque.jpg   Pickupbig.jpg  

Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #11

Louisiana
Registry
Sounds like you guys really like V !
Thanks to hubby for all advice!
I'll def do my homework before putting any money into something that doesn't work properly.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #12

Registry
Yes, we do. We go to the Effingham, IL show every year (except this year when we were stopped halfway there by the pending birth of a granddaughter). We found a show last weekend on our vacation, so we spent an hour or so there. We do have a trophy from our Eurovan with our previous camper, the Burro. We showed the setup in a show in WI.

CindyL