New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #1

Name: Howard
Trailer: 1986 13' Burro
Arizona

Have been looking over this site alot since I decided to down size from my 27' (when open) popup to a 13-14' fiberglass trailer. WOW!! Are they hard to find but think I have a lead on one, unfortunetly it is in Dallas and I am in Phoenix. So, my daughter who fortunetly lives outside of Dallas was able to go look at a 13' Burro for me. Individual who owns it now has been going through it an has done alot of remodeling. Here is a list of what has been done:
All windows and roof vent were removed and resealed to the shell with urethane.
New tires on the axle. (it could use a new spare)
Axle bearings freshly packed with new seals.
Cabinets made but not yet stained -- no doors cut yet.
Wood covers cut for stowage compartments
Bracket made for window unit to fit in front window under rock shield. Window unit is included.
New electrical outlet installed for A/C unit
New vinyl flooring
New sink faucet
Stove rebuilt
New safety chains
Flip up tongue jack.

What still needs to be done:
Cabinet doors cut and installed and all cabinets stained
Foam and upholstery for beds (have the old stuff for patterns)
Table mount installed. (it comes with the mounts and pole)
New table cut and stained (old table is available but not as nice as the rest of the interior)
Curtains and rods
Carpet for roof strip
He is asking 3,000 for it. So I am hoping this is a fair deal. Any suggestions?
If I do buy it my daughter and her husband will be pulling it out here in November. I know if I decide to get it I will be chomping at the bit to get it here and get it ready for spring.
So any type of inut would be appreciated,,,Thanks
Ralefan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Name: Harvey
Trailer: 1972 Trillium
Nova Scotia
Registry
Ralefan46
If the frame and shell is in good condition then it's probably worth what they are asking. Prices vary across the country and in other countries, here in Nova Scotia $3000. would be a good price. It sounds like the owner did a fair bit of work already, which adds to the value. Good Luck

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Two things come to mind here (from someone who just bought a '83 Burro himself..) First, check the floor very carefully for soft spots, especially since the CO has felt the need to re-seal all the openings. That fiberglass sandwich that Burro used then has a tendency to take in water through the edges (at the walls) and delaminate or worse just turn to mush.

Second, I am wondering where the cabinets are to be installed? The original 13 footer had built in cabinets and storage and the only place for additional cabinetry was at the front and back over the respective seating units/beds. These need to be securely attached to the existing inner shell (read "glassed in") and I can't imagine them being only partially installed and unfinished. The doors on the various stowage areas and built-in cabinets are very simple to attach, though. Mine have the original hinges that screw into the wooden door panel and have small brass bolts going through the fiberglass on the inner shell. It's a most satisfactory arrangement.

If concerns are answered in satisfactory manner, the price is not too bad. I just paid $2500 for mine last month and was willing to travel over 500 miles each way to see and then buy it. (But then again, I'm probably a little crazy!)

Froggie

PS I'm looking for a spare tire as well. Mine came with two studs sticking out of the back wall but no rim or tire.
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

Arizona
My son in law went with my daughter and took a real good look at the floor. He didnt see any problems with floor, and even crawled under it to check frame which he said was in real good shape. As far as the cabinets go I believe what he was refering to was he basically rebuilt the ones that are already there by installing new wood. At least thats what i see from pictures he sent me. So, with all that, sounds like it may be a pretty good deal. Here is crossing fingers this will work out for me. Thanks all
Howard
Oh yeah, I to am gonna have to find a rear tire and rim,,,are they that hard to find??
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #5

Virginia
Registry
Last question first... I haven't started looking yet. Maybe another of our members can give us both some insight into finding a matching wheel to use for our respective spares. If someone has replaced their wheels with something different, maybe we could split their unused pair.

I hope all goes well with the floor situation. I am especially sensitive as the PO of my Burro had to do a full frame-off and replace all the wood... a job I wouldn't wish off on anybody.

Be sure and go to the Document Center on this site and download the 47 page instruction manual for our vintage Burro. Another member sent it to me to get it posted, and it is about as thorough as a manual can get. It has a page with all the dimensions of the wooden doors, etc. that may prove useful to you. Drop me a line if I can be of help!

Froggie
Old 07-19-2011, 02:23 AM   #6

Arizona
Thanks for the info Froggie, I sure will get that. I decided today to buy it, so if all goes smooth it should happen soon. Like I said I probably won't get my hands on it till November though, when they come for a visit. But am thinking it will be worth the wait!!
Howard
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #7

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralefan46 View Post
Thanks for the info Froggie, I sure will get that. I decided today to buy it, so if all goes smooth it should happen soon. Like I said I probably won't get my hands on it till November though, when they come for a visit. But am thinking it will be worth the wait!!
Howard
Sounds like a plan, Howard. Of course you can always be looking here for the things you know you are going to need (like that spare wheel) and be learning how things work by reading the instruction manual. The ones provided by Burro were mostly geared toward assembly, but you should be able to get some pretty good ideas about maintenance etc. as well, I know know I did.

Regards,
Froggie
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #8

Arizona
Oh yeah,,have been looking and did dl the manual. I really appreciate the help
Howard
Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I hope it is still available. They go fast.

Maybe you can start a new thread and see if anyone here might be able to deliver it to you after you buy it.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote