New fiberglass trailer dealers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2020, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Hope to buy a Scamp 16'er
Washington
New fiberglass trailer dealers?

What companies still make fiberglass trailers that are still in business.
And I really like the idea of two twin beds.
Thanks!
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:11 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I don't think any of the FGRV companies have gone under due to the pandemic. Obviously most manufacturing is temporarily closed but the websites are still up. Happy shopping!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

In business, or open for business?

Companies still in business include BIgfoot, Oliver, Escape, Scamp, Casita, and a number of smaller companies making mostly very small units. BIgfoot, Oliver, Escape, and Casita offer twin bed models. Quite a few others can have two separate beds by converting a dinette, just not conventional side-by-side twins.

Almost all are sold factory direct, not through dealers, and factories are mostly shut down, so I’m guessing new orders are on hold. Some of the... ahem... more technologically astute companies may still be able to respond to sales inquiries, answer questions, give quotes, maybe even take deposits... but I’m guessing deliveries will be backed up once this ends. On the plus side (for buyers) there could be some cancelled orders due to the economic fallout of the shutdown.

BIgfoot and Airstream Nest are exceptions. You might be able to work remotely through one of their dealers to purchase a unit during the shutdown. Pickup could be a problem.

Unless I had prior experience, I personally would not purchase or order a trailer without being able to see it (or one like it) in person, either at a dealer, a rally, or through manufacturer referral programs. That will have to wait.

It’s a good time to research and ask questions. People that would normally be out camping are at home and plugged into sites like this one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Armadillo
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Casita Independence has twin beds also.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:19 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Happier Camper is also still building trailers to some extent as the issue is not building shells but the ability to source parts which are beyond there’s or any other manufacturers control . Happier Camper also offers the ability of both the HC1 and HCT for separate beds.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #7

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Hope to buy a Scamp 16'er
Washington
Thanks all.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Just check actual dimensions. RV manufacturers tend to be pretty loose with terms, such as twin, double, big bed, or whatever. A standard residential twin is 39 inches wide. Most of the RV twins are narrower than that, some a lot narrower. Yet they still call them "twin".
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bigfoot 25' has a twin bed option, one I just love, but it is too big for my current liking, and a bit pricey too. The up and coming Escape 23 will offer them too, but will not be in production for a while now. Good 'ol Canadian built stuff at that too.

I know Escape is operating at a very slow production rate with reduced staff. I am headed out their Friday with my brother to pick up his new trailer. While they will install the WDH, there is no orientation and they very much insist on keeping a 2m distance between people. They are building up a fairly good stock of customer trailers due to many being unable to get them at this time. Even if you can get them, you can't do anything with them except some mods.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #10

Name: corvetteguy
Trailer: Casita
Virginia
Escape 5.0 twin bed option

I really like the twin bed option/mod for the 5.0 ta. (5th wheel) I think they are full size twins. I have been eyeing this camper for sometime but still working on how to get it back to Virginia. Delivery is so expensive.
garyhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #11

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Parkliner?

Is Parkliner still in business?
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhall View Post
I really like the twin bed option/mod for the 5.0 ta. (5th wheel) I think they are full size twins. I have been eyeing this camper for sometime but still working on how to get it back to Virginia. Delivery is so expensive.
Go pick one up once they open the border again.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:26 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Go pick one up once they open the border again.

Escape imports your trailer to the US ( all paperwork etc. ). You pick it up in Sumas, Wash.
The border is still open for commercial and trade business, which is what this is.

You just can't cross the border for orientation ( which has been suspended for now ).
Old 04-22-2020, 04:00 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Escape imports your trailer to the US ( all paperwork etc. ). You pick it up in Sumas, Wash.
The border is still open for commercial and trade business, which is what this is.

You just can't cross the border for orientation ( which has been suspended for now ).
I talked to the lady at Trailer World in Denver yesterday and for what it is worth she said the border is closed.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
I talked to the lady at Trailer World in Denver yesterday and for what it is worth she said the border is closed.

The border is closed to non-commercial travel. Thousands of trucks and trailers are crossing daily to maintain trade.
You cannot cross to go to ETI to look at trailers or for orientation, or to go camping.

From Canada Border Services website:

The continued global movement of goods and people and the ongoing delivery of essential services will be important for Canada's response to COVID-19.
Several categories of people are exempted from this order because they provide critical services, if they have no symptoms. These include people who:
  • are making necessary medical deliveries required for patient care, such as:
    • cells
    • organs
    • tissues
    • blood and blood products
    • other similar lifesaving human body parts
  • work in the trade and transportation sector who are important for the movement of goods and people, including:
    • truck drivers
    • crew on any plane, train or marine vessel
  • cross the border regularly to go to work, including in the health care sector or critical infrastructure workers
  • have to cross the border to provide or receive essential services, including emergency responders and personnel providing essential services to Canadians related to the COVID-19 outbreak
Old 04-22-2020, 05:47 PM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
I would not get border advice from someone in Denver, or North Carolina (me) either.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would not get border advice from someone in Denver, or North Carolina (me) either.

For anything governmental, I go to the source. For one thing, rules and regulations can change at any time, so you want up-to-date information. For another, people like to interpret what they've read and mostly get it wrong.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Trailer World Denver is a Bigfoot dealer, so I’m wondering if there has been an interruption in shipments to the dealer, perhaps attributed to the border closure when in fact the factory itself has slowed or suspended production temporarily. Just speculating...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:00 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Write or call the trailer manufacturer and ask them the question directly for how delivery across the border will be handled.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Escape is still doing trailer exports to the US at Sumas. No orientation, but they will still make sure your hitch is set up properly. This is a business transaction and not recreation at this point, so is acceptable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote