New member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #1

Name: Vicki
Trailer: In the market
Texas

Hi from south Texas. I would really like to find a 13’ scamp or little snoozy without having to go clear across the country. It seems no small trailers available in Texas. Guess as they say… everything is bigger in Texas. Lol
Diamondcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I was just perusing the RV Craigslist in my state as well. There were dozens of large motorhomes and fifth wheels, but small RVs were few and far between. I suspect that’s true wherever you live.

For years, manufacturers have been cranking out large RVs. The market, especially among first-time buyers, is tilting toward small, but production ls out of sync with that trend. Molded fiberglass output is very limited and represents a tiny fraction of the RV market.

You may need to prepare for a long search and/or a wider search radius. Still, you never know what will turn up unexpectedly. I found mine parked next door to the place where I get my oil changed. It had a sale sign, but was not listed online anywhere. Score!

Best wishes in your search!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 07:43 AM   #3

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondcarroll View Post
Hi from south Texas. I would really like to find a 13’ scamp or little snoozy without having to go clear across the country. It seems no small trailers available in Texas. Guess as they say… everything is bigger in Texas. Lol
Casitas are made in Rice, Texas. They still offer a 16' version.

/LEJ

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:04 AM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Casitas are made in Rice, Texas. They still offer a 16' version.

/LEJ
They recently discontinued the 16’ model.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:08 AM   #5

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
They recently discontinued the 16’ model.
Still listed on their website:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/spirit/

But many folks have trouble keeping their websites up to date.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lynn View Post
Still listed on their website:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/spirit/

But many folks have trouble keeping their websites up to date.
Yes, I think that’s the case. It’s still listed in the chart, but as you scroll down you’ll notice there is no price or other information listed for the 16’. It was discussed on the forum a number of months ago, and I believe someone did get confirmation from Casita that the 16’ model was suspended in order to increase production of the far more popular 17’ model.
Old 05-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The lack of trailers in TX is not unique. When I was looking for my Trillium, often there were only one or two for sale in the entire USA. These molded trailers are a niche market with very limited production. It’s a seller’s market, perhaps an extreme one.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 12:48 PM   #8

Name: marcy
Trailer: In the market
CA
Advice for a Crazy Californian?

I've been reading the helpful threads here on and off for 3-4 months and I've concluded it will take a miracle for us to find a small fiberglass RV, new or used. We've just retired, and we've saved some cash to put towards it. But it sounds like other than finding the rare-side-of-the-road unadvertised gem, I'll need to hunt on usedRV sites daily or get on the 2 year waitlist for a new one? Is that the best advice? The RV Trader didn't really have any fiberglass ones for sale and FiberglassRV.com had nothing posted except last November. So maybe looking here is the best way? Thanks for any advice you may have.
marcywestcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:05 PM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcywestcoast View Post
I've been reading the helpful threads here on and off for 3-4 months and I've concluded it will take a miracle for us to find a small fiberglass RV, new or used. We've just retired, and we've saved some cash to put towards it. But it sounds like other than finding the rare-side-of-the-road unadvertised gem, I'll need to hunt on usedRV sites daily or get on the 2 year waitlist for a new one? Is that the best advice? The RV Trader didn't really have any fiberglass ones for sale and FiberglassRV.com had nothing posted except last November. So maybe looking here is the best way? Thanks for any advice you may have.
Fiberglass RVs for Sale is a good place to start:

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/rv-for-sale

Back in 2016 we were in the same boat as you, except New England is more of a molded-fiberglass-trailer wasteland than Texas. We ended up luckily finding a 2013 Casita on New Hampshire Craig's List (you have to go beyond your immediate area); I described it all in the blog post in linked in my signature.

My daughter has had good luck finding obscure and vintage items (including I think their '63 Avion trailer) on the FaceBook Marketplace.

/LEJ

Old 05-27-2021, 05:43 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
It’s like finding anything in high demand, YOU need to make your own luck. Look harder, cast a wider net, let everyone you know you are looking, and be ready to pay full market price. If you want one of these scarce trailers at a well below market price, it’s good to dream but it’s not realistic. I’d rather pay more and wait less to get going!

I found my Trillium by searching nationwide C/L. Somehow, it never showed up on any of the forums or lists, but there it was. Now it was 625 miles away from me, one way. But that is how it goes.

I have a friend that has been looking for a 1960s VW bus. He lives in southern CA. Finally found one in Iowa. Drove to Iowa with a trailer and towed it home. Obviously not convenient but he’s happy!!!

Life is too short to look for that unicorn deal,
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote