New member! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Roxy
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Talking New member!

Hi I'm Roxy and am the proud owner of a 1971 Boler 1300.
The trailer was gifted to me in 'almost' original condition, but definitely NOT 'like new' condition, as it's been sitting under a tree for 2-3 years, and has not received much attention for about 6 years prior.
It has had 2 prior owners that I am aware of, and I can see there has been some Mickey Mouse style handyman work done to the wiring.
I still have to have it inspected before I turn any propane sourced appliances (lol)
I have towed it with my 2007 Honda Fit twice through the Rockies for weekenders, Low and slow as they say. Seems fine. Wishing I had more towing experience.
I've noticed through reading the history and specs that most of the innards were crafted from hardware stores, which is where I work. And am able to replace to 'stock' conditions most of it. But some of the detailing is vague so I'm glad I've joined this forum!
My first 4 questions are
1) where do I find a replacement handle/lock for the door
2) was I a piano hinge used for the bunk bed installation?
3) the fridge is newer and not installed, hooked up yes, but not sealed in place, how do I do this?
4) I'm at odds for keeping it original or minor to moderate customizing...thoughts?
Whew!
Thanks guys!
Old 04-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Roxy!

I am going to suggest you consider upgrading your tow vehicle ASAP. Honda does not rate the Fit to tow anything. If it's a manual transmission and if you are very careful with the clutch and if you take your time... you just might get where you want to go. But a trailer of that size typically weighs 1500 pounds or more once you load it with basic supplies and equipment, and your Fit was simply not designed to control or stop that much weight. To make matters worse, I'm guessing it probably doesn't have trailer brakes set up.

Bottom line is you are taking a big risk every time you head out in that rig.

A Honda CR-V (or Element) is a better choice (2002 or newer with 2.4L). Even then, with a 1500 pound tow rating, it's marginal. Depends on whether you have extra people and gear with you.

Best wishes with this, and please be safe!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Arizona
Registry
Scamp attaches the bunk to the ledge with two offset hinges. I believe the Boler is similar. The ledge, not the hinges, carries the weight, so you'll want to make sure it's solid. It can be weakened if the front window has ever had a leak. This is looking toward the front wall from under the top bunk.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bunk Ledge.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	105029

I believe Boler uses a different door latch, so others will have to help you with that. A picture of the fridge would help. Is it a dorm-type fridge (110V only) or is it an RV-type fridge that runs on propane as well as electric?

As to restoration, definitely do what you want. These are not so rare or valuable to warrant faithful restoration to original. Make it work for you!

Before you put too much time and money into cosmetic stuff, though, check the floor, frame, axle, tires, window leaks, etc. First things first.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Roxy
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thanks guys
Ya a bigger vehicle is definitely needed that's for sure
There are no leaks anywhere but the ledge for the bunk is somewhat pulled away.
I'm guessing I need a pop rivet gun.
I'll have to look into the fridge, I know it runs on electricity, not sure about propane.
I do need it inspected to see where to start.
I'm in luck, there's a reputable RV place in town and a specialized Boler restoration/Armadillo manufacturer 40 minutes north of here.
And thanks again for the support.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
How about some pics Roxy
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 PM   #6

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Hi Roxy, I am a new person as well, bought my 1st boler last week and its been keeping me busy, nothing really major just some personalized stuff. Someone jammed a 110 fridge in mine, so I had to move it back and up then fix it in place and trim out the front. I will see if I can post pictures. BTW I am in Maple Ridge
regards Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
New member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerroller View Post
There are no leaks anywhere but the ledge for the bunk is somewhat pulled away.
Sounds like there may have been a leak in the past. I believe the ledge is epoxied to the shell, no fasteners. You will probably have to remove it, possibly cut a new one, and reattach. Some have used oak hardwood instead of plywood for the replacement.

If I were going to do that much work, I might add some wedge-shaped braces under the ledge to make it stronger. Cut notches in the foam for the braces to attach directly to the fiberglass shell.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

Name: Jan
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
well I tried posting pictures but it won't direct link them, so I need to figure out how to do it
Jan
Jan Dyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Dyke View Post
well I tried posting pictures but it won't direct link them, so I need to figure out how to do it
Jan
Go Here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...res-68655.html
and scroll to post #5.