New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

Name: Karen
Trailer: shopping
Wisconsin

Hi, I'm Karen. I'm a single teacher, planning to retire in 2015, sell everything and take off in a fiberglass trailer, which has not yet been chosen or purchased.

Just introducing myself. I have been perusing this website for six months.

I know I will have lots of questions, and I hope I can become part of this community.

Thanks in advance.
Miss Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Miss Karen!

What do you think will be important to you in a trailer? Bathroom? Headroom? Bed size? Cold weather performance? Gas consumption? Age?.....
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Karen.

Lots to learn on this place.
Can definitely get questions answered.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Welcome, Karen. My wife is a happily retired teacher. Bet you can't wait!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi and Welcome.... For starters, sorta to put the horse before the cart, what will you be towing with? You current or planned TV (Tow Vehicle) can have a huge inpact on what you can consider.

Again, welcome aboard.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Hi Karen,

I took off from Wisconsin myself and never went back - didn't like those winters. Welcome to Eggland!

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Karen,
check out rvsue and her canine crew | Living on less and enjoying life more , she is a retired teacher and full times in a casita for over two years.
Jay Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:40 PM   #8

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Great site to learn. I'm another teacher who plans to hit the road in 2018. It's never too early to plan.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yo Karen. Teachers are my heros. They're guiding the future for all of us! I hope you find egg-actully the perfect rollin' home for YOU!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #10

Wisconsin
thanks to all

to answer some questions,

I've pretty much settled on a 16 ft., with a bathroom.

I now drive an 06 Scion. I'll be looking for a pickup with a cap when the time comes. Any advice will be welcome.

Karen
Old 01-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Now the question of budget. How much do you want to spend? It is possible to get one really cheep. My last one was $100, but it is 13' with a collapsed roof, (I'm working on that). The other end of the spectrum would be a brand new Escape. Not cheep, but worth every penny.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #12

Wisconsin
Yes, I have looked at Escapes online and I hear such great things about them. Since I am planning full time, I want something comfortable, practical, and reliable. For the right item, I may spend the $.

I am used to tent camping. I certainly won't spend much time inside my trailer except in bad weather or when I'm sleeping.

Tell me why you are so enthusiastic about Escapes? Would it be worth talking to them?

Karen
Old 01-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
Best advice we got was to attend a rally where there was a variety of brands, sizes, layouts, etc. We thought we could manage with a small trailer but the first time in a 13 foot Scamp was a little too crowded. After a couple of rallys and some private tours we decided an Escape 5.0 was just about right for us.

As you can tell already, egg owners are fantastic people. Each and every one will go out of their way to help you.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome Karen, I have to give you props for retiring as a teacher. You've seen so many changes over the years I know. My 26 year old daughter is a teacher. I have had large campers both drivable, tag alongs and fifth wheels. We sold our big unit two years ago and I have purchased two Scamps since then. First was a tag along 16'. great camper but we found a Scamp fifth wheel a month later at a great price. So, I sold the 16'. The best thing is there so easy to pull. I know you said you have been a tent camper. However, when it starts raining hard and your inside your FG unit. You will be soooooo happy. Good luck on the search. By the way I have a small four door 2012 Chevrolet Colorado I-5 cylinder. It pulls great and is easy on gas.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Karen View Post
Tell me why you are so enthusiastic about Escapes? Would it be worth talking to them?

Karen
For every single person looking to purchase new, it's all about budget and layout and what works best for you. Attending an all molded towable gathering is a great place to view different brands and do a sit/lay test. IMHO it's important that you touch bases with all new all molded towable manufacturers. You'll find different budgets and layouts... oooops I've already said that.

And yeah, I have an Escape 5er on order. Upsizing just a couple of feet. Because that will work for ME and my future plans!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Karen View Post

Karen
Welcome Karen
I currently have a small 16' square box trailer which I find too small for longer then a couple weeks for the 2 of us. We're going with fiberglass because I'm tired of box trailers and their water problems. Escapes in particular work for us due to the size of the 2 new models, the 21' and the 5th wheel. Did not look at the others as they were too small for us.

I'd not overlook any of the brands that has a floorplan and size that works for you.

Best of luck
Bob

A quick look at the Rally Map above shows a rally in Egg Harbor Wi in June, if it's close.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #17

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Now the question of budget. How much do you want to spend? It is possible to get one really cheep. My last one was $100, but it is 13' with a collapsed roof, (I'm working on that). The other end of the spectrum would be a brand new Escape. Not cheep, but worth every penny.
Actually the other end of the spectrum also includes a brand new Oliver. Also not cheap but also worth every penny. But, since the OP stated that she was looking for a 16 footer, those two brands are moot since neither are producing such a beast.

http://www.olivertraveltrailers.com/

http://escapetrailer.com/
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 AM   #18

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
in addition, her tow vehicle may also limit her trailer size. Karen, if you are wishing to full time remember these fiberglass units last 20-40 years and it is not uncommon that you may have 2-3 different tow vehicles while owning one. A bigger tow vehicle may be needed for a 17' Escape/Casita or 16' Scamp.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 AM   #19

Wisconsin
I didn't mean 'exactly' 16 ft. I meant 'about' 16 ft. The advice about going to rallies is good. I'll try to hit at least a couple this summer. If I can get inside a few of those, I'll have a better idea of what I need. As for a vehicle, I'll be buying something to match my trailer of choice.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #20

Wisconsin
I drive by that campground every day! I'll definitely go. Thanks!