New guy looking around - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
New guy looking around

Hi, I'm Bob. Retirement's in a couple of years, and I hope to spend a lot of it on extended trips, camped a few days at a time, mostly next to trout streams. I enjoy tent camping but don't think I'll want numerous episodes of set up and take down, and it seems like a light trailer is probably the way to go. So I'm here to garner lots of wisdom. And it seems that I've already gathered that if a 6'2" guy wants to stand up in his trailer, Lil Snoozy, Parkliner, Escape, EggCamper, Bigfoot, and newer Scamps need to be on the list (any others?). Fortunately, the first two are close enough to me that I can probably set up visits in the next few months, but nothing in the works right now.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Hi, I'm Bob. Retirement's in a couple of years, and I hope to spend a lot of it on extended trips, camped a few days at a time, mostly next to trout streams. I enjoy tent camping but don't think I'll want numerous episodes of set up and take down, and it seems like a light trailer is probably the way to go. So I'm here to garner lots of wisdom. And it seems that I've already gathered that if a 6'2" guy wants to stand up in his trailer, Lil Snoozy, Parkliner, Escape, EggCamper, Bigfoot, and newer Scamps need to be on the list (any others?). Fortunately, the first two are close enough to me that I can probably set up visits in the next few months, but nothing in the works right now.
Hi Bob,
Beat ya to it! I'm already retired, but it's not all it's cracked up to be. You'll still find yourself working, just not getting paid for it. (LOL.) I'm also 6'2" as well, and I can stand up straight, (without having to stoop like Quasimodo,) in my 17" SD Casita. But, be advised that only the 17' models have that headroom. The 13's and the 16"s are shorter vertically. Just another trailer option, (not mentioned above,) for your information.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:19 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Older Scamp 16s can be on your list as well. It's only the 13'ers that were redesigned for increased headroom after the factory fire in 2006. Scamp 16s have always been 6'2" or so, about the same as Casita 17s.

If I were tall and shopping for a trailer, I'd be giving attention to bed size as well. While you stand up in the trailer a few minutes a day, you will be sleeping for 8 hours a night or so.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Thanks Greg and Jon. Good info, and good point on the bed size. I have seen the bed size sticky in the Care and Feeding forum. And I've always heard people say that when they're retired they have less time, but I think they're just lingering over that second cup of coffee. Which sounds like a good thing.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
fishing Bon

Hey Bob. I live an hour north of Chattanooga. I camp and trout fish a lot over in Tellico Plains area of Tennessee. I am also 6' 2" and retired. I have a 1986 13 ft. Burro. I have no problems standing or sleeping in it. I have done some neat mods to it. I leave the bed made up. If its not too far for you to drive, You are welcome to drive up and take the grand tour . Its pretty up here now. Email me and I will give you my phone number. Joe. email; chiefonelung@yahoo.com
Old 10-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Not that you'll likely find an amerigo for sale (few and far between) BUT the older ones from the 70s only have 6' of headroom and that's not counting any vents or fans in the ceiling.

BEST!
Kai
Old 10-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
A Compact Jr has good headroom....

And it is small and light enough to nestle into a nice streamside campsite.

I think the bed is about 75 inches long in the seat sides but the central part of the bed could easily be jury-rigged into the north/south aisle to accommodate the tallest of NBA players.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Bigfoot sells through dealers in the US so you may want to contact them and ask where you can see one.

Also if you call/email Escape they will set you up with someone living near you to look at their trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote