New from Navarre - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-21-2016, 06:46 AM   #1

Name: Larry
Trailer: Researching
Florida
New from Navarre

Not currently in the market, but started researching these after months of research on traditional trailers, of which I have owned 2 (Starcraft TT, Salem TH Fiver) both of which leaked after a few years and were trashed as a result. Considering what some of the "full time" traditional TT cost, and not wanting more expensive issues down the road, I'm happy to see an alternative. I really don't want to be dealing with disabled slides, leaking roofs, rotten floors, bad wiring, etc, in 5 years.

My wife and I both have disabilities, so our choices will be limited. If enough space is provided we will be retrofitting a walk in tub. We also like our personal space, so that limits our choices further. So far, I've narrowed down to two units.

The Bigfoot 25B25FB has a large enough shower to retrofit a compact tub. It seems well built, and is big enough for a couple to live in. A downside is it looks like a traditional RV inside, with ugly walls and bland fabrics, which is not great for a unit costing over $50k. However, the storage is immense, there is a separate bedroom, and it works like a traditional TT, which means less if a transition to actually use it full time. Another thing I don't like is the use of ST tires.

The other choice is an Oliver Legacy Elite II Standard. Though not nearly as spacious as the Bigfoot, we really like the construction and fit and finish; it looks like an expensive cabin cruiser using marine grade hardware throughout and exposed gelcoat inside rather than the tacky traditional RV wall finish, the way Bigfoot should finish theirs. Obviously, it has 7 less feet of living space, which means we have to get more creative to live in it. We also like the customization options, something no other manufacturer seems to do other than the really high end makers (Space Craft, New Horizons, etc). I also like the use of 16" LT tires.

The choice is difficult. Much like a traditional TT, there are compromises; unless I spend at least $95k for a custom Space Craft TT, there are no perfect units out there. I wish Oliver would build a true 25' floorplan similar to Bigfoot, then I would have the perfect trailer.
NWFL2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

Florida
Just received a quote from Oliver. I now understand why these are rare. Though they start at $49,900, if you fully option the Elite II, you're into the $70k mark with taxes and fees. I can only image what an additional $20k can do for us. I think the Bigfoot just moved to the top.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Larry!

The Oliver is a "double hull" design, meaning the interior is molded fiberglass, large left and right inner shells. I wonder if a walk-in tub retro-fit is practical or even possible. Furthermore, the bath is a wet bath. Would a sit-down shower suffice instead?

I hear you about the conventional interior in a Bigfoot, though by most accounts it is very well executed. Upholstery can be changed. I saw one that had deep red cushions against honey oak cabinetry and matching laminate flooring. I thought it looked really sharp.

Seeing both in person should help you decide. The Oliver factory is not far from you. I don't know if Bigfoot has a referral program to connect prospective buyers with local owners for a demo, but it would be worth asking.

Molded fiberglass trailers are not immune to leaks and floor rot, of course, but the lack of corner and edge seams gives you a huge running head start!

But you probably know all this- sounds like you are doing your research carefully. Best wishes in you decision and search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

Florida
I'm guessing if the window and roof seals are neglected than leaks can happen; however, glass trailers should have fewer issues in that area than even with Airstream.

I took Oliver off the list simply due to price. As for changing fabrics and other items, I cannot justify spending that much for a unit, only to plunk down more cash to make it what I want; that's one area Oliver excels at.

The Bigfoot also look like a good fit IF we can get a small enough walk-in tub to fit in the shower enclosure footprint (plan on pulling that). A tub really is needed, and campgrounds with hot tubs may not always be available. We also want to install a residential fridge at some point, and the BF has huge storage available that would fit that need. That's another area where Oliver shines; everything we want is factory fit, not an afterthought.

I love the look of the Oliver, and will look at the local unit sometime down the road.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:00 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You are putting in a walk-in tub? Not without paying for additional structural modification you won't. You are going to need to reinforce the framing in that area and also put in several supports underneath that go down to the ground when it is in use. The weight of the tub, the weight of the person in it and the weight of the water is very heavy and these light weight trailers were never designed for that kind of concentrated weight in a small foot print of area.

You are also up against another issue, that is having enough hot water to fill a bath tub. The on demand units that get installed in RVs might not produce a fast enough heat for that and the small propane tank water hears that are typically only a 6 gallon capacity can't do it either.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Hello there from another Floridian. We have bad backs and hips and if necessary sit down on a stool while running the hot shower. We also carry bodywipes, a leftover from "backpacker's shower" days. There's a way to get there from here. Have you considered a small inflatable pool outside the trailer? Do a Japanese style bath. Soap and rinse in shower, oull pn bathing suit and soak in pool?