New kid on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #1

Name: jane
Trailer: currently shopping
Texas
New kid on the road

Hi Everybody! I am a new old camper. I grew up camping in tents and have decided in this 2nd half of life on my own to return to the road and 'off' road with a little camper pulled by my Ford Escape Titanium Ecoboost with towing package. This is published to be able to tow up to 3500# so I am looking at: the Scamp; nuCamp 320S Boondock; and Little Guy Mini Max Rough Rider. I would love to hear feedback and advice from you more experienced folks out there in the camping world. Thank You and Happy Camping Everybody!
Janie-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Any 13-16' trailer will work to you. Casita deluxe 17' may not work because of too high tongue weight.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #3

Texas
new kid on the road

if you have any wisdom from experience recommendations, I am very appreciative. Thank You
Old 08-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome!

The trailers on your list are very different in design and purpose. Only one (Scamp) is all-molded, which is the focus of this forum.

What’s best for you depends on what sort of travel and camping you plan to do. We love our 13’ Scamp, for example, but it’s not really a backcountry trailer.

Tell us a bit about your plans, intended tow vehicle, and basic requirements, and you’ll get better suggestions.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #5

Texas
Thank you! Well, I would like to do some light off-road travel but I am most eager to make some road trips to the various national and state parks throughout North America. Despite being a native Texan, I love the snow country as well. This is my first venture into using a RV for travel although I have tent-camped all my life. I thought I’d invest/start small with both a smaller automobile and RV initially and make bigger changes as indicated over time. I travel light and live simple; and prefer being outside to inside most of the time so don’t require big arrangements.
I hope this sheds a little light on things to help wiser travelers offer advice.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Another very good option would be the 16' Casita. I towed one for a couple of years with a 6 cyl. Toyota RAV4, also tow rated at 3500#.
They aren't nearly as common as the 17' but they are still made and used ones come up for sale occasionally.

Walt
Old 08-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #7

Texas
Thank you, Walt. The Casita 16’ is on my list too. Can you tell me how well it tolerated mild-mod rough terrain? I know that’s a loaded question because you don’t know me. I am very responsible and patient, especially with equipment ��
Old 08-08-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie-t View Post
Thank you, Walt. The Casita 16’ is on my list too. Can you tell me how well it tolerated mild-mod rough terrain? I know that’s a loaded question because you don’t know me. I am very responsible and patient, especially with equipment ��
Once I put a lift axle on it I had no problems Of that kind.

Walt
Old 08-08-2020, 01:49 PM   #9

Texas
Smile new kid on the road

Walt,
Thank you for your information. That is very encouraging to hear.

p.s. pretty pup.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 13 ft
For years I backpacked so I got very used to traveling light. Then I picked up a 13' Casita. I loved it! It was a simple rig. No toilet, no shower, so I did not have to worry about finding a dump station. The Thetford Porta-Potty is easy to empty at any forest service pit toilet or even in a home toilet. It was light enough to pull with practically any car and tough enough to pull over any forest service road.

In Texas summers, I need an AC so I picked up a 5000 BTU at a big box store for next nothing and installed it in the rear window. Since I never stay in a trailer park, I used a Honda generator. It would freeze me out even during the Texas summertime. It would pull fine over forest jeep trails as long as I did my part.

Recently I traded the 13' for a 16' with shower and toilet. It was a mistake! The 16' is more cramped feeling than the 13' and has less usable space. The shower and toilet are a hassle to use and maintain. Not only do I have to be constantly on the look out for dump stations, I have to carry a sewer hose, etc. The sewer connections are so low that I have to lie on the ground to connect them. Obviously, I have to be careful where I go while pulling the 16' trailer.
Yvimij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #11

Name: graham
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Alabama
Is your Escape AWD? Most combinations of tug and trailers are ok on dirt roads, just go slow. As the roads get rougher, then 4x4 or AWD and ground clearance of the tug are important as well as a small trailer with good ground clearance. Off roading makes those issues much more important and usually requires specialized equipment designed for that environment.
Graham
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Think about living space requirements too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ivy View Post
No toilet, no shower, so I did not have to worry about finding a dump station. The Thetford Porta-Potty is easy to empty at any forest service pit toilet or even in a home toilet.
I agree with Jim. A porta-potty is way better than dealing with dumping stations, and if you are boon-docking, there won't be a dumping station.

The thing I love the most about my little trailer is that it has a 2nd small dinette. This enables me to keep my large dinette down as the bed permanently and eat or play cards on the small table whenever I want. Having to stash all the bedding each morning to make the table would be annoying and mean that I'd have to leave storage space available for the linens and pillows instead of other things. This also enables me to use a bed-size piece of 4" foam (cut to fit) over top of the dinette cushions to make it super comfortable.

Also means that I can go in and have a nap at any time of day.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Picking out a trailer is always a chore but it gets easier if you can look at a few trailers and make a list of the features you want. Here's a selection questions to ask yourself. I'm sure others can add theirs.
(1) Do I want a toilet? (Never a problem until it's 3AM and the camp toilet is 100 yards away.)
(2) Do I want to be able to stand up in my trailer?
(3) Do I need an air conditioner? (Useless for boondocking but great if you intend to stay in campgrounds with electrical service.)
(4) Do I need a refrigerator? How about a freezer?
(5) Do I want propane for heating and stove? (Yes, there are trailers out there without gas. Looking at you, lil Snoozy.)
(6) Do I want to be able to have a dinette without having to take the bed apart? (Some smaller trailers are like this.)
(7) Where am I going to take my trailer and will I have enough ground clearance? (Just paved roads, easy dirt roads, or some mild 4-wheeling?)
(8) Am I looking to buy new or used? (Buying new gives you a few years with few problems. But ALL trailers need work sooner or later. It saves a lot of time and money if you're handy with tools.)
(9) Is the bed big enough for me?
These are just some of the issues you will have to deal with on your quest for a trailer of your own. But if select carefully, you will have many years to enjoy it.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote