New Guy (or Gal) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
LHO

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Shopping
Washington
New Guy (or Gal)

I am new. My interest is a small unit that will sleep 2 in Bunk Beds and two more in a converted dinette or other, with all the amenities. Indoor toilet and shower not required. Outside H&C shower OK. LED lighting. Hot H2O, refrigeration, Heat, and AC required. Generator a bonus. Insulated and heated fresh and waste tank available for below freezing temperatures. Bottom line: A small, easily towable, all weather, off road capable, travel trailer that is capable of being self sufficient for three days - or longer with power generation capabilities.

Does anyone on this forum have any comments, suggestions, and/or considerations to help me find my "bottom line"?

LHO
LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:59 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
First, welcome to the forum. In order to provide you with timely and pertinent advice it would help to know a bit about some other parameters, such as what type of vehicle you plan to tow with, are you planning on going up and down high mountain passes, are there two adults and two small kids, or two grown (big) teenagers, etc, since things like that will be big determining factors in the size of trailer you can safely tow and enjoy. As for having room for four, (and it's just my 2 cents,) you would probably want something like a 17 footer. Some have camped with smaller rigs with that many, but you, and only you, can determine what "creature comforts" and necessities you will require. You can't provide too much information if you want to get quality responses to your question. As far as being insulated, I think that requirement is pretty much a pipe dream with most of these small trailers unless you are looking to spend a big pile of money. Most all of the many and varied small fiberglass trailers out there will fit the bill for being road, (and off-road,) worthy, but some may be better suited to your plans than others. I'm sure others will be chiming in here soon. The more specifics of your needs you can provide, the better the answers you get will be. The old adage, GIGO is real here too. Happy camping.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:45 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Lynn, welcome to the forum!

As I was reading your description, it sounded exactly like one of the many 13' front bunk models out there with a few aftermarket modifications for off-grid use, such as a solar set-up and a lightweight portable generator. But when I got to the last requirement- heated and insulated holding tanks- I realized you're talking about an entirely different class of trailer.

Garden variety molded fiberglass trailers are lightly insulated on the walls and ceiling, none below (Escape offers optional spray foam underneath). Grey water tanks along with some of the plumbing hang down under the cabin. With care and a good furnace they can be used in situations in which the temperature dips below freezing- as long as it's not too far below or for too long. But they are not built for extended winter use.

Only two molded fiberglass manufacturers make true four-season trailers: Bigfoot and Oliver. Their smallest four-season trailers are significantly larger and heavier (and way more expensive) than the smaller eggs you seemed to be describing. You can click the links to their websites to see if that's what you had in mind. EDIT- the Oliver only sleeps 3

A helpful resource for newcomers is the sticky thread Trailer Weights in the Real World. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

I hope that helps clarify your options. Best wishes finding something that works for you!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote