New here with fiberglass truck camper I'm looking to identify! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #1

Name: j.
Trailer: Unknown fiberglass truck camper
Washington
Question New here with fiberglass truck camper I'm looking to identify!

Hey gang, new here and making the rounds to different forums in an attempt to identify the maker of an awesome and funky early 80's slide-in truck camper I salvaged as a rebuild project. Apparently, this thing is quite rare.

The serial plate has worn off, and I haven’t been able to find any other stamps. It has a Dometic RM190 gas electric fridge and a Wedgewood (Atwood) T212 3-burner stove, both from roughly 1982-84.

I can’t find anything like it out there on the internet! It’s not a clamshell 2-piece, but the top and sides are one piece, and the back is the second. Seems to have elements of campers built by Bigfoot, Northern Lite, Sport-Cam, possibly Bison, but it most closely resembles (in my mind) the Sunrader and Toyota Element mobile home bodies.

If anyone can shed some light on this mystery, I’ll be much obliged!

Btw, before anyone says anything – I know my tires are low and the dented bumper makes it look like the tail end is breaking, but my old weekend dump-run 1/2 ton hauled it’s mere 1K lbs home with ease after being ratchet strapped to the frame and bed. I will get Fast Guns when the build is complete, which will secure it to a new (old) F-250 7.3 PS turbo diesel 4×4.

Thanks!

j
Attached Thumbnails
camper_ext1.jpg   camper_int1.jpg  

Cascadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadence View Post
Hey gang, new here and making the rounds to different forums in an attempt to identify the maker of an awesome and funky early 80's slide-in truck camper I salvaged as a rebuild project. Apparently, this thing is quite rare.

The serial plate has worn off, and I haven’t been able to find any other stamps. It has a Dometic RM190 gas electric fridge and a Wedgewood (Atwood) T212 3-burner stove, both from roughly 1982-84.

I can’t find anything like it out there on the internet! It’s not a clamshell 2-piece, but the top and sides are one piece, and the back is the second. Seems to have elements of campers built by Bigfoot, Northern Lite, Sport-Cam, possibly Bison, but it most closely resembles (in my mind) the Sunrader and Toyota Element mobile home bodies.

If anyone can shed some light on this mystery, I’ll be much obliged!

Btw, before anyone says anything – I know my tires are low and the dented bumper makes it look like the tail end is breaking, but my old weekend dump-run 1/2 ton hauled it’s mere 1K lbs home with ease after being ratchet strapped to the frame and bed. I will get Fast Guns when the build is complete, which will secure it to a new (old) F-250 7.3 PS turbo diesel 4×4.

Thanks!

j

Very cool
I’m sure someone will chime in w/info
My guess an old big foot
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Very cool
I’m sure someone will chime in w/info
My guess an old big foot

I must be going blind.

There are so many stickers on this camper that I somehow overlooked the glaringly obvious giant shield on the back that says "U.S. Cruiser" on it. The insignia is even part of the fiberglass mold!

To be fair to myself, my buddy didn't notice it either.

BUT ... I still cannot find anything on the internet regarding a camper manufacturer or truck camper model called "U.S. Cruiser". I'm mystified.

If anyone has any more info, please hit me up!
Attached Thumbnails
US Cruiser.jpg  
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Boat name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadence View Post
BUT ... I still cannot find anything on the internet regarding a camper manufacturer or truck camper model called "U.S. Cruiser". I'm mystified.If anyone has any more info, please hit me up!

Brunswick once had a company in TN called "U.S. Cruiser". But that was boats.
I have found a few links that mention "U.S. Cruiser" but they are dead. They do look like a second company by that name may have been in the north west US>
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:20 AM   #5

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Too bad the pics are all thumbnail in size, hard to see details. Looks like it will become a great slide in camper if renovated. How is the roof, any issues with tie down points, fiberglass at the corners, etc. I realize at this time you are only asking for identification, but hopefully you will share, and take more pics, as this project progresses. It looks like a well built slide in.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Great find!

Being born and raised in Seattle, I love the R (Rainier Beer) decal above the driver’s door.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #7

Washington
Update #2:

Further sleuthing has led me to the OpenCorporates database listing for U.S. Cruiser Manufacturing, Inc., 145 Smith St., Harrisburg, OR 97446. U.S. Cruiser was incorporated in 1985 by Victor Evoniuk, and lists Richard Evoniuk as President, with Wilma Evoniuk as an additional agent. The company was dissolved in 2003, and it appears Victor passed in 2006 at the age of 82, but Wilma appears to be alive at 96 years old, exactly how old Vic would be if he were alive today (if I have all this correct).

Now, there are listings on a couple other business registry websites showing this same U.S. Cruiser Manufacturing, Inc. listed as a boat builder, so perhaps Victor started out fabricating fiberglass boats with his son Richard, and decided to try their hand at building a camper. If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if they only built the one!

There are a couple of Richard Evoniuks that appear online - one handsome, happy-looking, motorcycle-riding chap in his 60s who appears to be a carpenter from Oregon with a Facebook account and maybe Linkedin listing, and another who I believe is currently out on parole after serving 16 years of a 30-year sentence for sex crimes in Minnesota. God I hope like hell the guy who build my camper is the friendly-looking guy and not the rapist.

In any case, I don't have a Facebook account and don't know anyone who does. I've always been anti-Facebook, and have vowed NEVER to use the platform, but if there is anyone out there who does and might be willing to reach out to Richard to point him in the direction of my posts about the camper, maybe he'll respond here! His account is the first Google search result for "richard evoniuk" facebook.

I sure would like to know the story of old Victor, Richard, and U.S. Cruiser, find out who exactly designed and built the camper, if others were made, and anything else I can learn.

Side note - I took a look at the property listed in their incorporation records on Google street view, and that sure looks like the place where my camper was probably built - pretty cool! There is also a VFW hall directly across the street, which I'm guessing has been there since at least the 50's, and folks who may have frequented that lodge may know all kinds of things about what went on across the street 18-35 years ago, so that may be an avenue to explore if I can't get in touch with anyone from the Evoniuk clan.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #8

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Great find!

Being born and raised in Seattle, I love the R (Rainier Beer) decal above the driver’s door.

I'm in Seattle too, Doug. Picked up the camper in Tacoma!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 PM   #9

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Brunswick once had a company in TN called "U.S. Cruiser". But that was boats.
I have found a few links that mention "U.S. Cruiser" but they are dead. They do look like a second company by that name may have been in the north west US>

It appears that U.S. Cruiser Manufacturing, Inc. out of Harrisburg, OR incorporated as a boat builder...and I guess they made at least one camper that we know about!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Too bad the pics are all thumbnail in size, hard to see details. Looks like it will become a great slide in camper if renovated. How is the roof, any issues with tie down points, fiberglass at the corners, etc. I realize at this time you are only asking for identification, but hopefully you will share, and take more pics, as this project progresses. It looks like a well built slide in.

If anyone wants to see higher res pics, please let me know.

The fiberglass shell seems to be fully intact and not leaking topside, but there is at least one leak that I noticed coming from next to the propane hatch at the rear wall. Kinda moot because the entire box/frame is being rebuilt as the shell is removed, repaired, and refinished anyway...there will be no leaks, better jacks, and proper tie-downs.

Speaking of the jacks - they look like they're pretty shoddily welded on to the brackets that connect to the frame, and can't be sure they're original. The jacks themselves seem good, but those welds will have to be fixed.
Old 11-27-2020, 12:40 PM   #11

Washington
Update 3

A kind user from another forum has reached out to who appears to be the son of the owner of U.S. Cruiser through Facebook for me. Will update again if we get a reply!
Old 11-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #12

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes, please be sure to update. This is like investigative journalism!