New in town! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: In the market for used
Michigan
New in town!

Hi! We are in retirement mode and looking to camp across the US in a tiny camper. We have always flown and missed much along the way. We just need a place to lay our weary heads and keep a couple beers cold. Message me if you have something for sale and maybe we can work something out. We are Michigan based but will consider traveling for the right deal.
Thanks!
~dtwdawn
Dtwdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why don't you add a bit more information so you can improve your chances of finding what will fit your needs. Maybe these q's:

1. What age and condition can you accept. ? There is everything out there from basket cases to turnkeys and they range in age from about 45 y.o. to new.

2. How far can you travel to look/buy? These aren't found on every street corner

3. What will you be towing with? Some of even the 13'er's can get a bit heavy.

4. What is your approximate budget? FGRV's tend to hold their value exceptionally well and older often does not mean a much lower price than new.

FWIW: Right now is the peak pricing season, especially for ready-to-go units. If you are planning for future use, price will start going down after summer.

Good Luck in your hunt.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

Michigan
Red face Ok, I will...

Thanks for the suggestions. They are good ideas.First, the condition...I prefer used with a solid exterior. Interior not so important, we like "projects" everything will be considered right down to gutted.
I am not sure how far to travel. I guess it depends what is out there. I see they are not easily available. I guess maybe Midwest, northeast states
We are pulling with a Ford F150.
As for budget, I am looking for a balance of economy with consideration of condition. I am trying to get an idea of what to expect.
We haVe pulled a full size toy hauler with our diesel. We like the flexibility of a smaller, kinder & gentler camper. We no longer own the diesel truck and don't want much. I mostly don't want to tent it as my husband does!
We are in no hurry. We have at least 18 months before the "big" one so we have time to look and time for renovations, if necessary.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwdawn View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. They are good ideas.First, the condition...I prefer used with a solid exterior. Interior not so important, we like "projects" everything will be considered right down to gutted.
I am not sure how far to travel. I guess it depends what is out there. I see they are not easily available. I guess maybe Midwest, northeast states
We are pulling with a Ford F150.
As for budget, I am looking for a balance of economy with consideration of condition. I am trying to get an idea of what to expect.
We haVe pulled a full size toy hauler with our diesel. We like the flexibility of a smaller, kinder & gentler camper. We no longer own the diesel truck and don't want much. I mostly don't want to tent it as my husband does!
We are in no hurry. We have at least 18 months before the "big" one so we have time to look and time for renovations, if necessary.

Dawn, if you haven't done so, you should start reading this section: Fulltiming in a Molded Fiberglass Trailer - Fiberglass RV about the RV full timers.
What you've described (solid exterior, interior not so important) pretty much describes all but the worst used eggs for sale. So you haven't really narrowed down what you are looking for... 13footer? 16footer? larger? ac or max fan? I suggest that you start checking out the fg railers for sale, which will have photos of exteriors and interiors: For Sale: Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers - Fiberglass RV
You will find a lot of your answers by exploring around the forums in this site, Happy Hunting!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Michigan
Red face Thanks!

I see we have much to learn before deciding. Not planning to full time, just an extended cross country drive-by. I am secretly on a quest to visit as many national parks as I can. Don't tell my husband!I look forward to seeing what everyone is up to and how they get there!
Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
That's an excellent tour idea. We were in a number of them this past month in the Western States (Yellowstone, Zion, Bryce, Arches, Grand Canyon + a bunch of National Monuments alone the way) and, if you like to plan, plan on being out of them by the first of July, they get real crowded after that...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote