New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #1

Name: SD
Trailer: Aliner
no thank you

We are planning a 12,000 mile six week trip next week with our new 2015 Odyssey TV and 12' Ranger Aliner. (Yes, I have given the depreciation factor a lot of consideration and have not come up with a better solution- owning a new two month old vehicle with 15,000 miles isn't the smartest idea, but reliability and comfort are key.) We have had this trip on the calendar for seven months and all the while we've looked relentlessly for a used Casita or similar. However, this has had a snowball effect. We started with a 8 month old CRV AWD but found the 1500 max tow capacity far too limiting. So a new Honda Odyssey entered the scene (3500 tow/350 hitch capacity) and still we could not find a decent trailer anywhere. Our local RV dealer had a Casita for sale for a few minutes! Someone across the country bought it on the phone for $4K over what he had in it for trade, minutes after he posted it! As the clock ticked down to d-day, we had to make a decision. (At least the Aliner has fiberglass sides.) We got a GREAT deal and are ready (almost) to hit the road. I will spend this weekend putting on a hitch, AT cooler, brake controller and wiring. I have learned a tremendous amount of information from this site and the generous, kind and knowledgable folks who contribute their wisdom to those who ask. Thank you forum members for your sage advice and considered recommendations. I may to try to post pics on the road, at least post trip. There will be a dash cam as well, but that will require heavy editing.
Homer the Iliad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
As long as you are out there making memories, it's all good. Who knows, you might eventually end up with a molded fg. As you can see, there is more than one member here that does not have one. So, don't let that keep you away.
Save and happy travels.
And, yes we do love pics, so post plenty!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote