New Kid on the Campground Block - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #1

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
New Kid on the Campground Block

Hey!

I'm Drew, a young-ish fella in Minnesota looking for my first camper (my 401k is started, no kids yet, don't live with my parents). I was raised camping in tents and popups across much of the western US. I married a wonderful woman back in February (who willingly tent camps with me) and she has not seen Yellowstone, Rocky Mtn, or Arches national parks!

I'm hoping to find a 13ft scamp in the next year or so- my price range isn't high enough for a brand new model but I am willing to do cleaning, updating, and repairs (as well as travel to pick up). I'm handy- maintain my Ford Ranger and do all sorts of home repairs.

I have a handful of (possibly) stupid questions that I'll be asking around the forum, so thank you all in advance for your wisdom. Happy trails.
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #2

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome and good luck in your quest for your scamp.

You know what they say: only stupid question is the one you didn't ask... but should have.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2008
Phone "Scamp", when I picked-up mine, I noticed they have resales! Mountain travel might be do-able on InterState without brakes (not legal in some provinces in Canada..put you usually just get a warning!) To be safe I have one with brakes, but I still burn through pads on my Dakota. My travel is mostly back and forth to South Carolina and around North of Lake Superior. hope this helps, good luck ... bill
scouterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Drew and "wonderful woman" welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here. Because you're willing to do some sweat equity, you've already opened a larger door of possible sales. Be sure to check the For Sale and Referral forums here on FiberglassRV. Also you may want to check out: Molded Fiberglass Trailers | Fiberglass RV's For Sale can't hurt to look for your perfect trailer in as many places as possible.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Drew, Check Craig's list around Mn. Wis. & ND. Also here. I posted some I saw recently.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Lots of people here get 3-foot-itis. They start out with a 13' camper and then want a larger one. I was one of those. Keep an eye open; you might find a 13 foot one here from someone who got a larger one.

And welcome!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I see you are in Minnesota. When I checked there was one listed on Craigslist at Two Harbors, Mn. Use the Duluth/Superior listing. 2003 Scamp Deluxe
Or this one under Mankato: 1998 Scamp Travel Trailer - $5800 (Mound, MN) 13'.
There is a newer one in Duluth. Search both under Wisconsin and MN. For some reason you get different results for the same area.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #8

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Escape
Alaska
Registry
We just got our 13' used Scamp this spring (and LOVE it) but I did a lot of searching beforehand. If you think you might want to upgrade to a 16' later (kids? dogs?), you may want to hold out for a Scamp with a bathroom. When it comes time to sell, they move quickly and for a good price.
GingerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Short Lived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Drew, Check Craig's list around Mn. Wis. & ND. Also here. I posted some I saw recently.
When we were looking for our Scamp, several came up for sale on the Twin Cities Craig's list, They usually were sold in one to two days unless they were in terrible condition . We learned to check the list almost every day after loosing out several times by being too late . We found one for sale only 20 miles from our home in a twin cities suburb. GOOD LUCK!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote