New here with two trillium 1300 s - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Newfoundland and Labrador
New here with two trillium 1300 s

Hi guys,
So in the last month I picked up a 73 and a 75 trillium 1300. The 73 is not too bad, good frame and hubs etc... But the interior is lacking and needs attention.
The 75s frame was gone and we just took it off today and are going to a shop to have another made. Is there and diagrams with measurements for bolt holes and the such for helping with building a 1300 frame? Would be greatly appreciated.
The 73 is attached to the truck and the 75 is all in pieces on the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
20180806_112756_HDR.jpg   IMG_20180803_122716_381.jpg  

DiBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. Two Trilliums, that's pretty good though not the record. There's a couple folks around here with four or five .

Are the bolt holes through the frame? If so, that has been shown to weaken the frame. My 2010 has angle iron tabs welded to the side of the frame. Also gusset plates at the bends are recommended as those also have been failure points. Enjoy your project.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiBo View Post
Hi guys,
So in the last month I picked up a 73 and a 75 trillium 1300. The 73 is not too bad, good frame and hubs etc... But the interior is lacking and needs attention.
The 75s frame was gone and we just took it off today and are going to a shop to have another made. Is there and diagrams with measurements for bolt holes and the such for helping with building a 1300 frame? Would be greatly appreciated.
The 73 is attached to the truck and the 75 is all in pieces on the pictures.
ould be nice if I did not have to stand on my head to see the one picture.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses. I have the frame gone out now to have a brand new one made from scratch with thicker walled tube. I just hope the old axle is still ok.

I have another question though. Does anyone notice that the countertop is tilted slightly down toward the wall. It's like it on both of ours and I have noticed it on other pictures. Is this a thing or is it fixable? What's the deal.

Anywhoo here's a couple gross pictures.

Don't know why they are going upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
20180806_125912.jpg   20180806_125907.jpg  

20180724_143142.jpg  
Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #5

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
two trillium 1300s

Hi I just wanted to say adding the angle iron pieces to the frame is a great idea to attach the body. Check your body first to determine which side of the rails the clip angles should go on. I see your old frame is rusted badly where the bolts passed through the rails originally. No chance for water to escape at all ,thus the rust out. My Trillium frame was solid and I used the factory holes with stainless bolts . I wish now I had added the angle iron clips too. I just didn't think to do that modification. Good luck with your project and happy camping ! Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:23 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Hi, I'm one of those with five Trilliums, (down from six). Your frame is rough.
Also, the furnace does not look original. Another observation, it looks like a previous owner put in a stove vent.

I think all the 1300's have a kitchen counter that slopes towards the wall. The 4500's less so.

It would appear that your frame rusted out right where the bolts would have gone through it. Putting holes in the frame was something that Trillium eventually stopped doing. As mentioned previously, they welded small angle iron stubs to the frame and drilled through those instead. Also they welded fish plates at the bend. Being nearly center, between the coupler and the axle, that is a high stress point. I have done some drawings of a 4500 frame. See attached. These were posted in this thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...m-49133-3.html

There are five items to check on all Trilliums:
1) The axle. Yours is probably not worth saving. If it is the original, then it's 43 years old. They age. After several years the rubber gets very hard and the axle no longer has any travel, or the rubber disintegrates and the axle sags. Get a new one, with brakes.
2) The door. The quick and dirty fix for door sag is to pull the door off, but leave the hinges attached to the door. Fill the screw holes with resin, and glass, tape the door back in place and use the holes on the hinges to drill new mounting holes. This is at best a temporary fix. This thread shows the best fix I have yet seen:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...air-86366.html
3) The belly band. I see that the belly band has fallen off your 75. This is a complex repair:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-58763.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-59580.html
4) The frame bolts. They always rust out. Some disintegrate completely.
5) The windows. The butyl tape gets old and the seal is compromised. You pull the windows and install new butyl tape. This is actually kind of easy, unless you also have to replace the plywood frames on the inside:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ead-65342.html

Clearly, you have some work ahead of you. But it is worth it. The resale value of these trailers is quite high, and they are very practical.

Please take a minute to confirm the manufacture dates of your trailers. I see that your 73 has a serial number / manufacture date sticker on the front, just above the red sticker. You can also compare the serial number of your 75 to this list:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post680419
Please feel free to post your serial numbers, so I can add your trailers to the list. The sticker on your 73 is of great interest. That is a good way to calibrate the list.
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium 4500 - Frame - ISO 01.jpg   Trillium 4500 - Frame - Fish Plate.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

[QUOTE=David Tilston;[/QUOTE]

Wow man thanks for the great response.

I just got my new frame made. Brand new with the original axles. That old rust bucket is no more.
It is made longer though, going to be a cargo carrier on the front.

As for the belly, going to glass it over before the paint and just delete it.

Thanks for the info for the door and windows, I will definitely check it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Resized_20180829_171035_2579.jpg   Resized_20180829_171028_676.jpg  

Tags
trillium