new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Fleetwood Evolution
I'm not sure if I'm doing this right ,but here goes. I just signed on today and I don't own a fiberglass rv. I'm in the process of selling my popup(I know,a bad word).I have a big question.I'm 6'2" and 300lbs. are there anyother big people in little campers .They look really neat and I would like to own one someday,soon.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 16 ft
Hello Dave, Welcome aboard to FG trailers! To give you an idea. Most Fiberglass trailers like Scamp and Casita have lower ceilings. Our 13 ft is around 6' 1in. and at 5'9" it just clears my head. The rear beds are 6'4" long and 50" wide, so you should fit. It will work for you but its going to be a bit cramped. If it's just one person all the better. If you are the type of camper that spends most of his time outside and only use the trailer for sleeping and cooking then that is also something to consider. I can tell you that your old popup probably had more room than most of the FB units. The exception would be the 19ft 5th wheel from Scamp. Those are downright roomy for most people.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Hello Dave, Welcome aboard to FG trailers! To give you an idea. Most Fiberglass trailers like Scamp and Casita have lower ceilings. Our 13 ft is around 6' 1in. and at 5'9" it just clears my head. The rear beds are 6'4" long and 50" wide, so you should fit. It will work for you but its going to be a bit cramped. If it's just one person all the better. If you are the type of camper that spends most of his time outside and only use the trailer for sleeping and cooking then that is also something to consider. I can tell you that your old popup probably had more room than most of the FB units. The exception would be the 19ft 5th wheel from Scamp. Those are downright roomy for most people.
Thanks Evan.I have the Evo up for sale now,but it's hard to tell when it will go.In the mean time,we are tossing around the possibilties.I'm wondering if I can pull the Scamp 5th wheel with my GMC Canyon I-5? It's not the weight I'm concerned about,but the type mfg it is.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Dave,
The question is...in addition to yourself, is there anyone else. If so, how big are they. I'am 6'3" and 210 lbs. My wife is 5'7" and about 125. We own a Trillium 4500 which has a bigger bed and 6'5" for laying. The height in these are 6'2". So the 15 foot Trillium 4500 would be a good choice or a 17 foot Burro Widebody would work fine. I hope this helps you. I also have a full size bunk that can support 2 more adults or grown kids. Plus a full self-contained bathroom , loveset, 3.0 cubic frig, furnace, 3 burner stove, we love it!

Dave in Michigan
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Welcome!

I'd suggest a 17' foot fiberglass rv model. Or a 16' if you go for a Scamp. You'll need the headroom. Until recently, I weighed 240 pounds. Now I'm down to 195, but I was concerned about the bed size. It was fine for me and my wife and we were both really heavy when we bought the Casita. We've now both lost a lot of weight, so we have even more room.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Hi Dave,

6'3" & 275 with wife (I like having her around so no dimensions forthcoming) and we get along fine in a 16' Scamp. Most of our time is spent outside but we've made a couple of extended (10-14 day) trips without feeling too confined. No problems with bed although I do have to bend down at bit when moving around and the john poses a small challenge. Never had a popup but these things beat the heck out of a tent.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:53 AM   #7

It is just the wife and I and our 11 mo. old Jack Russel/terrier/?/?/? mix puppie(Hotdog).I am still working (truck driver),so it would be mostly weekends and 4 weeks vacation a year.We were camping in Maine a few years ago and a canadian couple was in a very small fiberglass.I thought it was so neat.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
For a couple and a puppydog, I would suggest one of the 16 foot models with a 6'3" clearance, or a 17 foot model. I have a pal at work who is really tall and he does fine in his 2004 Casita 17-foot Spirit Deluxe.

One thing I can say...you will more than likely love your fiberglass RV, no matter which model you choose. My wife and I adore ours and we've never done so much camping as we have since buying the Casita.
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 2003 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe and 1989 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Talking

Welcome to the forum. We had a 16 ft Scamp and the ceiling height was 5ft 10in I am 6ft 2in
after I installed the air conditioner this lowered the height to ft 8in so i was always conking my head on things.

I sold the Scam and bought a 17 ft. Casita Spirit Delux. The interior height is 6ft 3in.

I works great for us as well as the queen bed.

Harv in Colo.
Harvey Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Plus a full self-contained bathroom , loveset, 3.0 cubic frig, furnace, 3 burner stove, we love it!

Dave in Michigan
I think it was a typo, but I want a "loveset" anyway!
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #11

Quote:
I think it was a typo, but I want a "loveset" anyway!
Charlynn,
No, this was not a typo!!!! I have 2 rooms that open to one open area via a bi-fold door in my Triliium 4500 Deluxe. When the door is in position, It creates a private full self-contained bathroom with sink. When you open it, the bi-fold door swings in front of the toilet to hidei it. Just below the wrap around counter top and sink is a "Pocketed Love Seat" that drops down, or it also has a card table option "All-in-One" This is very nice on those cool mornings, where my wife and I can sit on the Love-Seat and have our coffee, and not have to convert the queen size bed and full size bunk bed above to the table conversion! I think the Trillium 4500 Deluxe that I own with the additional options has to be my pick as the #1 design of almost all fiberglass trailers, even though there are some pretty cool ones I would'nt mine owning in addition to my "Slice of Heaven" on 2 wheels

Dave in Michigan
Old 05-20-2006, 06:07 AM   #12

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
I own a deluxe 4500 as well, the drop down table with the love seat is great for food prep, toaster or other small appliance and many other uses.
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #13

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Thanks Evan.I have the Evo up for sale now,but it's hard to tell when it will go.In the mean time,we are tossing around the possibilties.I'm wondering if I can pull the Scamp 5th wheel with my GMC Canyon I-5? It's not the weight I'm concerned about,but the type mfg it is.
Hi Dave!

You Canyon I-5 ought to be able to tow a Scamp 5th wheel. The only issue (regarding towing) you'll have to face buying a used one is the bed height and whether it matches the trailer hitch height. That's not an issue that can't be overcome by a competent welder who can put spacers between the frame and axle if necessary, but it will be an issue.

For you at 300lbs though, it will be a challenge getting up into the bunk if you buy a front bath model. The stairs are pretty narrow. The front couch model should be no problem, but then you'll probably have issues with fitting into the small side bath.

Good luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #14

Quote:
I own a deluxe 4500 as well, the drop down table with the love seat is great for food prep, toaster or other small appliance and many other uses.
Paddy,
Thank you. I some times think I'am the only one replying on behalf of our Trillium 4500's specifically! Oh, by the way , I'am looking for an original screen room for my Trillium 4500, and have a 2 year old awning I bought from Sears Canada that I could trade or something like that. Let me know...O.K.?

Have a nice weekend
Dave in Michigan
Old 05-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Michigan Dave and Paddy,

I'd love to see photos of the interior of your 4500 Deluxe - it sounds great! I checked the album, but I think there are only shots of the 4500's exterior.

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 AM   #16

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Quote:
Michigan Dave and Paddy,

I'd love to see photos of the interior of your 4500 Deluxe - it sounds great! I checked the album, but I think there are only shots of the 4500's exterior.

Jeanne

Hi Dave and Paddy;

We have a '78 Trillium 4500 too and we swear by it. Maybe some of the pictures on our web site will help you get an idea of what these things are all about.

Good luck!
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Paddy,
Thank you. I some times think I'am the only one replying on behalf of our Trillium 4500's specifically! Oh, by the way , I'am looking for an original screen room for my Trillium 4500, and have a 2 year old awning I bought from Sears Canada that I could trade or something like that. Let me know...O.K.?

Have a nice weekend
Dave in Michigan
I don't have one, saw a 4500 for sale the other night, the model with the front bunks no snaps on it for the original awning though either. The chap (or in his case monsieur) was asking 7000 bucks for it, if he parks it there again I'll get the number off it if anyone wants to call. He says it's an '80.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Hi Dave and Paddy;

We have a '78 Trillium 4500 too and we swear by it. Maybe some of the pictures on our web site will help you get an idea of what these things are all about.

Good luck!
Eggsellent, thanks Ken.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #19

Well.Ok. I'm glad I came here and visited.You all have been very helpful and I appreciate it.Now I'm just waiting for some lucky person with a checkbook or good credit to give me a call and say they want mine.I'm pretty sure we will lean toward the Casita.There is no way the wife will let me get a welder close to her Canyon.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Dave, welcome to the forum. I found this a very informative place to learn about these trailers before buying mine. Good luck with your search.
Robert B is offline   Reply With Quote