New Here with Hybrid-Fiberglass-Aluminum 1970 Eriba Puck! - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2021, 04:52 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1970 Eriba Puck
California
New Here with Hybrid-Fiberglass-Aluminum 1970 Eriba Puck!

Hi All -

I joined here in order to get support for the Fiberglass portion of our Hybrid Fiberglass/Aluminum - or Half-Fiberglass - 1970 Eriba Puck vintage travel trailer. It's moulded roof & pop-top sections are the same, & with the same care & renovation/resto/repair issues, as the rest of your full moulded fiberglass body trailers. I have a couple of scratches in the gelcoat/paint surface that I'll want to touch-up. So later on I'll post some how-to & help topics' questions, but after I can first see what's already posted on here.

I'm also a member of your sister forums group AirForums for Airstreams - for our "Vintage Kin" 1960 Avion T20 Aluminum "Silver Twinkie" - and I can get help on the Aluminum skins portion of our Puck on there & TheSamba.com's Puck Topic. I put a pic of our Avion with our original owner & nearly-classic-car 1988 VW Westfalia CamperGL Van (see pics below) - which also has a moulded fiberglass pop-top & roof luggage rack - so also will get fiberglass tips on here for it as well.

I did see that you listed an Avion group under your Legacy Brands list, but AFAIK they never built an all molded fiberglass trailer either - even in the later Fleetwood years, although they too had a moulded fiberglass roof with sheet aluminum &/or fiberglass side & end wall sections after they abandoned the silver aluminum bodied Avions.

However, I can't find Hymer, Eriba, Roadtrek nor Thor-Hymer Fiberglass (FG) trailers on here - even though after Thor bought Hymer-Eriba & Roadtrek - they did produce & sell their Eriba Touring GT all fiberglass trailer in Canada 2018-19, before shutting down that Ontario plant - rumored to be because Thor didn't want it to compete with their upcoming Airstream Nest in the same market segment - which should also be listed here as a current production fully moulded Fiberglass trailer.

https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/nest/

https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...stream-nest-1/

There are full FG Hymer Touring GTs trading & in use out there - so you should probably add those makers to your Manufacturers list - for the short lived all FG Hymer Touring GT - as well as for the other Hybrid FG-Aluminum Eriba/Hymer-Eriba models.

https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...er-touring-gt/

https://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2...he-touring-gt/

Hymer-Eriba still makes & sells the larger Touring & other Eriba Puck generated travel trailers in Europe, UK, Commonwealth & other world markets - many of which have found there way to the USA & Canada of their 1950s to date travel trailers.

https://www.eriba.com/en/models/cara...a-touring.html

There is also the reverse-engineered-Puck based "Meerkat" trailer still being made in San Diego by Little Guy Trailers (who also sell the Tag & Tab & other small hybrid FG-Aluminum trailers).

https://littleguytrailers.com/trailers/meerkat/

I'm new to this FiberglassRV Forums, with a Legacy or "Vintage Triler/RV" Hybrid Fiberglass-Aluminum 1970 Eriba Puck - which has a Molded Fiberglass Roof & Pop-Top Sections, & Aluminum Sidewalls - that we purchased from the +/- 4th or 5th owner in October 2018.

You'll note in the photos below, that the USA Export Pucks (from Germany & later France) have the same era USA appliances, lights & electrical as used in your Boler, Scamp, Trillium & other USA/Canada moulded FG trailers of the 1960s-70s, and in the small "Canned Ham" trailers like Shasta & the other contemporaneous brands here - because they shipped them incomplete from their main factory, & then finished them out in their USA factory in SoCal (Hawthorne, & another) with items which would be easily serviced, repaired & replaced here buy USA/Canadian owners.

It's a time capsule at about 80-90% all original, and we're trying to keep it that way with only repairs/renovation, touch-ups & wear items replacement (e.g.: new tires).

The prior owner that we bought it from had replaced the pop-top sides-tent, reupholstered the seat cushions, replaced the outer curtains after a hand wash disintegrated the originals, upgraded some of the electrical systems, added a for-fit Sisal floor mat (leaving the other PO's carpet tile adhesive for me to clean-up ;-), replaced some of the exterior walls' joint strips' red vinyl cover strips, & added some other items.

While prior owners (PO) had replaced the tires & wheels (8in to 10 in diameter upgrade to factory option size), replaced the LP tank & lines and reconditioned the stove burners & repainted the inside of the stove-top, replaced the missing water tank with a generic jug, etc. This Puck was one of the earliest in TheSamba's Puck Topic with a prior owner (3 POs ago) back in 2009.

For Puck history - Eriba designed their tiny 660 lb Puck model 70+/- years ago, back in the early 1950's in partnership with VW to be towable by VW's then 1000cc 25 HP Bugs/Buses etc. & other small Euro/UK cars. The Eriba line eventually expanded to several larger models - all with the hybrid aluminum walls & FG roof/pop-top design.

Hymer later bought Eriba & still markets the Touring Model - which is about the same size as their original 1960's era "Familia" model in the chart above.

We can't wait until it's COVID safe again for us to go out camping with our vintage trailer buddies & family!

The attachment photo below is from the 2019 Ocean Mesa Vintage Trailer Rally north of Santa Barbara, above El Capitan State Beach & Campground, for those familiar with that section of coastline.

Cheers! :beer2:

Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
20190316_131545.jpg  
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:44 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome!, Tom! That’s a nice collection of vintage RVs.

We have a number of Eriba owners here, so you’ll have some good company.. One of the more recent was a fresh import, so we got to witness the electrical conversion. We also have several Touring GT owners. That was a sad deal with Hymer/Roadtrek- we also own a hand-me-down Roadtrek- but the Touring GT had some issues and probably wasn’t a good fit for the NA market anyway. There are a number of old threads.

I haven’t looked at the manufacturers list recently, but I don’t recall seeing Avion. In any case, that list is out of date and not being updated. Your best tool to find information is the “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu. You’ll find discussion threads on pretty every molded trailer out there, past, present, and future, along with quite a few not-molded-but-similar products like the Eribas. There’s very little that gets past this group!

The designer of the Nest is a longtime member and posted a lengthy thread on the construction of the original prototype. It was quite innovative, with a monocoque chassis, but the design was dumbed down (and porked up) by Airstream. Speaking of which...

As a collector of small RVs, you might enjoy this one, a 1951 Airstream Cruisette. Not mine, just happened to see it yesterday.. Of course, here it’s just an SOB...
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...278929616.html
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6C07442-7EF4-41C7-BA66-1A795E05C29B.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	139520
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFD14046-25B4-456D-9052-E3F935048284.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	139521
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:07 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
Tom T, and everyone else, There is a Cajun Camping Rally in San Dimas , CA March 25 - 28th. It is put on by Vintage Camper Trailers magazine and looks to be a great Rally. Any of your vintage trailers would fit in , and I am hoping to be there with my Scamp or my Compact Jr. Areas for modern trailers and tents too. Google Cajun Rally. David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome!, Tom! That’s a nice collection of vintage RVs.

We have a number of Eriba owners here, so you’ll have some good company.. One of the more recent was a fresh import, so we got to witness the electrical conversion. We also have several Touring GT owners. That was a sad deal with Hymer/Roadtrek- we also own a hand-me-down Roadtrek- but the Touring GT had some issues and probably wasn’t a good fit for the NA market anyway. There are a number of old threads.

I haven’t looked at the manufacturers list recently, but I don’t recall seeing Avion. In any case, that list is out of date and not being updated. Your best tool to find information is the “site search/google” option at the bottom of the search menu. You’ll find discussion threads on pretty every molded trailer out there, past, present, and future, along with quite a few not-molded-but-similar products like the Eribas. There’s very little that gets past this group!

The designer of the Nest is a longtime member and posted a lengthy thread on the construction of the original prototype. It was quite innovative, with a monocoque chassis, but the design was dumbed down (and porked up) by Airstream. Speaking of which...

As a collector of small RVs, you might enjoy this one, a 1951 Airstream Cruisette. Not mine, just happened to see it yesterday.. Of course, here it’s just an SOB...
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/r...278929616.html
Attachment 139520
Attachment 139521

Thanx Jon!

But I gave my wife orders that the Puck is the last trailer, and it's paid for itself during 2019 in savings on the Enterprise Truck Rental fees for the Avion that year, while we showed off the "new" Puck.

We have a couple of vintage Trailerite buddies/couples that we know with similar AS Cruisettes that we see/saw at all of the Vintage Rallies. Theirs are great little functional & cute trailers.

BTW - all of the newer Airstreams since Thor bought them are "porked up" - compared to the pre-mid-1990s versions - mostly due to switching to heavier materials and components, notably including: glue heavy OSB & particleboard/ - from lightweight marine plywood in the sub-floors & cabinetry/etc.; larger holding tanks (Water, Grey, Black & LP); etc.

It is not due to more conveniences & TV etc. as Airstream & their dealers try to tell buyers, because our 21'-6" L 1960 Avion T20 has all of that except Grey tanks (soon to be added), and is still only 3000-3500 lbs wet & loaded, and was 2680 lbs dry/empty & base model per the factory specs.

By comparison, when we looked at a new 2012 Airstream 19' Sport - it was a foot shorter, had all the same features & the black tank, but was 4500+/- lbs base/dry/empty - almost twice the Avion. The same is true for vintage Airstreams and the other "Silver Twinkie" vintage kin trailers - at 2-3000+ lbs lighter in comparable new AS sizes.

It would be nice to add an Eriba Group in any case, as well as to keep those maker lists up to date .... hint, hint Admins.

I did join the Avion Group on here due to our Puck's big sister, but am at a loss as to what group to join for Pucks.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
Old 02-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Tom T, and everyone else, There is a Cajun Camping Rally in San Dimas , CA March 25 - 28th. It is put on by Vintage Camper Trailers magazine and looks to be a great Rally. Any of your vintage trailers would fit in , and I am hoping to be there with my Scamp or my Compact Jr. Areas for modern trailers and tents too. Google Cajun Rally. David in Fresno and Sonora

Thanx David,

We've heard good things about that Cajun Rally & had always enjoyed the food & music at the Long Beach Cajun Festival - but that's too soon for both of us to have both COVID shots & the 14 days after the 2nd to take effect. Maybe 2022?

We had planned to start going to that one & more other vintage rallies after my wife retired as a hospital RN back in January 2019 - but my schedule in 2019 interfered, & now COVID 2020-21 have put us out of the Vintage Rally circuit for a while.

We may do a late April vintage small group camp-out in late April, and the big Pismo Rally in mid-May - assuming that we actually get both of our shots for both of us as scheduled, but vaccine supply may interfere with that plan too.

As most of you probably know, being 68 & 73 with other health risks does NOT guarantee that you'll actually "get the jab" as the Brits say!

We still have many 70, 80, 90 & 100+ year olds, Medical Staff & 1st Responders, etc. in SoCal & around all 50 States + Territories without shots.

It will just take time to get everyone done.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
Old 02-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #6

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
That is quite a history!
We too have had VW vans for many years, None with the pop top, two were camper vans, 1969, and 1971. then a '79 Champaign Ed.
And three, water cooled Vanagons, the last was a white 1991.
We towed a 13 ft Scamp. Nice combination.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #7

California
The photo below was with both our 1970 Puck & 1988 VW Westy at the big May 2019 Pismo Vintage Trailer Rally (315+ vintage trailers/RVs etc.).

2020 was cancelled, & we're skipping 2021 next month, but have we do already have our Rez for 2022 - but not sure which vintage trailer we'll bring - 1970 Puck or 1960 Avion T20 that is in the Newport Dunes Vintage Rally photo that I'd posted before at my #1 OP above.

Look for us there & say Hi!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
Old 04-07-2021, 06:01 PM   #8

California
Our Lil' Puck even has a +/- 2" Square Rear Bumper Stowage for the 2" Sink Waste Water Drain Line, which unfortunately the line is long gone, & I'm not yet having any luck finding a replacement of the original type.

Stows here behind the trailer - just like it's bigger siblings!

And the 2" diameter Drain Hose would screw onto this sink drain pipe underneath - where the OE factory cap with retainer strap is still on there.

These Export Pucks were built in Germany up to 1970, then Eriba moved the plant to France after a fire in the first plant - & they were then shipped to the USA in unfinished inside form (see attached pic below) - where they were completed in a SoCal Plant (El Segundo for ours AFAIK) with the same USA appliances & LP, 12V & 120V Electrical systems & fixtures as were used in the contemporary Scamp, Boler, Trillium & other FG Trailers, and Shasta & other "Canned Ham" trailers of that era.

That's why the interior photos in my OP #1 & the attached Galley Pic below look like the contemporary stove, sink, icebox, lights, outlets, etc. - as were used in those other contemporary 1960s-70s trailers.
Cheers!
Tom
///////
Attached Thumbnails
8564 (2).jpeg   1960s early Puck, Fawn, Familia original brochure 858356.jpg  

Old 04-08-2021, 08:02 PM   #9

Name: Stefan
Trailer: Hymer
Pennsylvania
These pictures of a Puck make me nostalgic. Used to own an Eriba Pan (vintage 1964), the next size up from the Puck, back in the old country. Towed it with a 66hp Opel Rekord sw. Now its a Touring GT which we got last fall and took out for a first trip from Pittsburgh to the Chesapeake Bay and Shenandoah two weeks ago. It was a first experimental trip towing with a Model X. Energy usage was between 500 and 600 Wh/mile. Looks like we should be able to plan for 150 mile charge stops without too much range anxiety. The shape and reduced frontal area of the trailer sure seems to help.

When charging, we are looking for the newer Superchargers that have at least one "trailer-friendly" charger.
/Users/sfrembgen/Desktop/IMG_6830.jpeg
EribaFan is offline   Reply With Quote