New from MN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
New from MN

Good morning all! I am new to the "egg" world and am currently eggless . We are converts from the world of pop-ups! Anyway...I have a few questions. Are the little 13' eggs big enough for two adults and two kids (4&8 currently)? I really like the idea of backing an egg up and camping...no prep, no muss, no fuss, but I worry that it may not be big enough...but I also worry the 16' may be bigger than I am comfortable towing. Also...how hard are they to cool in the summer? I figure a space heater would suffice for spring and winter, but wondered about the summer heat. Even if I find one with a furnace, I am not likely to use it as I am a little skittish about gas..... Anything special I should look for when looking at these? Have looked at a couple that seemed to be in pretty rough shape (one on the inside, one on the out).... How hard are they to modify? How can I tell if they have had leaks? Is floor rot an issue? How to I make sure the axle is fine? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Registry
If you get one without the bathroom it should have bunks for the kids that should be ok for them. You didn't mention what you are towing with. I have a 16' Casita w/o bath and I can safely pull it with my Chrysler Town & Country mini van. I got a weight distribution hitch too. I got the smallest WDH they had. The bigger ones are heavier too which you don't need. The 16' one has the bunks and you can also use the side dinette as a bunk but more important you can leave the big dinette as a bed and still at least have the side dinette table to use. You won't have that in a 13'. I wouldn't worry about the heater. They're efficient and safe. You can also add a battery operated carbon monoxide detector if you want extra safety. If the AC works ok it should do an adequate job. If you get an older unit & the AC isn't a roof model it can pretty easily be replaced with a higher capacity unit. Those are just your garden variety window unit. Mine is mounted under the bunks.
Walk around inside the unit. Is the floor solid? Spongy floors can be a sign of a rot problem. There can be some flexing. Check around the windows & roof vent for water streaks. Roof vents are not expensive or real hard to replace.
Where are you "shopping"? I see a few decent ones on Craig's list in Mn.
If the price looks too good to be true and no phone number and they want to ship it to you it likely is a scam.
Go to the check list on this web site and print a copy to take with you when you go to look at a camper.
Ebay also has a couple Scamps listed.
Good luck.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #3

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Welcome! I hope you find this website useful.

We have a 13' that we tow with our Honda minivan and we sleep with the two of us and two kids (11&14) in the camper. We really like the easier setup from the pop-up world when we are traveling place to place. If we are going somewhere for a week, then the extra room in the pop-up was nice. We actually owned a 13' Scamp and a pop-up for a year until we knew we could make the switch to only the 13' scamp.

We use the little ceramic heaters when it gets cold in spring/summer/fall.

They are not hard to cool because they are white and small. We put on 6000 miles to Southern CA, Utah, etc... and just turned the fan on before going to bed to draw the cooler night time air in. However, in MI with the humidity and hot weather we decided AC would be nice and I am installing it presently. Be aware that not all 13's can take AC on the roof (weight) and many of us instead put a window AC somewhere else in the trailer. Most people agree the small 5000 BTU window AC units are sufficient.

There are good checklists on what to look for when buying already on the forum. Water damage is one of the biggest things you look for. Remember to consider if you want brakes on the trailer. Many of us who have them would never own something without them, but it depends on your setup and how you will use the trailer. Let us know if you have questions.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #4

Name: mona
Trailer: Casita, 16 foot
Wisconsin
Wisconsin Casita 16'

Please send a message to indicate interest. 1990 1800# Casita has been beautifully restored( 2010) with light weight materials. Weight includes 2 propane tanks and 50 # battery.

This Casita has a full bed and bunks. The bunks can be converted to a long sitting area, with back rest. The full sized bed becomes your dining table during the day.

Bathroom has a new portable toilet, working shower and tiny sink.

My tow vehicle has been a 2005 Subaru Outback. Works well with a sway bar.

This is an unusual opportunity to buy a completely restored Casita @ great savings. Message sent from SE WI, YOUR NEXT DOOR NEIGHBOR.
mona simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
What ever you purchase, a 13 or 16, is not difficult to tow. Both size vehicles track very well. I personally would prefer a 16 because of the additional space. The 16s have an advantage in that they have trailer brakes; 13s can have trailer brakes but don't always.

Scamp 16s are typically lighter than Casita 16s, and all 13s lighter yet. Many vehicles can tow either. What do you have for a tow vehicle.

I suspect what ever you buy the kids will love it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Might Add

Just thought I might add that the frame has been reinforced, the plywood chip board floor has been removed and replaced with 5 ply marine plywood, and topped off with a good quality vinyl covering. Solid!

All interior wall covering and insulation has been removed and replaced with new insulation and wall board. Out with all mold, in with clean walls.

I have lots of photos to send...but need a mailing address, as I'm not familiar with how to send these photos on a computer.

I have receipts and descriptions of all work done. It was not an inexpenseive project. But...now I have the satisfaction of a job well done.

I used to Tent and Pop Up camp. This is SO much better.

This camper should be used more often than I can arrange...and so it goes to someone who needs an excellent vehicle.
Mona Simpson
Old 09-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I have read that one can probe the floor from underneath the trailer to look for spongy spots; all wood should be solid. For the axle, some say that if you can stick your fist vertically between the tire's top and the wheel well above, the axle is probably not sagging too much yet.

I would recommend some sort of add-a-room or awning outside your door, as it can be hard for 4 people to move in the trailer at one time (getting ready for bed, for example).
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kate, welcome to FiberglassRV! My suggestion is to download and ALWAYS take the Buyer's Checklist with you when you go to look at any brand of used molded trailer. If nothing else, it will remind you what things to check out.

Good luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #9

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
If you're close, even if you're not, come on over to Duluth next weekend for the egg fest. You'll learn a LOT! See: https://sites.google.com/site/eggfestduluth/
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #10

Minnesota
The egg fest sounds like a blast! However, we have plans for that weekend....thanks for the invite though...maybe next year....
Old 09-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #11

Minnesota
Oh...and for those that asked, my TV is a Trailblazer....I am not worried about it towing the weight, I am worried about me feeling comfortable towing the weight....
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Please bear in mind that campers go fast. If you see one you like, you need to pounce.

Personally, having owned both a 13' and a 16', I would go for the larger one. When our daughter is with us, even the 16' seems too small. You don't feel the camper unless going through mountains.

The bathroom of the 16' is great, especially at night.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:39 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Casita 1990 Redone

Eggless,

I have overspent to bring this fiberglass Casita to it's present state.
But...this 16' camper, length includes the 3 foot hitch, is ready for a family of 4 to use and enjoy.
That said, I have checked prices on other renovations. I have close to 15 invested and hope to sell for 10,800.
I've gone thru the Buyer's check list, and have had most of the items
replaced with new. Hot water heater, water pump, battery, wiring, plumbing lines, portapotty. The refrigerator has been used as an ice chest. Plans for replacing with a dorm style electric....(about $100)
have not been addressed.
All the work has been done by a company that rebuilds airplanes. The lightest weight and durable aluminum panels have replaced interior doors and cabinet doors. Exterior was primed and painted by an auto body company...it glistens!
simpsonmona@ymail.com