New form Newmarket, Ontario - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-14-2018, 06:05 AM   #1

Name: PCO6
Trailer: Cadet
Ontario
New form Newmarket, Ontario

I’ve been checking in on the Fibreglass RV forum for the last 6 months or so to learn what I can and can now report that I have finally purchased a trailer. It’s a 1987 Cadet “project” trailer.

It looks pretty good from the outside, but it has no interior. That’s fine with me as it gave me a good chance to see the condition of the fibreglass and apart from what appear to be some small holes that were drilled in it all is good. It also saved me a lot of work taking it out which is probably what I would have done any way. It seems to be complete. The side and rear windows look good. The front window is “flat” and badly yellowed so I’ll probably be replacing it. The frame is in great condition and it came with new wheels and tires. I towed just great on the 1.5 hr. back roads trip home behind my Jeep. It got a few funny looks but none from the police (… temporary lights but no licence plate).

I’ve done a fair amount of body work, including a bit of fibreglass, and painting over the years and I’m looking forward to getting into this. I’m currently finishing off an expedition trailer build (see link below). While doing that I’ll be making plans and acquiring what I need to get on with this one.

No doubt I’ll have a few questions along the way and I’m looking forward to being part of the community!

Cheers … Stew

My "new" Cadet

My current trailer project coming to completion (I "think") …
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...r-build.15306/
PCO6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:48 PM   #2
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Congratulations Stew! I'm sure you make many great memories with your Cadet!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 05:05 AM   #3

Ontario
Thanks JBB. I'm sure I will.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
I’ve been checking in on the Fibreglass RV forum for the last 6 months or so to learn what I can and can now report that I have finally purchased a trailer. It’s a 1987 Cadet “project” trailer.

It looks pretty good from the outside, but it has no interior. That’s fine with me as it gave me a good chance to see the condition of the fibreglass and apart from what appear to be some small holes that were drilled in it all is good. It also saved me a lot of work taking it out which is probably what I would have done any way. It seems to be complete. The side and rear windows look good. The front window is “flat” and badly yellowed so I’ll probably be replacing it. The frame is in great condition and it came with new wheels and tires. I towed just great on the 1.5 hr. back roads trip home behind my Jeep. It got a few funny looks but none from the police (… temporary lights but no licence plate).

I’ve done a fair amount of body work, including a bit of fibreglass, and painting over the years and I’m looking forward to getting into this. I’m currently finishing off an expedition trailer build (see link below). While doing that I’ll be making plans and acquiring what I need to get on with this one.

No doubt I’ll have a few questions along the way and I’m looking forward to being part of the community!

Cheers … Stew

My "new" Cadet …

My current trailer project coming to completion (I "think") …
https://www.overlandbound.com/forums...r-build.15306/
ouldn't it be nice to see someone in the NO start bring these nice little trailers back into Canada??
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Very impressive Stew; both, the original trailer project, and your projected plans to re-do the Cadet. Welcome to the 250 plus FGRV Ontarians that are currently active on this site. We all look forward to your future postings (perhaps on this site ?) of the progress on the Cadet - - from the 'Phrog in the Highlands'.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #6

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
ouldn't it be nice to see someone in the NO start bring these nice little trailers back into Canada??
Stude
I agree and I'm sure they would do well.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Very impressive Stew; both, the original trailer project, and your projected plans to re-do the Cadet. Welcome to the 250 plus FGRV Ontarians that are currently active on this site. We all look forward to your future postings (perhaps on this site ?) of the progress on the Cadet - - from the 'Phrog in the Highlands'.
Thanks! I just realized that my expedition trailer and fibreglass trailer have one thing in common. Neither has interior! lol I'm certain that this one will get one though.

I'll definitely post my progress on this site. First up is that I will likely remove the body to do a few things to the frame (install a 2" receiver tube and make some revisions to the hitch).

With 4 Jeeps and 3 trailers I have lots to do. The "original" trailer you refer to is actually the 3rd one that I've built. First was a now long gone one I built when I raced off road cars. The 2nd one is a utility trailer I built about 5 years ago. It's great for hauling home Jeep parts and for trips to Home Depot and the dump. No doubt it will come in handy with this build too.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Nice Looking camper Stew. Be sure to mark your 2019 calendar, On May 16 - 20, for the Spring fling in New England rally set in Chocorua NH.
It's will be our 3rd annual rally and going to be bigger and better.
Your host
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #9

Ontario
Thanks for the info Gerry. We usually go camping at that time of year and that would be a good place to do it.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:07 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
Thanks for the info Gerry. We usually go camping at that time of year and that would be a good place to do it.
Can not wait to see just how you set up the inside. I bet it will be great and people at the Spring Fling in New England Rally,love looking at all the neat ideas others come up with.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #11

Name: Barb
Ontario
Cadet

Hey Stew, just wanted to introduce myself as I'm another Cadet owner in Ontario! I'm Barb, and I'm in Barry's Bay (east side of Algonquin).
Barb in Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #12

Ontario
Hi Barb. We're going to be up your way in August when we'll be at Pog Lake in Algonquin Park. One of my Brother's has in-laws that are close to you over in Wilno.

Last summer we were at the Pinery. We took a trip up to Goderich. On the way we stopped in Bayfield and took a side road to see Lake Huron. We happened across another Cadet in someone's drive way. It's the only other one I've actually seen.

I'm picking up a new trailer tomorrow. It will be what we'll be using while I'm rebuilding the Cadet. Not totally fibreglass but at least the sides are! It's a Clipper Express 9.0TD (tear drop).